NFR Now I understand...

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by DennisE, Nov 16, 2012.

1. DennisE Topwater and tying.

Tacoma, Washington
    Ratings: +72 / 0
    Why Jonathan T went offline.

I shall refrain from contributing to the negativity wars resulting from positive fishing reports when a more detailed location than county, peninsula or marine area is mentioned. It's not worth the aggravation.

It's funny how rivers like the Yak don't seem to have the same strictures, even when there are also limited access areas for wade fishermen. Hmmmm...
  2. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,540 / 9
    Let's not pick the scab off the wound just to watch it bleed. This can likely cause infection.

I Would also like to see this thread not turn into the crap fest that the previous one ended up becoming
  3. DennisE Topwater and tying.

Tacoma, Washington
    Ratings: +72 / 0
    Don't really plan on it. I'm going fishing at ******** to catch ******* and take a mental health break. I need it.
  4. skyrise Active Member

everett, wa.
    Ratings: +51 / 0
    One of the reasons i check on this web site is for reports. good or bad. i get out so little, i need to maximize my time.
    i report, mostly with lakes. but if that gets everyone upset, well---what then?
    and ok, maybe good beaches are a little over an hour away. but that's a lot for me.
    thanks to those that do post how you are doing and where.
    ya know i got into fly fishing cause its fun. be a shame if it was not anymore.
  5. Puget Sound Pimp Banned or Parked

Ratings: +9 / 0
    That's the purpose of this website, and some guys are trying to take it away and mold it into something else.
  6. Mike T Active Member

Gig Harbor, WA
    Ratings: +55 / 1
    It's never been customary for people to post names of specific beaches in their reports. Look at Roger Stephen's posts and show me where he did that. Do a search on Ringlee, Miyawaki, Steve Rohrbach, Don Freeman, Les Johnson, just a few of the respected fishers on our waters. Show me where they post up names of beaches in their daily or weekly reports. They may speak in generalities of beaches, but never say, "9 at Purdy today, "almost caught one at Dalco". This is an open forum, the fish we pursue are heavily pressured, the habitat is sensitive, so many of us ask is that you be sensitive to that and consider your actions.

One can share information without giving away specifics which degrade the fishery.
  7. Mike T Active Member

Gig Harbor, WA
    Ratings: +55 / 1
    When you read reports on the Yak you'll note most often people will cite, "lower yak", "canyon", "farmlands", "ringer". These are all generalities, specific areas that refer to several river miles. That's very similar to a salt report that says, "area 11", if you grab your gazeteer you'll note a beach report from area 11 only leads you to a couple miles of public access beach broken into several locations.
  8. Chris Bellows The Thought Train

The Salt
    Ratings: +877 / 0
    posts on an internet forum make fly fishing less fun?
  9. Chris Bellows The Thought Train

The Salt
    Ratings: +877 / 0
    some people get it, some do not. you are right though in that by far the best fishing reports on this board are not location specific but are more technique and fish specific.

those who have seen the impact from the internet tend to be far more cautious in posting than those who have not. i honestly do not get the posters that give up super specific areas. it is more than posting stoke, as you do not have to be specific to create great fishing reports. it is more than being ego-driven, as one does not have to post specifics to brag.

as long as there is an internet there will be kiss-and-tell fishing reports.
    Kcahill, Mark Mercer and Stonefish like this.
  10. ten80 Active Member

Anchorage, AK
    Ratings: +84 / 0
    While I understand why some have the attitude of "i get out so little, i need to maximize my time," it doesn't mean that reports should be over on a silver platter, because nobody "deserves" or is "owed" fish. The fishing in Washington is often less than stellar so there's no free ticket to fish and putting in your own legwork is part of the game. I know this because after three seasons of often skunked outings and much research, I'm now just starting to consistently find fish (although steelhead continue to elude me). If you want instant gratification, save a couple hundred bucks and go fish with a guide. Some guides will even take the time to teach you how to catch fish (rather than just handing you a rod after the fish bites) and the information gained can be invaluable for future fishing trips on your own (ie. Jim Kerr). "Catching" is not synonymous with "fishing" and that's just part of the game.

Exactly! There's more to catching than just showing up where the fish are. Besides, I've often gone to a specific location only to find that I "should have been there yesterday."

Google maps is a also a wonderful tool! If you're really stumped as to a location, you can always try asking the poster politely via PM or try to meet up with other members looking to carpool to "Area 11" or "Area 9," this has worked for me several times this summer and I've learned a lot because of the chance to fish with different folks. Its amazing how much information knowledgeable folk will share if you offer to pay for gas, bring lunch, buy beer, or row the boat!

The punchline is that there is plenty of information on how to catch fish on this site, but much of it doesn't come for free; you need to use the search function, engage other members in conversations, and put in your own legwork. The info is available to anyone willing to put in a modicum of effort and disseminating location-specific reports does more harm than good to our fisheries and the quality of fishing we enjoy.
  11. 1morecast Active Member

Port Angeles
    While I understand why some have the attitude of "i get out so little, i need to maximize my time," it doesn't mean that reports should be over on a silver platter, because nobody "deserves" or is "owed" fish. The fishing in Washington is often less than stellar so there's no free ticket to fish and putting in your own legwork is part of the game. I know this because after three seasons of often skunked outings and much research, I'm now just starting to consistently find fish (although steelhead continue to elude me). If you want instant gratification, save a couple hundred bucks and go fish with a guide. Some guides will even take the time to teach you how to catch fish (rather than just handing you a rod after the fish bites) and the information gained can be invaluable for future fishing trips on your own (ie. Jim Kerr). "Catching" is not synonymous with "fishing" and that's just part of the game.
    Well said!!

I have never understood why people choose to go out and fish only after they have heard the " fish are in report". Part of the satisfaction I get from fishing is actually the finding, locating fish, figuring out what they are eating- the hunt!

Before the internet I can remember driving hours only to find the rivers blown, the wind howling, or just not finding fish. They were still fun trips sitiing in camp or the local tavern with party favors flowing, shooting the shit with the locals or other fisherman. Some great memories.

Just get out and FISH!!
    Mark Mercer likes this.
  12. Jamie Wilson Active Member

Arlington WA
    Ratings: +99 / 0
    Yeah - like it was in the day. I've traveled miles and miles and miles to fish and never wet a line - for whatever reason - many times bad weather. Had fun anyway with the fellas I was with. When you chase down a spot based on some internet report I have found that "I should have been here yesterday, last week" ... whatever!!!
    I'm with 1morecast - go fish.
    I have "discovered" some great high water spots just by going out.
    I believe we now have a slew of E-fishers - spawned through modern electronic communications.
  13. Josh dead in the water

NW Washington
    Ratings: +517 / 2
    It always amazes me that people simply do not understand the permanence of secrets shared on the internet and of the power Google has to show those secrets to everyone.
  14. Jason Rolfe Wanderer

the beach
    Ratings: +373 / 0
    I'll add that I've gotten some great tips and advice from folks on this forum, always through pms when the advice was location specific, or time/season specific (which is equally important). I think that part of the reason people have felt comfortable sharing with me is that I've tried to be careful about what I share, and I've always been very respectful of the info that people have shared with me.

So, there's that.

Jason
  15. Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Pipers Creek
    Ratings: +1,264 / 1
    If you are going to name the beach you are fishing, go right ahead.
    Just don't complain then if you start encountering more people on that beach. You can't have it both ways.

If you need examples, just go back and look at some of the humpy threads from 09 and 11. People go out and catch a bunch of fish. They post up a report with the location then a few days later come on here and bitch about how crowded it was when they went to fish there again. It will happen next summer as well. You can book it.

Personally, I've always enjoyed the reports that just name the MA area people were fishing. It adds a bit of mystery to the report. There can be a ton of info in those reports regarding successes, techniques, flies, tides, baitfish encountered etc without giving away the specific beach.

SF
  16. daveypetey Active Member

University District, Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +39 / 0
    Forums and Troll Nerd Rage.

The empty vessel makes the loudest sound.

William Shakespeare
  17. Jason Rolfe Wanderer

the beach
    Ratings: +373 / 0
    But I 100 percent approve of Shakespeare quotes. Proper.

Jason
  18. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Ratings: +1,706 / 2
    The internet can and absolutely does blow up spots that otherwise wouldn't have been made popular. Especially when it comes to steelhead, I have had my mind blown at what some positive fishing reports can do to a river. Between my firm belief that less than 1% of the people who read a report I would post would be people I would personally show the spot to, and the flack I've taken for withholding location information in past reports, I've stopped posting reports altogether. Honestly, finding the fish is part of the game. If you can't do that, then take up golf.
  19. skyrise Active Member

everett, wa.
    was not asking for any ones secret spot. don't give mine up.
    just like to read about how some areas are fishing.
    no different than checking out Steel-head University.