Nymphing for Steelhead...why are folks against it?

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by jroni, Nov 12, 2009.

1. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Sg has a home page? What is it? Where is it? Never heard of it. Shows what I know. Even if LisaMfly didn't have a picture, it wouldn't be speculation to bet she's better looking than me.

Sg

2. 1morecast

1morecast Active Member

Nymphing for Steelhead.............Why are people against it???

Why?? Because I do not enjoy nymphing for anything! No other reason, my choice, does not make me any better, or worse then you.:beer2:

3. BDD

BDD Active Member

:rofl: That is the kind of stuff I'm talking about.

OK, maybe homepage is the wrong term but I can't think of a better one. From the drop-down menu when hovering the mouse over a person's name, select "view public profile" to go to their "home page".

4. Flyborg

Flyborg Active Member

I'm against nymphing because I'm lazy. Swinging is far less work.

Also, I'm against it because I don't like catching fish.

5. Michael Thompson

Michael Thompson the flavor of BADFISH

people get pissed about nymphing for the same reason people get upset at the thought of OBAMA-CARE.

6. Luke77

Luke77 I hope she likes whitefish

:rofl::rofl:

That's the BEST explanation I've read yet!

7. Charles Sullivan

Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

Ding Ding Ding!!! Winner winner chicken dinner!!! There it is. Short and sweet.

8. Itchy Dog

Itchy Dog Some call me Kirk Werner

I've never really enjoyed nymphing in general, and I'd never nymphed for steelhead until a trip this past fall. The intent was to employ the Spey rod and the swung fly. When that failed to produce, my buddy who happens to also be a forum member and who shall remain nameless for matters of public shame, produced his meat pole (don't go there, you dirty-minded bastards). He proceeded to begin hooking up with fish. After some doing he finally talked me intro trying it. I also began hooking up with fish. We continued to work every run hard with our swung flies first, but our hookups all resulted by way of the nymph stick. Yes, I would have preferred to catch the fish on the swing, because as we all know that there's more to fishing than catching fish. But sometimes a person just wants to catch a fish. It felt a little dirty, but I got over it. And I recently acquired a rod specifically for nymphing steel. I hope I don't have to use it very often, but when in Rome, do as the Romans do. Or something like that.

9. Paul Huffman

Paul Huffman Lagging economic indicator

I'm working on bringing SGs profile visit count up. 188 now!

10. longstick

longstick Member

Fuck respect, the way it should be. That is a line of shit. Everyone fish your style and lets get off of this thread, this one is played out.

11. Tyler Sadowski

Tyler Sadowski Active Member

Amen. I nymph for steel and swing for steel, its about what I like not what anyone else likes. I fish for me and no one else.

12. alpinetrout

alpinetrout Banned or Parked

This topic just comes up because the swung fly-only for steelhead crowd gets desperate for attention on a regular basis, just like the Harley riders.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rRnVKPijx70&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rRnVKPijx70&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

13. speyfisher

speyfisher Active Member

Well, this is my take on it. I didn't read all 6 pages, 88 posts, so I hope I'm not repeating anything.

The long and storied history of fly fishing for steelhead has led to the development of many techniques and advancments in equipment over the years. It didn't happen overnight. Imagine having to paint a fly line with leaded boat paint to get it to sink. Or picking pieces of lead core out of trolling line to make a shooting head that you could cast on an 8 or 9 wt fiberglass flyrod. Which was probably the heaviest available rod at the time. Patching together a sink tip line. A lot of stuff probably didn't work. At least not at first. Talk about having to pay your dues.

We have it easy today. Just go out and buy the stuff. Still, to be successful swinging flies, requires learning to set up a sink tip system, (on a spey rod maybe) how to cast it, how to mend line to get down, how far down is far enough, in what water, what fly, what speed? Only a limited amount of this can be gleaned by anything less than time on the water. A lot of time on the water.

So what's the average Joe, working 40 hrs (or more) a week, family man, honey-do's, limited time on the water to do?:beathead: Nymph rig. Depth is controlled simply by sliding the bobber up or down. One or two heavy fly patterns, (it doesn't really matter, it's the weight) and a half dozen bead head prince nymph and copper john patterns. Throw in some power bait emergers for good measure. The learning curve has now been shortened dramatically!

14. Ringlee

Ringlee Doesn't care how you fish Moderator Staff Member

YES!!!!!!!:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

15. g_smolt

g_smolt Recreational User

Most of the dudes I see swingin' flies could sure use a few years of gear fishing under their belt...then maybe they wouldn't fish such marginal water.

16. Be Jofus G

Be Jofus G Banned or Parked

:rofl: :rofl::rofl: :rofl:

17. Luke77

Luke77 I hope she likes whitefish

I'm sorry, but I respectfully disagree. I believe you have it the other way around.

18. HauntedByWaters

HauntedByWaters Active Member

You guys are once again arguing with nobody here when you make fun of swingers. I haven't seen an elitist remark or any snooty shit in this thread.

My response a few pages back was like most. I explained my thoughts on the subject and my reasoning as to why I swing flies. Depending on where you live and fish your reasoning will be different. That is why this isn't really an argument but it seems some of you would like to bring it to that.

I personally like fishing forums because it introduces me to different ideas and opinions. Two excellent fishermen who totally disagree is about as interesting as it can get IMO.

On another note: for every dumbass swinger I see a dumbass nympher who tangles up his shit every other cast and curses aloud so everyone can be annoyed at his ineptitude. As little as I nymph I know not to put split shot 12 feet down a leader, keep my loops extra wide, and mend like hell. That is because like a good nympher or a good swinger, good fishermen understand the fundamentals to make any technique work.

I also think it is apt for me to mention that I was swinging flies yesterday and barfed in my mouth watching 3 guys fully decked out trying to cast their top line spey outfits after they had obviously never practiced. They had no clue what they were doing. It is always hard to see that shit.

Swinger or nympher, there are still tons of clueless "dumb dicks" out there among us so lets not over generalize.

On top of all of that, I believe this thread was started by a nympher so it has nothing to with swingers wanting attention.

It seems more like you guys enjoy ganging up on swingers so you can feel better about yourselves. :D;)

19. alpinetrout

alpinetrout Banned or Parked

I was referring to the consistent stream of threads that led the poster to get the impression that people have a problem with nymphing for steelhead (yet for nothing else, oddly), not this thread itself.

20. long_rod_silvers

long_rod_silvers New Member

I thought the whole point is to have fun. If you can catch steelhead and have fun nymphing, more power to ya. If you don't have fun nymphing, for what ever the reason, keep on swingin' buddy. Either way, the bottom line is to enjoy the process.