Not Bad for 7-Months

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by Jim Ficklin, Nov 9, 2011.

1. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

5' from a wild Rooster; held the bird 3-4 minutes until the old guy scrambled-up the steep slope, took a couple photos, then flushed the bird. Wasn't hunting (this is a pristine area I got access to . . . can't hunt it, but can train there & it's full of Pheasants, Quail & Huns. The fun is in watching the pup work, anyway.). Hank is going to be a great dog . . . handles well, considering his age and he knows what it's all about. Saturday hunting was a big zero, bird-wise so I opted to do this on Sunday. Next season at points east ought to be a blast!

[​IMG]

2. Steve Call

Steve Call Active Member

Sounds like you've got a great dog in training!

3. fifafu

fifafu Guest

Nice dog

4. rasbrown

rasbrown Member

Pretty dog...short hair or wirehair?

5. ganglyangler

ganglyangler Bird Dogs and Fly Rods

Media:
    The best part of hunting is a dog. I forgot my license on my last hunt and had my best hunt ever just watching my dog find birds. That is one good looking pup there... love the intensity!

6. Upton O

Upton O Blind hog fisherman

Home Page:
    :thumb: What he said...

7. scottflycst

scottflycst Active Member

Very nice Jim!

8. Jim Ficklin

Thanks, folks . . . I'm quite pleased. Ras, Hank is a Braque du Bourbonnaise (or as Dan Hoke referred to him when someone asked, "A Frenchie." Time & $$$ invested with a great trainer pays huge dividends. I wanted Hank started right on live birds & I obviously succeeded in that quest; the obedience fine-tuning & Dan's training of me was a huge perk. Dan trains more than dogs . . . ).

9. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Media:
    Well done, Jim; this dog'll HUNT!! Wouldn't it be great if there was a dog that'd hunt up and point an elk, and actually hold him!

10. Rick Todd

Rick Todd Active Member

Hi Jim-I used Dan Hoke to train my setter summer before last. He did a good job for me too. My setter is in her second season and really hunting well! I shot 7 pheasants and a couple huns over point with her in Montana on the opener. She also did well on quail, pheasant and huns on the quail opener in the Okanogan. (pointed several pheasants but alas pheasants weren't open! Rick

11. Upton O

Home Page:
    Jim, I think you make a really important point. I had my dog professionally trained but I got more training than the dog. It was necessary to retain the consistency in behavior for the dog and I needed to learn how to act or react with the dog as necessary. My opinion: 90% of the trouble with dogs is the people who own them. Good on you and Hank, I wish you many miles of hunting together.

12. Jim Ficklin

Amen, Upton & thanks All! Must be some birds in your neck of the fields/woods, Alex ye bonny Lad . . . Hank & I could use a road trip (and I happen to know you have Elk steaks . . . mmm, mmm, good . . .). There may be such a dog, but I'd not be fond o' cleanin' up after such beastie. I dinnae budget for a payloader this year and only ken operating a wee shovel . . .

13. Rod Wittner

Rod Wittner Active Member

Media:
    Nice, Jim, very nice. Looks like Hank is coming along exquisitely. And you're not doing too bad yourself.

14. Bob Rankin

Bob Rankin Chasing fur and fish every second I get :)

Hey Jim

Thats a fine looking Dog. Im so glad its going well. We will have to get together some day and hunt.

15. steelydan

steelydan Newb seeking wisdom

Agreed.
    Getting a dog with prey drive on birds early primes the dog for the rest of it's life.
    Staying out of the way of the natural process was something I had to learn.
    A good dog will teach the owner to follow, not lead.

Who wants to hunt this Sunday?

16. Jim Ficklin

Thanks, all!
    And so he does . . .

[​IMG]

Hank's 1st wild Rooster; another dog pointed it, Hank honored, held steady on the flush & shot, then retrieved to my hand. It was a great day. All the time invested together training and bonding has payed dividends.

17. Upton O

Home Page:
    Now that is one hell of a day, Jim! I'm willing to bet this is the day you will have burned into your memory for the rest of your days, especially the "backing" part! Outstanding!

18. Jim Ficklin

Burned into the memory bank & backed-up, Karl. After having Labs for my entire hunting life, pointers are a new experience & I understand how folks become addicted and have 2 or 3. Hank is extremely intelligent & picks things up quickly, but I must admit that retrieving was a challenge . . . it took awhile, but when the "light went on," bingo . . . smooth sailing after that. I reckon part of the frustration was all of the Lab experience over my 63-years . . . heck, Lab puppies "come out of the chute" retrieving. I made a great choice with Hank . . . he's a grand partner whether hunting, fishing, working in the yard, travelling, or whatever. He's a well-mannered house dog, too. We'll work on developing a liking for water next Summer; I had him in it late last Summer, but he wasn't too sure about it all so I didn't push the issue. He's so athletic that seeing him hit the water on a retrieve will be impressive as far as he can leap. I am blessed with this one.

19. Steve Call

Steve Call Active Member

You've got a beautiful dog! Good luck with him!