nymphing for steelhead

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by luckybalbowa, Dec 10, 2005.

1. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

Media:
    Steelie Miike you may be right. My experience of fishing for them on the N. Santiam, when I lived on the river and fished 250+ days a year was that those fish only move to natural patterns and swung flies when they're fresh in the river or on their first recycle. My 2 cents.

2. Davy

Davy Active Member

Media:
    :thumb: I'm in Zens camp, have fished down to #16 black micro mays, Pt's, Prince's in the summer / early fall with good success. Later fall I like the rubber legs or even the double rubber with an egg for nymphing but start swingin Spades and small speys&feather bodied patterns perhaps more in the mid fall and moving into marabous, big speys/shrimp patterns as winter gets here. As well depends on the river system and geographic region as well. Are there large runs of salmon present, prevalent food sources, bugs they are used to seeing in the river etc?

3. Jake Smulkowski

Jake Smulkowski Throwing hoppers into baetis falls

Media:
    Home Page:
    Big nasty stoneflies or Prince nymphs and egg droppers. But I've never caught anything but northern squawminnow and suckers when targeting steelhead that way.

4. Porter

Porter Active Member

It seems no matter what I use lately (last year plus) I catch no Steelhead...maybe a YT or a small 6" trout .....I have this pisces thing going on...OM can confirm.

5. Randy Knapp

Randy Knapp Active Member

I have caught several including a 35 1/2" fish on my mohair beadhead in sizes 10 and 8. I think a size 10 or 8 hares ear or Prince would also be effective. Of course, egg patterns will work also. The key, as always, is getting the fly in front of the fish. In any case, be sure and use strong hooks as I lost some big boys using lighter wire.

Randy