Not Bad!

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by jjaims, May 11, 2013.

1. jjaims Make fishin’ your mission

Tacoma
    Ratings: +24 / 0
    Not a bad day for a stillwater up and comer. Fished a local lake for about five hours today. This lake is not a secret but is kept on the down low. I just found out about it the other day and judging by the relatively low amount of people it isn't well known. Anyhow... I started about 8:00 this morning. Using an intermediate clear line with 6lb florocarbon to a olive bugger then 4 lb floro to a damselfly nymph about a foot and a half below. Caught two trolling to the south end of the lake. Then I stayed down there and caught many more all in the 10" to 12" range. They recently made this a C&R and there are some big ones in there. I had a couple almost landed that were probably 16"- 18". A very nice gentlemen fishing nearby landed a really fat 20" rainbow. First fish was caught on the bugger then all the rest were caught on a damsel nymph and a big GRHE. What a beautiful day and was actually able to catch fish for once.! Just want to say thanks to all you out there on this site who have given me so much valuable information. Chow

James lake.jpg fish.jpg
  2. ken2cross Member

Lake Stevens, Wa
    Ratings: +13 / 0
    Cool. Thanks for the report. I was wondering when someone would give it a try.
    Ken
  3. jjaims Make fishin’ your mission

Tacoma
    Question from a novice here. A guy on the lake was talking about a turnover on the lake and that it would happen probably in the next three weeks and the fishing wouldn't be that good after that. What exactly is a turnover and how does it effect the lake..... fish.... etc.

Thanks
  4. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    Ratings: +2,558 / 0
  5. jjaims Make fishin’ your mission

Tacoma
    Very interesting info thanks Gene that definitely seems to explain it. This particular lake is shallow. 20' at the deepest spot so according to the article it might not have a turnover because the water temps aren't that different throughout.
  6. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    If the guy has seen a turn over in the past, the lake will do so again ... 20 feet is kind'a the iffy zone so it's possible.

Obviously, the solution is to continue fishing the lake until something happens... Maybe the guy was blowing smoke to get you off "his" lake :D
  7. jjaims Make fishin’ your mission

Tacoma
    Ha maybe! He was really friendly and gave me useful tips that got me into more fish though.. He did make several jokes at my expense though. All in good humor. :)
  8. Stonefish Triploid and Humpy Hater

Pipers Creek
    Ratings: +1,260 / 1
    Hope this isn't a thread hijack. This is something I've noticed on quite a few lakes during spring over the years.
    It is suspended matter that resembles small white balls. They are about the size of polystyrene beads.
    I've seen this be really thick at times at Lone. I fished a lake Saturday that had quite a bit of it as well.
    Is this caused by the lake turning over, some type of bloom or is some kind of organic material releasing off the bottom?
    SF
  9. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    Usually that means the lake is turning over. If the stuff is greenish, then you need to worry about a toxic allege bloom... and that is something you do not want to touch! Allege blooms around here normally take place later on in the summer months and will put an instant halt to fishing.
  10. Stonefish Triploid and Humpy Hater

Pipers Creek
    Ratings: +1,260 / 1
    Gene,
    It is white, not green. Fishing was great Saturday as this was happening.
  11. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    Doesn't really sound like an allege bloom or as if the lake is turning over. Usually the water becomes very discolored so fishing is difficult when a lake turns over....because there can be all sorts of odd looking crap in the water.

Sooooooooo.... I'm not sure what you saw. Must have been alien. :)
  12. Scott Salzer previously micro brew

Ratings: +202 / 0
    There are some nice fish in that lake.

MB
  13. skyrise Active Member

everett, wa.
    Ratings: +51 / 0
    that is a nice looking lake. its great when you can find a lake that is not covered with houses.
    might have to do some homework and check the location.
  14. jjaims Make fishin’ your mission

Tacoma
    Check your inbox
  15. Jim B Flyfishin' and homebrewin'....priorities ?

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +28 / 0
    Gene....I think you mean algae bloom?

Jim B.