Nymphing for Steelhead...why are folks against it?

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by jroni, Nov 12, 2009.

  1. koolminx

    koolminx Member

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2009
    Messages:
    305
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Gorst, Washington
    I agree with you 150% I use a 10'2" rod I bought in the Northern England countryside 10 years ago that is likely 90 years old if it's a day... It's friggin HUGE and heavy but FUN!

    Unfortunately, the oldest reel I have is a 1925 Martin or some such that I pay no attention to as it's tiny compared to my $9 dollar walmart reel....
     
  2. Jim Ficklin

    Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

    Joined:
    Jun 28, 2008
    Messages:
    2,772
    Likes Received:
    953
    Location:
    Columbia Basin
    Wow! 14 pages and still going. Couldn't post yesterday . . . was busy forging a new popcorn pan & churning butter (had one helluva time milking that cow elk, however). But I did it to please me & no one else . . . kinda like fly fishing, huh?
     
  3. XstreamAngler

    XstreamAngler ...has several mistresses.

    Joined:
    Oct 9, 2001
    Messages:
    667
    Media:
    194
    Likes Received:
    2
    Location:
    Seattle, wa, King.
    Home Page:
    Is dragging beads in front of steelhead from my boat considered nymphing? Beads are not nymphs.....really.

    SAK
     
  4. Olive bugger

    Olive bugger Active Member

    Joined:
    Oct 25, 2009
    Messages:
    2,635
    Likes Received:
    468
    Location:
    Woodinville, WA
    And I thought I went fishing to have fun and cast a fly rod.
    Huh!
     
  5. TB

    TB Member

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2009
    Messages:
    207
    Likes Received:
    19
    Location:
    Ma's cow, Idaho area
    Wow...I'm doing better'n I thought apparently. I use Grandpa's old outfit that's probly older than I am.


    Cool...:)
     
  6. Salmo_g

    Salmo_g Active Member

    Joined:
    Nov 18, 2004
    Messages:
    7,904
    Media:
    6
    Likes Received:
    1,999
    Location:
    Your City ,State
    When I nymph, I use patterns tied only with natural materials: silk, wool, feathers, fur; no synthetics. Might as well be a high falutin' nympher.

    Just keepin' the thread alive.

    Sg
     
  7. Nate Dutton

    Nate Dutton I'm a teacher, I fish to eat!

    Joined:
    Jan 19, 2007
    Messages:
    790
    Media:
    11
    Likes Received:
    2
    Location:
    Kiana, AK
    Salmo, i could not agree more... I do nymph, I admit it. That being said I only use the same materials that are used in swinging flies. Hell i do nymph swinging flies... i call it my little swing. No Synthetic Materials, only Alpaca hair that i trimmed from the Dali Lama's Alpacas.
     
  8. Ed Call

    Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

    Joined:
    Jun 9, 2008
    Messages:
    17,862
    Media:
    283
    Likes Received:
    1,671
    Location:
    Kitsap Peninsula
    Excellent point, I'm sure that this is not nymphing, but rather it is beading. There is a whole section dedicated to beading at places like Michael's Arts and Crafts and JoAnn's Fabrics. You might be brining the art of beading to a higher level.

    Sorry SAK, this one just made me chuckle. :beer2: Pushing for page fifteen?
     
  9. Old Man

    Old Man Just an Old Man

    Joined:
    Jan 1, 2002
    Messages:
    22,545
    Media:
    29
    Likes Received:
    2,013
    Location:
    In a comfortable chair
    Hell, I'm probably older than you are.
     
  10. Bob Jones

    Bob Jones Still truckless now farther away

    Joined:
    Feb 23, 2009
    Messages:
    1,764
    Media:
    168
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Last seen in Portland Or. via Tacoma,Puyallup, Wa.
    For those of you who are beading and not nymphing the place to get your beads is of course the worlds largest bead store. Shipwreck Beads is in Lacey, Wa. the opposite direction from cabelas new store. Be sure you have time to look if you go there. My bead flies work for the SRCs and Rezzies in the sound. Just don't hit the rocks too often with your back cast. My wifes a crafter and sewing nut, she finds me all kinds of good deals. Bob :thumb:
     
  11. jpugs

    jpugs New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 9, 2008
    Messages:
    59
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Seattle, WA
    If that is "beading," then is it ever "fly" fishing unless you are using an lure imitating an insect from the order Diptera (which would exclude non-"true" flies such as mayflies and stoneflies)? Is it still nymphing if your "nymph" is really imitating a pupa or is that pupaing? I for one don't wan't to tell people that I pup for fish.
     
  12. HauntedByWaters

    HauntedByWaters Active Member

    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2006
    Messages:
    2,791
    Likes Received:
    144
    Location:
    Bellingham
    LOL!
     
  13. Kerfwappie

    Kerfwappie Member

    Joined:
    Sep 13, 2008
    Messages:
    331
    Media:
    31
    Likes Received:
    4
    Location:
    Poulsbo, WA
    Real men hunt deer and elk with clubs and pheasants and ducks with rocks.
     
  14. oldskool

    oldskool Guest

    Now that's a purist! :thumb:
     
  15. Shapp

    Shapp Active Member

    Joined:
    Jan 8, 2009
    Messages:
    231
    Likes Received:
    43
    Location:
    Back to the state of my birth (OR)
    This thread exemplifys why this site is so f-ed up. Fishing is fishing, its what you do after you catch a steelhead that should be the real debate.
     
  16. TB

    TB Member

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2009
    Messages:
    207
    Likes Received:
    19
    Location:
    Ma's cow, Idaho area
    You got about a 40% chance of being right, which means to me, 60% of the fishermen on the water are watching where you fish, and how, and so should I. :)
     
  17. oldskool

    oldskool Guest

    Well, start a new thread about what that debate should be. I'm curious to know.

    It could not possibly turn out any worse than this one. :)
     
  18. slim

    slim Fish or Ski...Fish or ski....fish!

    Joined:
    Aug 3, 2005
    Messages:
    208
    Likes Received:
    10
    Location:
    Spokane Washington
    Wow gone for 2 days from this thread and it's STILLLL going. Doesn't anybody on this site fish?
     
  19. oldskool

    oldskool Guest

    Seriously, what should be the debate?

    Fish with adipose fin = back you go l'il buddy
    Fish w/o adipose fin = BBQ, struggling family, foodbank, or let it go if the law allows (not necessarily in that order)

    I'm not tring to be a smart***, just don't understand what could possibly be a debate here.
     
  20. PT

    PT Physhicist

    Joined:
    Jan 11, 2003
    Messages:
    3,644
    Likes Received:
    781
    Location:
    Edmonds, WA
    I will only respond directly to the thread title. Nymphing for Steelhead...why are folks against it

    It's just too easy to fish with a bobbercator. That's a fact! Why are people against it? Because they view life thru a window the size of a bottle cap. My numbers would increase 5 to 1 if I only fished a glo bug and indicator but that's not my style. I try to swing every inch of swingable water I can....... But sometimes the water dictates a different approach. Then I'll bobbercate. I don't pass up good water just because it's not swingable. If you're looking to catch steelhead then you need to adapt to the piece of river in front of you. It's about getting down, slowing it down, and keeping it down.

    Seems like a pretty petty arguement because we're all just a bunch of fisherpeople.
     

Share This Page