Nunnally report; choker brown!

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Ron Olsen, Sep 29, 2013.

1. Ron Olsen Member

Kirkland, WA.
    Ratings: +22 / 0
    Made the trip to Nunnally Friday. Heavy rain upon arrival, but cleared out in an hour and turned out to be a nice day. Lots of 12 to 15" fish, a few larger. Very strong trout. Water clear, 61.4 degrees. Light winds. Callibaetis hatch on the east end and in Bobby, but only smaller fish. Chiro hatch, size 32 or so...... The lake is now surrounded by reeds, Russian Olive and willow. Very hard to launch a pontoon from the usual western spot; can be done, just veer left at water edge. Best with two folks, but alas this was a solo trip. One other guy there, who launched from the west end. Drove right to the lake. No gate, and the signs were "painted over so I couldn't read them." Go figure.
    OK, so the bigger fish were deep. Had best success casting a type 4 full sink from 15' into 20+ and stripping about as fast as you can pull. Lots of work but that is what it took. Thin mint and a sunfish imitation self tied. One really nice fish. Old Buster Brown (Tiger?) measured at 26". My biggest from this lake ever, and started fishing here in the 60's. Wanna guess the weight?

Ron

Attached Files:

2. skyrise Active Member

everett, wa.
    Ratings: +51 / 0
    Ron, nice fish.
    since you have been fishing this lake for so long, what do you think of the changes to these lakes over the years ? i have only been fishing them since the early 80's.
  3. Blake Harmon Active Member

Spokane, Washington
    Ratings: +138 / 0
    Cant tell ya a weight but ill tell ya thats a tiger trout. And a hell of a fish!
    mtskibum16, Stonefish and Mike Ediger like this.
  4. Mike Ediger Active Member

Spokane, WA
    Ratings: +152 / 8
    Yep that fish is legit. While it is more brown in color I am used to seeing, I agree with Blake, sure looks like a tiger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
  5. triploidjunkie Active Member

Grand Coulee, WA
    Ratings: +1,264 / 0
    Six pounds? It looks like a brown to me, but it doesn't come in super clear on this Kindle.
  6. Steve Kokita FISHON206

Burien, Washington
    Ratings: +135 / 0
    Choker tiger! Nice fish!
  7. Drifter Active Member

Ratings: +637 / 2
    Nice fish! Looks like you need a bigger net though!!!
  8. Jeff Dodd Active Member

Langley, WA
    Ratings: +356 / 0
    Wow, nice fish!
  9. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Ratings: +1,622 / 2
    +1
  10. troutpocket Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +326 / 0
    The biggest tigers I've caught out of Lenice and Nunnally have topped out at 18-19". That's a brute!
  11. mtskibum16 Active Member

Puget Sound Beaches
    Ratings: +211 / 0
    Wow, very cool fish!
  12. ryfly Addicted to flyfishing

Snoqualmie, WA
    Ratings: +45 / 0
    That is a monster tiger. Note the vermiculation pattern on the body. If it was a brown it would be spotted only. Just remember that a tiger is the result of a cross between a brown and a brookie so it will resemble both fish.
  13. Starman77 Active Member

Kent, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +69 / 0
    Fantastic Tiger! What a thrill that must have been! Thanks for sharing the report and photo!

I'd also guess it was around 6 pounds; did you weigh it?

Rex
  14. Ron Olsen Member

Kirkland, WA.
    Ratings: +22 / 0
    I did not weigh the fish, but it sure felt north of six pounds. So wide, and a very broad head. The net is actually fairly large, but the fish larger..!..
    Have seen a lot of change at Nunnally through the years. Used to camp on the shore, three fish over 12" limit, season matched lowland lakes. Almost no weeds. Could walk the edge and fish almost anywhere, wade out a bit in places; rocky bottom. All that has changed. Heavy growth in the lake and along the edges, and the fish don't seem as strong.

Used to get into the backing regularly but can now play off the reel. Not this bad boy BTW. Fought like a chinook, long deep runs with stready pull into the backing, then came to surface way out and did a few half ass jumps. Great fun.

Ron
    triploidjunkie likes this.
  15. Kevin J. Burnham Active Member

Auburn,Wa.
    Ratings: +140 / 0
  16. Rod Wittner Active Member

West Richland, WA
    Ratings: +57 / 1
    Holee shit. Nice Tiger!
  17. triploidjunkie Active Member

Grand Coulee, WA
    Ratings: +1,264 / 0
    Could well be north of six pounds. Browns and tigers seem to be thicker and heavier than other species the same length. I've had a brown that was twenty six inches weigh seven pounds(male), but had one that was twenty four inches weigh over eight(also male).
  18. Islander Steve

Langley, Wa..
    Ratings: +182 / 6
    Sweet Tiger. Great report.