nymphing for steelhead

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by luckybalbowa, Dec 10, 2005.

1. luckybalbowa

luckybalbowa Member

Do any of you nymph for steelhead in the winter? Besides the Rainbow Emerger (egg patterns) what nymphs do you use? What size?

2. Jason Decker

Jason Decker Active Member

stoneflys

3. Monk

Monk Redneck

nymphing is sooooo lowbrow. :rolleyes:

4. luckybalbowa

luckybalbowa Member

I suppose you only use barbless hand tied dry flies casted by a bamboo rod or spey flys tyed with only natural materials swung accross the current with a long wooden pole (original materials made for spey fishing) to catch steelhead? :D True nymphing can be as much of an art as swinging a streamer/spey.. but that is a side point and don't want this post to be a tool for people to to debate or wax nostalgic about the mastery of the spey or dry fly...

Not to be confrontational or anything, but I only want positive responses that are helpful to this post...

Stoneflies were a response... what size/color? golden stone or giant stone?

5. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

Don't take everything to seriousy on this board. Monk is just goofin':;) My go to nymph setup is a maribou fly w/ cryslal flash tied on a jig hook- my dropper is a cabalero egg(sp) in peach= deadly. Stones are a great tool fly- preferably titanics or anything with rubber legs. The problem with hatchery fish, especially skamanias, is that natural patters won't move them... so you have to go to egg imatation. Disclaimer before I get flamed- I swing 95% of the time;)

6. Big Tuna

Big Tuna Member

Most basic trout nymphs will work. I've heard of guys catching them on hare's ears, pheasant tails, and prince nymphs. I did a little more nymphing this year than in year's past. After swinging through a run, I'd nymph it. Black RL stoneflies, prince nymphs, egg patterns worked at one time or another.

7. luckybalbowa

luckybalbowa Member

What size range of nymphs are you using? Do you oversize to get strikes in the winter?

I know that nymphing for steelhead is more for the summer run, but I already have plenty of speys and maribou tied... (I'm coming home from college after christmas for some winter steelies) I want to have some nymphs ready in case I see some water where nymphing would work better than swinging

8. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

Actually nymphing is more for winter fish that won't move as readily to a swung fly due to slowed metabolism- i.e. knock it on the nose with a dead drift

9. Eggs and bigger versions of buggier/flashier trout nymphs.

10. Monk

Monk Redneck

For a fly fishing board, I am sooooo good at trolling. ;) Nah really. I was just pokin' some fun at what some guys were discussing earlier. I nymph a ton. Especially in winter. I nymph everything. From insects to eggs to big-ass marabous to speys. Whatever works man. If I wanted to look classy, I wouldn't drink "animal beer." (that was for you OMJ).

11. luckybalbowa

luckybalbowa Member

Monk,you sound like a fun guy to fish with! :)

Which size ranges of nymphs of which nymphs???

12. Monk

Monk Redneck

In the summertime, I use like a PTN sized up a couple sizes and add a flaskback or some hot colors. maybe size 8 or something. I like to keep the outline the same as the naturals in the river, but make everything else exaggerated: like colors and size.

In the winter, I do a lot of tandem stuff. I will use an attractor fly- a large full bodied fly matching the contidions and have an egg dropper or something like that. I get most of my strikes on the dropper. I think that the large fly gets the attention and moves them and they hit the dropper. Since it is cold and their metabolisms are slow, it makes sense to use a fly that gets them moving and then give them an easy meal right in their face.

This works because on the bottom, there is a layer of slow current from the friction with the bottom. If you present it correctly, the dropper will come "behind" the lead fly.

It works for me and it makes sense for me. Others are probably gonna correct me, but :confused:

13. Monk

Monk Redneck

as far as a range in sizes, summertime: 16-2 ; wintertime: 6-2/0 with dropper 8-4. That is very general, but should give you an idea.

14. Monk

Monk Redneck

Oh, I think I kinda went off topic. I have one wintertime "nymph" nymph. It is a large PTN that is all black with either a flashback or a red or green abdomen; usually in size 8-6. Works really well in low clear water. Also swings well in shallow riffles.

15. luckybalbowa

luckybalbowa Member

wow... that was bigger than I was thinking..

Thanks Monk

16. Monk

Monk Redneck

Yeah, I have had limited sucess with little fles for winter steelhead. I do fish big waters though. In the summer, i have taken steelies on BWO's and coachmans as small as 16. In the winter, I am just too lazy to really work big water with a small fly. Whatchyagonnadoo?:confused: Plus, any smaller and you will be fighting off the whiteys.

17. Steelie Mike

Steelie Mike Active Member

Mark, just make sure you nymphs are strong enough to handle a large fish. I losssed a toad on the Rogue a couple of years back because my hook straighted at the end of the battle. There is nothing like having the fish at your feet and then have it fling back at you all straightend out..
    I personally like to swing my version of a caballero. That give me the option to nymph with it also if I am in the right spot. You just got to get it in there face.
    Skwala, natural flies do work summer Skamania fish. Burlaps, Spades and Greenbutts are great patterns in the summer when the water is down. I do doubt they would work very well in the winter though. Again caballeros are great flies for skamania fish though.

18. Davy

Davy Active Member

not sure how accurate that is:p , but he does indeed drink the Schmitties!!!!!! no wonder he falls down alot in the river:rofl: :rofl:

19. Zen Piscator

Zen Piscator Supporting wild steelhead, gravel to gravel.

I like smaller flies when targeting summer fish, a sz 12 copper john and 10 prince accounted for most of my steelhead this fall.

Peace,
    Andy

20. Hoglipstick

Hoglipstick tailing looped

I was searchin' around in my vest one day on the Duc and found a "Flaskback". I didn't throw it at the fish though, cause it was filled with Jim Beam. I ended up fishing with rubber legs.:beer1: