nother little wild fish

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by golfman65, Sep 10, 2012.

1. golfman65

golfman65 Guest

funny, just out poking around...found a little summer run!!!
    Amazing what you'll find when not really trying.. nope not telling.JPG

2. Patrick Gould

Patrick Gould Active Member

Looks like you don't have to look to hard to find a steelie, or a deadhead fly fishermen in this state. :)

3. Charles Sullivan

Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

I'm guessing that isn't a steal yourface.

Go Sox,
    cds

4. Sean Beauchamp

Sean Beauchamp Hot and Heavy at yer 6

Looks like your little steelie has a coho snout but it's hard to concentrate when you got your guns out!

constructeur likes this.
  5. Yard Sale

Yard Sale Active Member

Nice and bright too!

6. golfman65

golfman65 Guest

it's a little steel..that's my thumb in the pic making it look like a hook nose..my buds camera didn't catch the color at all...when I saw the pic's surprised me some too...wouldn't have minded hooking some ho's though...especially if they came to the fly like this one...

7. Andrew Lawrence

Andrew Lawrence Active Member

Ahhhh hell Sean. Way to ruin a man's party. (Good eye by the way.)

Nice fish golfman65

8. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Damn you are getting good with your photoshop skills!

9. ralfish

ralfish Active Member

coho... awfully early for a summer to be getting a kype..

10. Derek Day

Derek Day Rockyday

From the pic, it looks like a coho.

11. Yard Sale

Yard Sale Active Member

I meant the Abel nippers. Fancy!

12. golfman65

golfman65 Guest

spots all through the tail..top and bottom!! not a kype..pic's make it look like one but there wasn't one and I had my hand inside the mouth to get the hook out...
    Don't ask me how it traslated in pictures? but it was full on trout colors..our debate was whether it was a big trout or steelhead? never a discussion on it being a ho...

13. Maybe if you tell us where you were, we can verify whether it was a large trout, coho or steelhead. The photo just doesn't give us enough definitive evidence.

14. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

I can't see enough of the fish to be sure one way or the other. But the snout, thumb notwithstanding, looks like it could be coho, as does the anal fin. Coho don't develop kypes. Kypes (the upward hook of the lower jaw) go with Salmo species or former Salmo species. Pacific salmon develop a hook nose, especially coho.

15. Ian Broadie

Ian Broadie Flyfishing is so "Metal"

It's a cute lil' guy, bet he didn't know he was little though.

16. golfman65

golfman65 Guest

Ok, ok...I will REMEMBER to take my camera with me from now on.

I would normally take a pic like in my avatar to make little fish look bigger..:) then you would have seen the color and tail better...but I have to admit, this has been pretty fun!!!

17. Smalma

Smalma Active Member

As Salmo said both the snout and anal fin suggest coho. In addition the apparent lack of spots on the dorsal fin as well as a pectoral fin that appears to be opague rather than transparent again suggest coho rather than steelhead.

Pretty common to see some spotting on the tail of in-river coho with the spots mostly confined to the upper and lower lobes of the tail. Can not tell you how many times I have seen anglers based on coloration were fooled into thinking a coho was a steelhead.

Finally in the last two days I have handled very similar fish from two different north Sound rivers that were clearly coho.

In short IMHO ths dandy little fish is a coho.

Curt

18. golfman65

golfman65 Guest

pappi 3.jpg You know I would have bet anyone on here money it was a steelie..I have caught more then a few ho's and never had one this color Hoh river green back or exactly like the hatchery brats green back..the spots on the tail also had me going...

The talk of the anal fin etc. got me going over all my old pic's etc...I found this fish from my gear days...while you'll say that's almost the same fish..this one was a much more grey blue back ..but if you zoom in the tail...there are spots on the bottom part of the fin as well...they are little where the fish in my original pic's were a bit more pronouced...

Fuck me ..could I be wrong?

19. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Could you be wrong? You are fishing. I'm typing. Who cares if I think your small steelhead is a coho? Still a nice bright fish caught on the fly. What's not to like about that?

20. DKL

DKL Nude to the board

Anybody that wears a handsome sweatshirt like the one in that picture can't ever be wrong.

DKL