Nunnall/Lenice trails

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Strike Zone, Mar 3, 2013.

1. Strike Zone Member

Castle Rock, Wash.
    Ratings: +25 / 0
    I was wondering how wide the trail is into Lenice and Nunnally lakes from the parking lots. Also is there any deep sand that I need to worry sinking down in to on the trail? I'm considering taking my 10 foot wooden fly pram into them on a SeaEagle boat cart. The boat weight about 85 pounds or so and is about 42 inches wide on the bottom. Thanks
    Strike Zone
  2. yellowlab Active Member

In a van... down by the river, WA
    Ratings: +89 / 8
    The trail is plenty wide for your pram and dolly, however from the parking lot at Lenice to the lake there is a gate that you have to navigate. My 8' pram doesn't have to be unloaded from the dolly and gear, but if in doubt, just shuttle your gear from the parking spot across the gate and assemble it with good ratcheting tie downs for the hike in. There is hill with sand once you get to the lake and going down isn't the problem, its coming back up especially at the end of a long fishing day. I've done it before in a 10' boat with two prams doubled up and gear, can be done, but you'll be sweating bullets when you get to the top of the hill. Most guys leave their wheels at the launch and its generally a safe spot to leave your things while you're fishing.
  3. jwg Active Member

West Richland, WA
    Ratings: +104 / 0
    The trail to Lenice is firm most of the way, but there is the gate and the final hill mentioned by YellowLab.

Nunnally is a different story and I recommend you scout and see for yourself before committing to dragging your boat on a cart. The hike out, dragging a boat on a cart up a steep loose sandy hill is doable, but again, have a look for yourself before committing yourself.
  4. Scott Salzer previously micro brew

Ratings: +202 / 0
    There is an opeing in the fence to the east of the gate, no need to have to lift a pram over the gate. The hardest part is the sand hill at the most used put in. If you continue to stay on the road you can avoid the sand slope and put in at the next stop east, under the Russian olives.

Just got back from L. I did decent, ended up with about 15 on Fri & Sat. There were about 30 craft on the water both days. Fish ranged from 12", mostly 14-16, up to 18". All strong and healthy. Water temp was about 42-43. Many of the usual opening day regulars.

Today was a bust with heavy winds resulting in whiute caps. I booked out early.

It only gets better!

MB
  5. Strike Zone Member

Castle Rock, Wash.
    Ratings: +25 / 0
    Thank you for the info. everyone. Yellow Lab-- I think I have a similar 10 foot Smith Built pram that you talked about taking into Lenice. I happen to be 65 now so I'm not sure I could pull my boat back up the hill you mentioned that's near the lake. Possibly I might be able to do it east of the main parking lot if it's not too steep or soft where those Russian olive trees are at. I'll have to think about it.
    Strike Zone
  6. Wayne Kohan fish-ician

TriCities, WA
    Ratings: +96 / 0
    Hey Scott, I missed seeing you on Sat. Where you in your pontoon or WB? I met Ron M in the parking lot, he gave me a fly from Irafly, it was a winner for me.

Wayne
    Irafly likes this.
  7. Scott Salzer previously micro brew

SZ:

I would bet that there are many people that would help you get your trout fix at Lenice, just ask. I, for one, would certainly help you out there - down and back. Yellowlab is right, the trip down ain't bad but that loose sand coming up can be a bitch.

I may need the same help someday, so what goes around, comes around.

If I be there, I'll act as your sherpa.

MB
  8. NW_flyfisher if it's not this, then what?

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +5 / 0
    if you do go towards the Russian Olives the trail is still sand, just not as wide as the main put in hill. It's do able, but will stil be challenging because yo still go back up a hill, only graduallyAt least you won't be as discoraged coming back up. Lots of short scruffy brush to run over. I would forget about trying to bring your pram into Nunally.
  9. Wayne Kohan fish-ician

TriCities, WA
    I beg to differ on this point. I have taken a boat down there many times, the gravel road switchbacks down to the trees, you do not have to take the short cut down the sandy trails and there is no scruffy brush to go through. It is really quite easy with a boat dolly. I agree with Nunally, it is a bear to get to with a boat.

Wayne
  10. yellowlab Active Member

In a van... down by the river, WA
    Ratings: +89 / 8
    I was referring to my Jon boat when I had it at the time. I dont think I'd take a 10' Smith in to Lenice. I am not sure how tall your dolly is but if it's too high you'll have to unload it off when going under the gate. Yes, you can take the switchbacks to the east launch by the Russian olive as mentioned before. There are other lakes that have a boat launch that you can back right into. I wouldn't rule those out as they can fish just as well or better than Lenice
    Or Nunnally, you may not be amongst fly fishing and or selective fishing regs but it's a heck of a lot easier. PM me If you want some suggestions.
  11. Scott Salzer previously micro brew

Wayne:

In my little pontoon. I kind of hid out behind the islands.
  12. Evan Virnoche Guest

Ratings: +0 / 0
    nunally is definetly a bigger pain in the ass
  13. Wayne Kohan fish-ician

TriCities, WA
    Were you one of them that were whooping it up back there? Sounded like they were having some fun. I was parked in front of the islands.

Wayne
  14. Irafly Active Member

Everett, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +1,033 / 1

So true, but they don't hold up nearly as well as Lenice and Nunnally, they might make it a couple of weeks after the opener, but then after that they tend to get fished out.
  15. skyrise Active Member

everett, wa.
    Ratings: +51 / 0
    years ago my brother and i did take my 12 footer into Nunnally. we drove to the gate. then floated the boat on the creek into the lake. don't remember the details of how. it was a pain getting in. creepy leaving that night. some drunk locals fishing bait and such.
    does anyone remember when some guys would leave their boats at the lakes. chained up to the bushes and such ?? that was a long time ago.
    can feel my back just thinking about getting a boat into those lakes.
  16. Scott Salzer previously micro brew

Wasn't me whooping it up, I don't whoop. Couple of newbies getting their first fish on flies. They actually pretty darn well in that shallow water. I was a bit west of them.
    rankin76 likes this.