nother little wild fish

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by golfman65, Sep 10, 2012.

1. golfman65

golfman65 Guest

Just bugs me as I feel like a retard...looking at what I go on as identifiers and missing that..

I got one last question...here's an ID of fish I dug up...
    the picture of the steelheads mouth is the same as the one I caught..totally white..
    How would I have known this for certain? I hooked it right between the tongue and jaw in the corner and it took me a bit to get the hook out....totally white and I was sold..

Can ho's have white tongues as well? as bright as this one was it had to be damn fresh..so that part I don't know?

salmon.gif

2. nutsack angler

nutsack angler newb

First of all, don't feel bad if you miss a fish ID as you're a fisherman and not a biologist. While everyone makes mistakes I have even seen masters degree holding biologists misidentify fish species so again it's not the end of the world. I'm no expert but that sure looks like a coho

3. Jonathan Tachell

Jonathan Tachell Active Member

Media:
    Looks like a coho but im no fish bio either. Either way nice chromer on the fly.

4. Thomas Mitchell

Thomas Mitchell Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    I don't care which it is. I'm jealous...

I'd trade that fish, whatever it is, for the (expected) skunking I got on the S__k last weekend.

5. golfman65

golfman65 Guest

LoL...I hear you Thomas...was a fun and feisty fight..and as a buddy said..."As long as you got a fish to come out and play" that ain't so bad....

I better move this or delete it from the steelhead page as it's got to be a ho....sent the pic to Nate at burkie...he sent this back..

I sent the photo to a biologist buddy of mine who spent 30 years with ODFW and 10 with the Wild Salmon Center. He took one look and said, "Coho. A really bright little coho."

I got to really learn more about the anal fin so I don't end up being anal..my two guaranteed ID's are not as valid as I thought...

KerryS likes this.
  6. Fishee

Fishee Member

I ain't now biologist either. but base on the picture, the hooked nose and black tail tells me that's a coho. NIce fish either way, GRATZ!

Oh! is that a Hardy Perfect? Sweet reel, I love Hardy Perfects. Looks like a nice summer outfit.

7. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    Gman65,

Don't sweat it. I've been looking at lots of fish for decades, and I've had some in my hands that had me confused. Most fish don't look like the fish ID posters.

Sg

8. Charles Sullivan

Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

Media:
    Home Page:
    G-man,

Please ID the tatoo.

Go Sox,
    cds

9. shotgunner

shotgunner Anywhere ~ Anytime

Media:
    At any rate.. gorgeous bright broad shouldered little fish. Congrats.

10. fishbadger

fishbadger Member

jack coho. doesn't matter though, you tricked him. . .that's what matters,

fb

11. Thomas Williams

Thomas Williams Habitual Line Stepper

Doesnt matter what you caught someone on this forum would try to tell you you were wrong some way or another. Nice fish man, thats all that matters.

12. TomB

TomB Active Member

Not a jack coho. Jack coho return to rivers in the fall of the same year they smolted in the spring at ~4 inches. This means they are typically in the 10-18 inch range, not over 20 like the fish pictured.

13. BDD

BDD Active Member

Home Page:
    If it were a O. mykiss of the resident kind (trout and not steelhead), I would expect it to be a little darker, not as silvery. It does have the look of a coho.

When you have seen literally millions of pounds of fish on deck of a fishing boat and you are having to sort them by species of which the sockeye are $4 bucks a pound and the pinks are a nickle, you don't find too many sockeye in the pink tote or else you get canned real quick. Of course, sometimes folks would try and sneak bright chum in the sockeye tote. Most folks can ID fish in the freshwater stage, after maturing a bit but it is a little different story catching them in the salt.

Funny story about biologists identifying fish, apparently my college biology professor had difficulty with ID'ing fish. But he was a great guy and was the only one who would get up at 3:00 AM to pick the anchor so they let him stay.

14. fishbadger

fishbadger Member

Really over 20 inches? I'm not disparaging the fish, just saying it taint an adult. I've had the annoying opportunity to catch about 30 of those little things this fall, all clustered up in a couple deep pools, some a little bigger than the others, but none were adults.

Now back to our regularly scheduled broadcast,

fb

15. Smalma

Smalma Active Member

I thought the fish in question was an adult coho. The vast majority of coho Jacks I have seen over the years have been smaller than the fish in question. Further on years when the adults are smaller than normal (given the number of smallish fish being caught this would be such a year) I have seen adult females (3 year old fish with fully developed eggs) that only 17 or 18 inches long. Those smaller fish are especially common on rivers that are heavily netted.

In the last month I have caught several fishI thought were coho Jacks (all between 11 and 15 inches) and others that I thought were adult fish (19 to 32 inches long)

However I'll defer to fishbadger's obvious greater experience!

Curt

16. fishbadger

fishbadger Member

Curt,
    You should definitely keep them as your adult allotment!
    fb

17. Smalma

Smalma Active Member

Fishbadger -
    You are correct again - in the river if the coho is under 20 inches the State considers the fish to be a jack and over 20 inches and adult. However that may not reflect the biological reality. On some of our rivers one now finds adult (3 year) mature coho (both males and females) that are less than 20 inches. While we can punch those smaller fish as jacks it doesn't make them jacks. Rather it is just another indication of things are going awry with our river systems .

Just another example for Chinook the jack/adult line is 24 inches. Yet 35 years ago that line was 28 inches. At that time it extremely rare to see any female Chinook less than 28 inches. Today there are significant numbers of female Chinook less than 28 inches and am now seeing females that are even less than 24 inches. Again just another indication of things going wrong.

We should not confuse what rules to makew things consistent and understandable with biological reality.

curt

18. fishbadger

fishbadger Member

Nice synopsis. Sorry for the threadjack all y'all,

fb