OAR RIGHTS?

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Manimal, May 4, 2012.

1. Manimal Member

Vancouver
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    Recently i left my oar roghts at home while floating a certain river and i have to say i didnt really miss them all that much.

what do some of you experienced rafters think of the necessity of oar rights on a 13' self bailer up to class 3?
  2. Evan Salmon Member

Moses Lake, WA
    Ratings: +18 / 0
    I don't use them for rowing, you can't feather or roll the blade if they're locked in the oarlock. I position them a foot or so up the shaft and use them as a stop so that they hold the blades upright when my hands are free. This makes sure the blades are in position for rowing when I grab for them, and locking them upright helps stabilize the boat when I'm swinging on an anchor.
  3. 1morecast Active Member

Port Angeles
    Ratings: +47 / 0
    I agree, never used them for the same reasons Evan mentions.
  4. Plecoptera Active Member

Bellingham
    Ratings: +28 / 0
    I like them just for the reason that you never have to worry about the blade being aligned correctly. This can be especially important for those times when you need to quickly get on the oars to avoid trouble, like when your trying to squeeze one more cast out of a run before dropping into a rock garden.

A lot of guys complain that they can't do certain motions with oar rights. I've spent a lot of time behind the oars ranging from lakes to whitewater and I have never once had the need to "feather' the oars on a fishing boat. I just don't see what it accomplishes (I understand the function on a crew boat though). Maybe someone could explain this to me.

My new cataracts came with the rubber stoppers which seem to work just fine for now, but eventually I'll probably add some oar rights.
  5. veilside180sx Member

Hillsboro, OR
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    Not a fan of them. I think I'd be more likely to use them on a drift boat than a raft, but...I doubt even that.
  6. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,329 / 9
    I like them. That is all that matters to me. I have mine set at a width that allows me to engage them and row with a comfortable hand width, but also allows for me to pull them in, flip them over so the oarright guide is down and against the oarlock, instead of inside. I can feather to my heart's content in that postion with a narrower hand width. This has become very comfortable to me.
  7. Evan Salmon Member

Moses Lake, WA
    Ratings: +18 / 0
    For me, feathering allows me to get more blade surface area in the water when I have to take shallower bites. More surface area means more power per pull.

Rolling the oar through the power stroke gives me cleaner, more efficient, blade entry and exits meaning I use less energy throughout the stroke.
  8. 1morecast Active Member

Port Angeles
    Ratings: +47 / 0
  9. YAKIMA AKA: Gregory Mine

Las Vegas
    Ratings: +24 / 0
  10. chewydog Active Member

Golden, Colorado
    Ratings: +43 / 0
    Me too, I quit going aroung in circles...
    Seriously, If you like oar rights, and you also like to feather the oars, cut part of the oar right off. Pulllin each oar inward 3.5-4" makes a big difference in stroke. Cut them so they are only in the lock 1-1.5". Big difference.
  11. Miller Member

North Bend, WA.
    Ratings: +4 / 0
  12. Benjy Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +57 / 0
    I second that. I have them for holding the boat straight while at anchor. My wife likes to row with them. I do not but they are nice to have. Another benefit is that over rope wraps they are not going anywhere, unlike the rubber donut that will migrate around.
  13. Eric Candelaria Member

North Bend, Wa
    Ratings: +22 / 0
    The convertible Oar Locks are the key I think. My wife, bless her heart, likes to fish and row. She gets frustrated with trying to keep her blades square so I went to the convertible oar locks. This allows me to flip them up and row free anytime I get in the seat. Best of both worlds and she stays happy. That is the key to a good marriage and great amount of fishing I get to do!
  14. Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Haus Alpenrosa, Lederhosenland
    Ratings: +864 / 0
    I didn't know the convertibles were out there. That's a good idea, and I think I'll pick up a pair for my boat.
  15. Rick Todd Active Member

Ferndale/Winthrop
    Ratings: +233 / 0
    I position the Oar rights toward my hands so they are never a factor when I'm rowing. I like them because when anchored in a river, the oars are positioned to act as a rudder and lessen the oscillation of the boat in the current. Rick
  16. jumbo215 Jasper hickman

lake forest park, wa
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    I dont know if this pertains to you, if your ever running white water Id reccomend taking them off. Ive known a few guys who have had their oars jammed in a rock and a just in a split seccond the oar pinned up in the oar right and have really tweaked the boat and broke oars.

Now all this can happen WITHOUT oar locks of course, all Im saying is your more likly to have a problem with oar rites than without them. Speaking from a white water perspective adding oar rites is inviting problems and I believe more importantly reinforcing poor rowing technique by not allowing complete control of the oar. Pretty much they are considered training wheels in the white water world.

Speaking from running drift boats there is no doubt that by locking your oar in the proper position it will hold you boat better in current so I can see an advantage there.

Personally I wouldnt be caught dead on a river with some serious water on with oar rites! But for running a drift boat especially if I was pulling plugs etc I would probobly have them.

Hope that helps,

Jasper
  17. hookedonthefly Active Member

Ratings: +121 / 0
    In my mind, it's completely personal preference and your level of experience. I'll add to the PP as far as oar rights and whitewater. In big, long, technical rapids when you're tired, missing an oar stroke might facilitate being caught dead.