Not a stunner but my 1st rod build ever...

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by Alexander, Jan 4, 2014.

1. Alexander Fishon

WA
    Ratings: +293 / 0
    2 piece burgundy, 7'6", 4wt $12 blank :D
    Black hardware
    Burgundy thread
    Gold accent
    missing winding check - not mission critical here. ;)
    U-40 epoxy and rod bond

Not sure why I put this off for so long, so much fun! My goal was to get started cheap to see if I'd like it. Uh, I love it! Was going to get a wrapping kit and then a rod building kit and do it. Instead I went to Utmost Enterprises and got set up with everything for the price of just a wrapping kit. So, I came out with big savings! Now I can buy stuff for a 2nd rod build! :) I learned a few things not to do and my patience was challenged but that's good. Other than that it was great to play around and experiment.

This will be my beater creek stick, I should have called it crick stick instead! It will be for fishing little creeks with my son since he got a nice Redington Minnow setup for Christmas. I like that since if he wrecks it Sage isn't too far down the road for a quick fix. :)

Here are some pics. IMGP0144.JPG IMGP0146.JPG IMGP0148.JPG IMGP0149.JPG IMGP0151.JPG IMGP0152.JPG IMGP0155.JPG
    dfl and David Dalan like this.
  2. LD Active Member

Spokane, WA
    Ratings: +83 / 6
    Can be very addicting........and expensive. Good idea to start with something inexpensive. Inexpensive does not necessarily mean bad, there are some nice rods made with inexpensive components. Nice job for the first time.
    Alexander and Matthew LeBret like this.
  3. Matthew LeBret Active Member

clarkston, wa
    Ratings: +76 / 0

Very true words

I wish I had took a picture of my first hack job. That looks great for a first time build alot better then my first ;)
    Alexander likes this.
  4. David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Walla Walla, WA
    Ratings: +737 / 0
    Looks good to me. Cheap is just fine, I have a great spin outfit that cost $19.99 at K-Mart. And a renewed love for my St. Croix 7/8 that was like $80.

I'd pay more for that for the rod you got there (if I needed one, if you were selling).

I think I need to try this rod building thing out. Looks cool!
  5. Rob Ast Active Member

West Pugetopolis WA
    Ratings: +230 / 3
    Great job for a first attempt. Getting the right amount of epoxy takes practice, but you're not far off there. Using a reference measurement will help you make each of your guide wraps the same length.
  6. Alexander Fishon

WA
    Ratings: +293 / 0
    Thanks guys! :). Yeah, can't wait to do my next rod! Not sure if I want to go another "El Cheapo" or if I want to just step it up and do my next saltwater rod.

I've really been wanting a new Saltwater rod. I currently use a Scott e2 6wt. And instead of going on fishing trips on the OP this winter I've taken what $$ I have and am putting it toward this rod building gig. I'm not so sure I'll ever buy a prefabbed rod anymore. :).

Maybe one more little cheapo crick rod for general family use (we have 4 kids ;)) and then a SW rod for me! :D. I want to build a 5wt fast action rod with fighting butt. I'm looking at a Batson RX 7. I hear there's an RX 8.

Do any of you guys know of a nice casting 5wt blank that will throw a Rio OB short? Or a 40+? I think those lines don't come lower than 6wt but I figure some 5wts can throw them. I fished those lines on my Orvis TLS Power Matrix 5wt and it does alright. I wonder how a Batson RX 7 would do or a PAC Bay Quickline?

Any thoughts? Or any other suggestions?
  7. runner Member

Atlanta, Ga
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    Great job on you first rod, the gold thread can be a bear to keep from coming apart
  8. ambassadeur10000 Member

Ratings: +6 / 0
    good looking build for your 1st shot.
  9. Roger Nott Member

Ratings: +18 / 0
    The Batson RX 8, Pac Bay Quickline, and Mudhole MHX, to name a few, are all a bit faster than the RX 7 which is a med-fast (and a great all arounder). The fly Logic Optima + is maybe a notch faster yet (I have not compered it to a Quickline). The Optima + is underrated in line wt though so if you want a 5wt I'd buy a 4, or buy a 5 and throw it as a 6, etc. A little shopping should get any of those for < $100 with possible exception of the RX 8.
    Alexander likes this.