Now that's a brown trout......

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Nathan B, Mar 3, 2013.

1. Nathan B Love em and Leave em

Bellevue
    Ratings: +108 / 0
  2. zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Moses Lake, WA
    Ratings: +889 / 1
    I wonder why a fish that size would feed on mayflies. Guess it might have been snack time.
    AKFly7 likes this.
  3. Cedar Active Member

South King
    Ratings: +37 / 0
    Holy crap. I love the lunge with the net at the end.
  4. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,403 / 0
    That fish probably ate just about anything it wanted to. From mice to baby ducks. Small children and little people.
    TwistedChimp likes this.
  5. tediousthumper Hello My name is Thad and Im addicted to flyfishin

Vancouver
    Ratings: +39 / 0
    I remember that vid, it caused quite a stir. Was he casting to a spawning fish? Was it foul hooked? Was it caught many times before, and many times after. I can't answer those questions for sure, but I can say... that it certainly is a big brown.
  6. Abomb Member

In the skinny
    Ratings: +23 / 0
    Caught in 2009 on the Little "T". Fished that area many times. He picked it off a redd. Notice the SPLASH at 18 sec. mark. Awesome fish though.
  7. freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Edgewood, WA
    Ratings: +611 / 1
    I wonder if that was on the Truckee River? Wherever it was, that is a great catch and one that will be solidly lodged in his CPU for life.
  8. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    Ratings: +2,120 / 0
    It's amazing a 30-inch brown would be located in such shallow water. Maybe there just one very large trout in the entire river :)
  9. triploidjunkie Active Member

Grand Coulee, WA
    Ratings: +997 / 0
    Red raper. Guy is pretty infamous because of this video.
    Mayfly Aviator and Mike Ediger like this.
  10. jumbo215 Jasper hickman

lake forest park, wa
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    What a cool experince that must have been!
  11. Mike Ediger Active Member

Spokane, WA
    Ratings: +135 / 8
    Here we go again......only thing legit about this video is the fish. Regardless, gorgeous Brown!
  12. Thomas Williams Habitual Line Stepper

Ansbach, Germany
    Ratings: +344 / 16
    I'm in Nevada now back home visiting. I've been fishing the Truckee hard and have done pretty well. People don't know the monsters that lurk in the Truckee. My first day I lost what looked to be about a 6lb rainbow. Came unbuttoned at the net but I got to fight it awhile. Then yesterday I landed a 22in brown on a 14 Adams dry. Put up quite the fight on my 4wt CT. The Truckee supports healthy populations of fish and its a very challenging river. I'll post a good report in the trip section once I fly home. I'll be fishing pyramid lake on Tuesday.

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using Tapatalk 2
  13. Travis Bille Active Member

McKinleyville, CA
    Ratings: +319 / 0
    That video made it onto some TV commercial
  14. Lugan Joe Streamer

Beautiful View, WA
    Ratings: +677 / 2
    Love how he stumbled through the redd twice before tackling pinning her to the rocks.
  15. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,403 / 0
    Browns spawn in the winter time. That picture didn't look like it was winter there.

Here where I live they close down the Beaverhead from December to May for the Brown trout to Spawn.
  16. Lugan Joe Streamer

Beautiful View, WA
    Ratings: +677 / 2
    I thought browns spawn in autumn...?
  17. ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Eagle River, Alaska
    Ratings: +111 / 0
    Late October, Novemeber, December = Winter in most parts
  18. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    I thought about the spawning river angle but wherever they are fishing does not look like the Fall time of year... that's why I was surprised such a large brown was holding in such a shallow spot in a small river.

Mostl likely, it was all PhotoShopped :D
  19. Richard Olmstead BigDog

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +684 / 0
    Leaves off all the streamside deciduous shrubs and the cottonwoods in the background; high cirrus clouds. Looks like a nice late fall or winter day to me. Perfect time for big browns to move up into skinny water to spawn.

My take on the video is that he had spotted that fish previously and returned with a couple of friends to record the capture. Why else the oversized net and camera angles from both side of the stream. This wasn't just a "whoa, looky what I caught" video. Bussman's holiday, my a$$.

D
    Mike Ediger likes this.
  20. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    Richard, I took another look at the clip and at one point, yellowish leafs are shown on streamside vegetation so I guess the clip could have been shot in the Fall.

And you are correct... I was wondering why the devil the guy was carrying around a salmon/steelhead net for such a small river when we know he catches a brown.

Nice brown but certainly not a home video of a couple guys going fishing.