Nymphing for Steelhead...why are folks against it?

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by jroni, Nov 12, 2009.

1. I've been fly fishing for close to 15yrs. I've made my own traditions that give me my quality vs quantity satisfaction.

I love swinging, but it isn't the most effective method everywhere i fish. Plus, I have extreme ADD, and can't fish all day with the step/swing method. I need something to switch things up once in a while to keep my head in the game.

2. Sorry I skimmed this the first time. I apologize for if I sounded defensive. Thank you for the compliment, and I that is an interesting observation that you made.

Bottom line is I love to fish. I love that there are debates like this going on on this forum, because despite what others may say, isn't this why we have a forum? Sharing ideas, arguments, points, tips, etc? Ultimately, we all love to fly-fish. That's why we are on this site. (If you don't, then you should probably get off this site and waste your time elsewhere)

Ultimately we all have a deep down respect for one another because we all love the same thing. I just think as long as we all respect the river and the fish (and don't low hole eachother), we can all be happy campers. :)

3. To tell the truth, I have been trying to find a nymph for years but all I seem to find are ho's.

4. nymph the hoh.. it's a win-win!

sorry, had to take a chance to make another bad joke

5. Wow. You are just extremely rude and out of line. I don't know what I did to deserve this comment from you. I don't appreciate your sarcasm or your put-downs. I'm not trying to be better than any one else on here or be some sort of professional with wisdom, because I know I'm not. I'm just stating my opinion like every one else.

You clearly just wanted a bone to pick with someone, so all I have to say is shut up and go fishing! :mad:

6. There is no need for this kind of behavior..

7. I would much rather cast my two handed rod and swing a run because it is such a joy to cast. I swing all kinds of heads, tips and flys, including poppers and 6" black and blue string leeches and an occasional trailer that looks a lot like an egg. Oops and Dick Nite swings quite well also. This time of year if I have a good hole to nymph I will be nymphing and if on foot moving to the next hole to nymph. I enjoy nymphing as it is a challenge to me to get the perfect drift. With swinging the challenge is in the purity of the cast to the specific target and keep the proper speed throughout the drift.
    Craig

8. I was merely commenting on your arrogant post ............the one i quoted above.

"seems you should just go back to gear fishing"

This kind of comment is exactly the hipocritical holier than though crap that i will not take. I have no bone to pick with you in particular, It seems that you have just fell into the category of people that tend to rub me the wrong way.

You were just touting how we all should love the sport and not low hole each other.....

Its these kind of comments "seems you should just go back to gear fishing" that seperate the fly fishing community.

If that is your attitude, then keep it to yourself.

Nymphing is far more than "gear fishing".............

As far as going fishing,............I do, all the time. This may be why I have been a member of this site for a while and have only 5 posts. Seems like reel fly fisherman don't have to tout themselves on internet forums, too busy catching fish. I knew however that one of these days I would get sucked into a debate, so here I am.

9. Rainbownater.."Man I'm glad i'm moving back to Eastern Oregon". UR totally classless calling out Lisa in this post. Get a grip..have a beer..and think about what you said. IMHO, an apology is in order.

My opine is I didn't get into fly fishing to chuck gear that I did as a gear chucker for steelhead, and got my share. If I don't get something on the surface or in the film..I don't care. I'll do what makes me happy..enjoy the hours I do it..and come home. To each their own..not wrong, and not right..it just is.

10. Might want to have a beer and relax. :beer2:

11. The points I made were just like every one else. The points you made were directly aimed at me. I am no longer going to post anything on here because of you. Congratulations. You did your once a year post justice. I hope to not see negative grouchy people like you on the river.

12. Nymphing for Steelhead

Too lazy to write something again. You by far didn't need to nymph this year to catch fish.

[​IMG]

Prom Queen

[​IMG]

Girls Next Door

13. I'm getting my hip-boots, bamboo rods, silk lines, Pflueger Medalists, and gut leaders out of storage. And I'm using no other fly than a Major Pitcher tied on a Herter's hook henceforth.

14. Lisa, take everything everyone says here with a grain of salt. This is a boys dominated recreation and boys will be boys. Like Inland said, your opinions are refreshing, especially from someone who is just getting into it.

15. When I was a kid in Sandpoint, Idaho we used to fish dark dry flys on a dry line with fiberglass rods in a place called Sand creek that was mostly less than 2 yards wide and lined with tall grass. The Brookies were beer-barrel fat and there were a few local cutts. You couldn't really cast and soon the fly became a wet fly. This dunking technique worked great too! I still use it in some pocket water. Then when you got to the mill pond or a beaver pond on Schweitzer creek you had to back cast like mad to dry out your fly.

No one ever told me I couldn't have fun doing that. I don't think I knew then what a steelhead was or what waders should be made out of. Denim jeans worked pretty good until I "grew up". I can still see the fish lying in a bed of grass in the bottom of the woven creel. Some times we just used a willow or alder branch for a stinger because we even ate some of those trout and char!

I moved away and later someone dumped a load of diesel crashing at the creekside and killed the fishery for a while. Oh well, they weren't all natives of the stream, right?

Since then I have been experimenting with all kinds of "fly fishing" and ended up with a bunch of stuff including a pontoon boat. I probably don't need any of it to live but it sure makes life more interesting at times.

I think I might go fishing in the snow tomorrow and ride my bike to the ski hill on Sunday but that's just me.

Does this constitute jacking the thread or does it still count?

Addendum: You can fish nymphs as long as it is legal, some people might even do it if it isn't. It's very effective. Name calling isn't as effective as a persuasion to get people to see another point of view but people still use it all the time. I guess I am somehow entertained being relatively new to the forum. Thanks!

16. What do you all call chronomid fishing. Nymphing I hope. And with an indicator no less. And some people even look down on those people. So what else is bad about nymphing.

Jim

17. Rainbownater, you have been aggressive and arrogant and there is no reason for that type of conduct. You take issue with one member's opinion and lash out. Pretty weak sauce.

If you got that fetish boot off your head you'd be able to see your nymph rig...with boot in place on your face you must rely on your jedi sense of feeling the tug.

Amen flatwaterguides, I like your style and agree this thread is played out. When I was here last it was at five pages. One nice day fishing and I come back to see it into its eleventh page. Yawn.

Humor is much needed here in this post, thank you master obiwan. By the way, tested out a new to me rod today...sweet.

Speaking of the Hoh, this topic should die and we should start talking about the Hoh. Last year at the Hoh down there were nymphers and swingers sharing the same water, even from the same drift boats. We can all get along (well, the civil ones can get along).

Good point as always Jim, be it high stick or with an indicator chironomid fishing is nymphing. Aren't chironomids a major part of a trout's diet? If they eat them, why not imitate them? Simple.

Fish how you want but fish. I did today and had a blast. This thread is not such a blast. I pray that it inherits a padlock soon, very soon.

18. As always..well said Ed

19. No, you're not dense. Not sure I presented this clearly. I don't for a second discount the fact that there is a definite technique to swinging and some people definitely develop a zen to it. I wholeheartedly agree that time spent swinging will allow you to learn subtle things that will make you more successful. My point is that I can take somebody with very basic flyfishing knowledge, get them in the river, give them a little lesson, and within a short period of time they can develop a BASIC proficiency of the technique. If I give him a nymphing rig, I will sit by him and nag him for about 2 hours and he still won't quite get it right unless it is very simple water.

You are also correct about fishing nymphs from a boat. A good rower can take a lot of the need for technique out of nymphing. One of my firm beliefs in fishing the Yakima River is that catching fish has as much to do with the rower as it does with the guy holding the fly rod. A good rower can allow even the most inexperienced flyfisher to get a couple of fish, whereas a bad rower can make it challenging for the most accomplished jedi caster. My argument does break down a bit if you are simply nymphing on the go, this seriously reduces your need to be able to read water, although a good flyfisher will look ahead and make sure he is keeping his nymph(s) in the best water.

As for reading water. ANY person who fishes for steelhead is going to need a basic understanding of reading water. You need to be able to walk/row/swim down a river and identify the water where you are going to be most likely to find fish. My argument is that with methodical nymphing you break down the water into much smalelr segments and need to find the specific holding spot of a fish as well as the currents that are going to affect your ability to properly present a fly to that specific spot.

20. You called it;)