Nymphing for Steelhead on the OP

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Flyfishsteel, Mar 5, 2006.

1. Flyfishsteel New Member

GH,WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I'm sure this question has been asked already, and I would do a search but my search link does not work for some reason. Was wondering what would be the most productive technique on say the Hoh and Queets, standard nymphs or glow bugs,etc. from a boat and bank ?
    I just bought a couple Frog Hair XL indicators and they are the best, but what is the best way to rig them?

Thanks again for ya'll time...
  2. Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

Olympic Peninsula
    Ratings: +654 / 0
    Try tying them to a gill net! :rofl:
  3. toadthedry Member

bainbridge island, wa, usa.
    Bobs just joking....right!?

Be carefull or you will ignite that sleeping monster- swingers who look down upon people who nymph.

While I won't admit to nymphing myself... I've got this friend who uses both glow bugs and other nymphs/buggers and has caught them on both.

Person formerly known as mike.
  4. speyforsteel Degenerate Caster

Eastern Washington
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    Giil net !
    That is the best reply this site has ever seen iagree
    New title" whoreing for steelhead on the O.P."
    Bob I don't drink ,but If we ever meet make sure I buy you a drink.
  5. Ringlee Doesn't care how you fish Moderator

Somewhere you don't know about, WA
    Ratings: +53 / 1
    Stoneflys, Glo Bugs, Egg flies, Beads, Worms. Don't really use standard nymphs as much as I do the worm fly. Its deadly and easy to tie. Little bit more material than the Egg fly. You can Nympg from shore or on a boat. Good way to work water in between swinging spots.
    Chris
  6. musashi Member

Seattle, WA, USA.
    Bob Triggs,

Your gil net reference for a strike indicator question is up there in terms of blatant arrogance! I know you think its funny but it shouldn't matter that a guy is nymphing for steelhead. Despite your sarcasm, how's nymphing for fish related to commercial fishing?

TT
  7. Backyard SANCHO!

The River, WA.
    Ratings: +5 / 0
    Gill nets ARE the "productive technique" :rofl: But I think you have to grow a mullet before they will sell you one.
  8. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Ratings: +540 / 0
    That reminds me :ray1: I used to see some Hawaiian guys seining for mullet off the beach near where I lived on Oahu in the late 60's.:)

Jimbo:cool:
  9. chadk Be the guide...

Snohomish, WA.
    Ratings: +41 / 0
    Well, the truely elite will swing their gill nets. Since this method catches fewer fish, it is considered to be more sporting and ethical. ;)

To best answer the original question in a helpful manner that he'd actually appreciate.... Just look up the reports and posts by IBN over the last few months. In a few of his posts, he gives some good detail in what works and how to rig it.
  10. Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

Olympic Peninsula
    Ratings: +654 / 0
    Who said anything about "Commercial Fishing" ? :confused:
  11. Zen Piscator Supporting wild steelhead, gravel to gravel.

Missoula, MT
    Ratings: +13 / 0
    A gillnet is only lawful as employment of an angle if woven from thy finest of hemp and swung at a 45 degree arc while employing the most virtous greeheart rod of at least 8 meters in lengh.
  12. otter Banned or Parked

Port Angeles, Washington
    Oh Jeez.............gonna be in trouble on this one

Your choices are fish weirs and fish wheels, gillnets, the trusty Dupont Spinner, snagging; all are well and truly proven. If you want food for you and your family there you go. Fact is that none of us are in fact operational hunter/gatherers - that went away a long time ago. So what is left? Aesthetics? The experience? Ego? Gearhead? Social climbing? Male/female bonding? Yow! Staggers the imagination. Your choice.
    I fish because I like to be out on the rivers and in the hills, and the Mergansers, the Dippers, Ravens, Eagles come by. Spotted Sandpipers will be here in a month or so. At this time of year the Alders are showing their white bark and purple haze of fresh growth against the background of spruce and fir and cedar. Skunk cabbage are throwing their yellow against the ground. Riverbank tracks of coon, otter, occasional bear, crow and raven, fox and coyote. Varied Thrushes and hysterical Robins spook on the way in. Winter wrens mouth off out of the brush. I look up and see the snowpack on the ridges. Its colder than a welldigger's ass being thigh deep in ther river. I dont give a s--t about killing fish because I'm there for twentyseven other reasons.

So, in answer to your question, it is axiomatic that the lure catches the fisherman well before it catches the fish.

Hoka Hey
  13. ibn Moderator

Federal Way
    Ratings: +10 / 0
    Ignore the haters, nymph if you want to, if it's legal, fish how you want. I use glowbugs and other egg patterns and do pretty well.
  14. Ed D Member

Fed Way, WA
    If your are using the re usable ones w/ the rubber stoppers you typically will slide a stopper on, slide the indicator in, then another stopper to hold the indibobber in place.
    One thing I found is that when I have to slide the stoppers up high on the leader for deep water, they get loose and faile to hold the bobber in place when I switch to shallow water. Try putting a third stopper on your leader a few feet above the tippet for low water, make sense?
    Also, make sure you do all this before you tie your tippet on.