Nymphing with spey

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Patagonguy, Apr 21, 2010.

1. Patagonguy

Patagonguy Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    I would like to try with nymhps on Spey.
    Any recc. here? Leaders, cast, etc.etc.
    Thanks in advance.
    P

2. doublespey

doublespey Steelhead-a-holic

I humbly suggest a search in the archives. There's already been a lot of discussion on this topic.

If I could find Mumble's "Beating a Dead Horse" pic I'd post it here. :)

3. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Here you go, hope this is inserted properly for the thread.

4. Dustin Bise

Dustin Bise Active Member

Media:
    ./[imglink to the jpeg.[/img]

^^without the dots. best way to add an image to the thread.

[​IMG]

5. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Funny story bro. Really though? Three dudes and a bat over a dead horse versus (click on the one I posted) and animated expression...my dead horse beats your dead horse hands down! Best way my @$$! Peace.

6. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Good thing you are in Argentina. I think it is against the regs to nymph with a 2 handed rod in Washington.

7. Keaten LaBrel

Keaten LaBrel Formerly Tyinbugs

Media:
    nymphing with a spey = the best...delta spey or speydicator lines work well for nymphing...i find tho that the speydicator works awesome on an echo SR switch

8. Nate Dutton

Nate Dutton I'm a teacher, I fish to eat!

Media:
    Mumbles those are not just 3 guys with a bat, those are the guys from Office Space!! So i think the verdict is still out on whose dead horse beats whose. I would like to know a littler more about the question thought because i have no experience with this.

9. Steve Bird

Steve Bird Member

I am not alltogether comfortable with the terms 'switch' or 'spey', and would prefer to do as the Europeans and simply call a two-handed rod, a "two-handed rod". That said, I don't know what kind of nymphing, size of imitations or water size and depth you are fishing, so can't answer your question with much precision. I fish nymphs on my homewater, the upper Columbia, almost exclusively with two-handed rods. If presentation is a factor, I would suggest a rod possessing a grain window of no more than 450 grains at the top end. These lighter two-handers can be matched with a variety of AFTMA lines that might cover a wider variety of nymphing situations than spey-designated lines available. For example: during the June-July UC spotted sedge hatch, we are casting to roving gangs of surface feeding trout using #14 emerger patterns. You want to put the fly right on them with the softest presentation possible. The doublehand, overhead cast is the cast of choice. And the AFTMA lines, suitable to the rod's grain window, perform this cast well and provide the softer presentation. Hope this helps. But try a more specific question for a better answer.

10. TomB

TomB Active Member

Nymphing with a speyrod can be accomplished in many ways, but there are two primary and contrasting starting points.

1) get a bunch of thingamabobbers, lead weights, glowbugs, and maybe even shrimp oil, tie shitty leaders that don't turn stuff over well, and then huck and duck and try to convince people what you are doing is flyfishing (failing that, at least try to convince yourself).

2) buy spools of maxima chameleon (stiff and thick diameter) starting from either 30 or 40 lb, and get every consecutive size down to your preferred terminal tippet size...somehwere between 6 and 12lb usually. Then use bloodknots to attach sections of the line together, starting with a 4 foot piece of the heaviest section, a 2-3 foot piece of the next heaviest section, and 6-8 inch pieces of each consecutive smaller size until you get down to your last (tippet) section....make this one 2-3 feet long so you don't have to retie it every time you put a new fly on. If you follow this recipe and don't skimp by skipping certain line weights (use every consecutive tippet size available), you should end up with a very nice homemade leader in the 12.5-15 foot range. This leader will be ideal for fishing flies off of a dryline on a speyrod because it can turn over a cannonball. Tie on your preferred fly, and then present it sans indicator as described in Dryline Steelhead (Bill McMillan). (generally the presentations involve a section of the presentation that is dead drift accomplished through cast angle and mending, and a section of the presentation that is swinging as the dead drift come under tension). leave the bobbers, weight, egg beads and smelly jelly at home as they are uneccesary. Don't worry about convincing anyone you are flyfishing...it will be obvious.

11. Jim Kerr

Jim Kerr Active Member

Media:
    AWW Hell, why not.
    I am with Tom on this. Nymphing used to mean "subsurface dead drift presentation" no indicator or weight implied, or necessary. To me that has not changed. Control your dead drift well and you are nymphing well. When you get near the end of the drift its time to begin swinging well.
    However if you decided to use an indicator here is a secret. Big fat spey lines are designed to weigh a lot. That means when you airialize them to mend, you tend to lift your indicator and ruin your drift. So you need a heavier indicator, or a lighter line...
    I will leave it to others to explain to you how mixing strike indicators and spey rods leads to morel depravity.

12. Steve Bird

Steve Bird Member

What does Spey have to do with nymphing? Why put yourself in a box?

Assuming you already have experience fishing nymphs down there in Patagonia, with a singlehand rod, and you are fairly successful, with a basic knowledge of fly gear you should be able to, fairly easily, apply the same techniques to two-hand tackle. Think about it. Common sense.

13. stewart dee

stewart dee Guest

Wanted: Bobber and a two handed fly rod, thanks.

14. Patagonguy

Patagonguy Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Thank you for all the answers guys.

Patagonguy

15. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

A lot, to put it sustictly. Very effective way to chase summer runs during low water; probably far more effective than the usual 'swing.' No trick to what you do (cast choice) but 'aim' you cast slightly up or down stream from your position AND as the line is rolling out over the water do a BIG up-stream 'air mend.' This sets your flies below you leader, followed by the line. Flies sink like a rock (even off a 'floating' leader. Point being is the flies are the first thing the fish sees moving into his 'cone of vision.' If you have extra running line in hand, you can feed this into the drift.

At the end of all the above, the flies will go back to a normal swing (line tight), but you can cover quite a bit of water before that happens.

Fred

16. Steve Bird

Steve Bird Member

Fred: "A lot, to put it sustictly." (?)

More vague than succinct, though, as regards my question. You've described (very well) a single nymphing technique that has been in practice since the advent of wingless flies, and performed with either single or two-handed rods. Why put a 'spey' label on it? (The Scots laugh at us for this.) I posit that, with the tackle now available, virtually any nymphing situation, top to bottom, can be met with a two-handed rod.

Steven Bird
    www.columbiatrout.com

17. Steve Bird

Steve Bird Member

Patagonguy: You are in Argentina, right? Your original question: "I would like to try with nymphs on Spey, any recc?" Are you traveling to Scotland to fish the River Spey? Are you traveling to the Pacific Northwest to fish nymphs for steelhead, so would like to learn NW steelhead techniques? You must be more specific if you really want nuanced and informed answers to your question. And a little more face-to-face with those willing to take the time to answer you might help as well.

18. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

Steven, I take your point, but lets review the original question as the above is your forth/ fifth post.

" Nymphing with spey

I would like to try with nymhps on Spey.
    Any recc. here? Leaders, cast, etc.etc.
    Thanks in advance.
    P"

As the fellow isn't even here in North America, I was rather taken by the 'rude' response(s) to what was (for him and others?) a pretty straight forward question. Is the 'how' for a single hander or a two hander the same? Yup, but the initial question strongly suggested the Poster didn't know. And that to me is the hallmark of a good board. I don't care if the question is 'repetitive,' the fellow felt safe to ask ..... and was batted aside.

What if the fellow were a youngster (no photo Avatar)? Do you think he'd come back and follow/post here? Personally, can't imagine why. Why not do a search for him and include a link or two that covers the question asked? Seems like the 'Neighborly thing to do.'

Just my .02 cents.

Fred Evans

19. Steve Bird

Steve Bird Member

Fred: Forgive me if I have overposted. New to this forum and ignorant of the ettiquette. And certainly didn't mean to hurt anybody's feelings. I am sincerely trying to help the poster, and, in that effort, prompt a discussion on a very interesting topic. You are right about leaving a link, and I did leave contact information at an above post, should the poster, or anybody else want to dicuss it. Peace.

20. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

No worries Steve.:)

One of the real strengths of this Fora is 'all' questions posed are taken seriously. Follow up posts (mine as an example) may add a bit of information to what's already been put up, but that a good thing. In many cases a 'Newbie' may not even know how to properly phase his/her question, but that's ok too. It may well require a follow up question so the board members can focus on the issue, but that's fine too.

You should see/read some of the questions I pose on UK based boards vis a vis fishing for Atlantic Salmon and Sea Run trout (if you can believe, the majority of the fishing for ST is done after sun down! Can you imagine fly fishing in complete darkness?). Fellows used to tweak my nose frequently until one fellow pointed out that the closest AS was probably 3,000 some miles away or under the counter at Albertsons. The good thing is the majority of how/with what/conditions 'they' fish in are directly transferable to chasing Steelhead.

Actually, many of my most successful Steelhead patterns are direct copies, or slight variations, of commonly used flies over in the UK. You would have loved the comments they posted when I sent a couple of guys 'full on' Intruders; they were the size of a 'dead bird.' :thumb: 99% of the Guys/Gals on those boards are folks I'd really like to meet 'face to face.' Lot's of mail has gone both (from feathers to full on fly rods) ways as several of us regularly send 'stuff' one way or the other. Not only flies, but tieing materials; amazing what they have available that not here on our side of the Pond.bawling:

Another real strength of this Fora is the use of 'real names' for the posters. Most unusual, most unusual, but a darned good thing. Have a GREAT DAY and keep the tops of your waders above water level.:cool:

Fred