Nymphing with spey

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Patagonguy, Apr 21, 2010.

1. DoubleL A guy who loves to fish

Oregon & Washington
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Nicely put Fred. You have to be one of the most prolific forum posters in the history of fly fishing and I always look for your posts on the various boards because of what you offer and how you conduct yourself.
  2. speyday Rod tubes in the overhead compartment

Plainfield, IL
    If it makes you feel better, dont call it spey fishing an indicator rig.
    Call it "indicator fishing with a long rod". There.

Use a fast, tip action rod.
    Use airflo's speydicator line.
    Use the normal leaders and rigs on it just like a single handed rod.

Thats it. Simple. Many folks in the GL's use these rigs.
    They offer great control, and bigger distance.
    Dont get wrapped around the axle. Go fish.
  3. fredaevans Active Member

White City, Oregon, USA.
    Ratings: +123 / 0
    Thank you Sir.

I try my darnest to live up to that 'Personal Code.' For I may well be the next to ask a 'say what?' question. And Lordie knows, that's the case on some of the UK boards. Sometimes it's just a question of 'we say it this way, they say it that way,' but a legit question on my part.

Took them (over statement) a bit to get used to that, but that they did. Get 'flack' in the process? You betcha, but very few instances where someone (probably with more than a few single malts under their belt) got ... how shall we say? ... 'abusive.' Let it ride, let it ride, let them dig there own hole before I shoveled the" dirt" back on top of their head. Didn't enjoy the process, but many PM's back asking 'what took you so long?'

fae

Fred
  4. Runejl Josh

Bellingham, Washington
    Ratings: +6 / 0
    There are probably some that have the technique of nymphing with a spey rod dialed in. And in theory I can see why a person would feel that a spey rod is advantageous, longer cast's, being able to hold more line off the water, larger mends etc.

For me I have found it cumbersome to try and nymph with a long (spey) rod. Repeated mends, shifting rod positions and feeding line into your drift is much easier for me with a single handed rod. Usually when I nymph it is in fairly close proximity to my casting position and at an angle up stream. I then strip line in while making any necessary mends as my nymph setup drifts back down stream to me. As my nymph set up passes my casting position I will typically have a loop or two of extra line in my non casting hand, once my nymph setup passes I feed this line into the drift while continuing to mend. Spey rods are heavier and harder to manipulate, so if you only have one hand on the rod, it can be a real workout.
  5. stewart dee Guest

A good expensive two handed rod with a very high end reel some carron line, handmade leaders and a bag of bobbers and your good to go.
  6. DoubleL A guy who loves to fish

Oregon & Washington
    A good option is to use a long medium-fast action rod. Mystic makes a 7 wt 10' 3" rod that I am putting through the paces right now and so far it's very promising. It mends well at distance and both single-hand spey casts and overhead casts nicely. Haven't decided on a favorite line yet. In general though, you can use a standard tapered leader, my preference is to use Maxima Chameleon and make my own 9' leaders. For nymphing large flies and bobbers the stiffer Chameleon opens up a loop bit better. I'm also testing a couple of different furled leaders soon.
  7. fredaevans Active Member

White City, Oregon, USA.
    Very good points there Josh, very good indeed. 'Long rods,' and short casting is a 'oxymoron' in my opinion too. "Tip casting" you can do, but it's pretty awkward if your fishing at/under 30 feet (for me). That's when the single hander comes off the Jeep and back to work we go.
  8. speyday Rod tubes in the overhead compartment

Plainfield, IL
    Yes, of course.....if you are fishing short distances you have NO need for a long rod. Heck, use a 7 footer if its such short casting. The idea of a long rod here in the GLs has nothing do do with spey. It has to do with bigger casts to nymphable areas, and more control from farther away. This is done 30ft+ from a boat to super spooky fish in clear water-- or deep wading in what we consider big water. (Muskegon, Grand, Manistee, St. Joe)
  9. surfnfish Member

Salem, Oregon
    nothing wrong with a bit of much raking heresy, so here ya go..

first off, works better with a switch rod, or your shortest spey. Best line is a heavily weight forward line like the Rio Indicator..

On a small coastal river that just has very few swing opportunities, I use an 11' 7 wt switch over loaded with a 10 wt. Rio Steelhead Atlantic Salmon line, a leader several feet longer then actual depth, and a couple of heavily weighted nypmh or egg patterns tied onto 10# straight Maxima (tapered leaders bend more due to resistance differentials) , and then, heretical gasp, tie on a balloon indicatorabout 6" past the line/leader intersection. I can rollcast this well enough to shoot line with it, and always first cast upstream, and then throw a big loop mend as the indicator goes by, letting the flies bounce downstream ahead of the indicator..miss a lot less takes that way..

Would rather swing from a nice gravel bar into a defined seam, but there are some very productive riversthat just aren't setup that way..
  10. TomB Active Member

seattle,wa
    Ratings: +58 / 0
    I fish several small coastal rivers that are very confined and canyon-like with steep banks, bedrock ledges, and deep short pockets. I have had much success swinging flies in them and have yet to resort to bobber and egg fishing with my flyrod. Depending on water levels, either short heavy sinktips with weight flies, or floating line, long tapered leaders to weighted flies have been very effective. No need to turn your flyrod into a gear tossing machine. But, as in all things, to each their own.
  11. nutsack angler newb

Dedmonds, WA
    Ratings: +36 / 0
    Figuring out how to swing through small pockets, buckets, troughs, seams, dreams can be challenging but really fun. It's a nice departure from the broad swing steps and keeps you on your toes and at the top of your game. I prefer it to bobberbating but sometimes cannot resist the dead drift.
  12. fredaevans Active Member

White City, Oregon, USA.
    Well, we're not the only one thinking about this .... saw an advert next to the above post ... which lead me to this:

List"
    Sage: Z-Axis Switch: 5wt 11' Rod, 4-P, 5110-4
    Sage: Z-Axis Switch: 5wt 11' Rod, 4-P, 5110-4
    A line weight for small coastal rivers or indicator nymphing for trout. The perfect length for overhead and spey casting.

$715.00

Apparently even Sage has joined the Party.
    :>)
  13. sashjo Member

Lakewood, WA.
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    Sage has had an Indy line for a couple years now. To me, speys are for swinging but switches are the ultimate tool for nymphing.
    Doesn't the complete angler demonstrate flexibility in his technique and utilizes all presentations as needed?
  14. rick matney Active Member

Bozeman, Montana
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    I can cast my spey rods better than my centerpin so.......The sage indicator nymph line is not worth a damn for switch or two handed rods. I like the delta spey for nymphing with rods longer than 13' 6" and the speydicator for anything less. It is absolutely ridiculous what kind of drifts you can get with a switch and a speydicator. Balloons split shot and tapered leaders. I also like to put a swivel in the butt section above my indicator because when stripping 150 feet of line back upstream after a drift your indicator and leader tend to spin.
  15. yuhina Tropical member

Boston-Idaho
    Ratings: +43 / 0
    Brilliant! Thanks!