Oar Rites wrong?

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by ex nihilo, Oct 25, 2004.

1. ex nihilo Stage 3

Snohomish, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Has anyone experienced problems using oar rites on their oar systems?

My problems was/is that if you tap the oar on a rock in shallow water, it will twist the oar away from the perpendicular position and lock it into a twisted position. The new position makes the oar stroke very inefficient and potentially dangerous.

The oar rites seem nice because you won't miss an oar stroke. But I'm probably going to go back to the donut.

Cheers
  2. Cactus Dana Miller

Tacoma, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    The oar rites come with a screw for securing the oar rite to your oar. This will prevent the twisting.
  3. YAKIMA AKA: Gregory Mine

Las Vegas
    Ratings: +24 / 0
    I think your going to get mixed reviews on this. I was in your position 6 months ago, and after asking around I pretty much decided that it is a personal choice. I decided that I would go without for a while and see if I can see an advantage to getting them. I can say now after time, I don't see a reason for them for a few factors. One is that there is time it is easier to "feather" the oar in shallow water, or to keep away from a rock. Or if you bind the oar up in something, the oar right will keep it that way until it either comes undone, or it pops out of the oar lock. It just seems now that I've gotten used to them the way they are, locking them in place could pose more situations where a problem would be caused by having them, not not having them...

My humble two cents, and by no means am I an expert. I'm glad I didn't get them, and one boat salesman who I have known for years called them training wheels for oars. Sorry if that raises hackles, or maybe I just misunderstood your question... :confused:

Greg
  4. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,656 / 0
    Stupid question time

What are oar rites. Is it something like last rites. Something you do to old oars when they die. :confused:

Jim :beathead:
  5. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +660 / 5
    Ah, there's nothing wrong with them. Actually Yakima, I think the guy is a bit biased. Pin/clips have been used for YEARS, and doubt he's gonna say that about some world class whitewater guys that they're training wheels for them(they are hardcore oarrights, just oarrights have MORE movement with them). Is he just an oar salesman (which you don't have to be a rowing expert to sell them) or does he put many hours on oars? Oar rights serve a purpose. Oarrights are great if you're running alot of hard water. If you're just moseying down pretty tame rivers, they aren't needed. But when things go wrong, it's nice having them there to keep the oars in proper position if you're running hard water. Plus, even if you stick them, they come out JUST like standard rings on the oars. They aren't "locked" in like pin/clips. Plus, you CAN tether your oars. If you have your oars adjusted correctly for oar stroke (especially on a driftboat) you should have MORE then enough room to tether your oars with minimal movement (about a 3-4" move max).

I actually have BOTH sits of rings ready to go. Just a quick change up and I'm ready to go. If an oar sticks, it sticks. Not much either is going to do for you (now, pin/clips, and you'll find out what STICKING really is). Key though is if you ARE going to use oarrights, SCREW them in. No point in putting them on if you're not. But if you're in a rough slot (say parts of Duc, Calawah, etc), if you slip on your oar, you'll be glad to have it in the correct position (which even seasoned professionals on the oars SCREWUP!). In a rough slot like Hell's half mile, you don't have much time to recorrect your oar. Even a couple seconds can mean swimming.
  6. papafsh Piscatorial predilection

Camano Island, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +62 / 0
    Reminds me of....

Hey Jim, I'm sure you bury old 'oars just like you would anyone else, it's just that when they get too old you can't expect them to turn as many tricks as the young 'oars do!....... ;)

Remindes me of the time I was out fishin' on a lake at the far end and lost one of my oars, man I didn't think I was ever going to get back to the boat launch. Then I see this guy in another row boat, him and a couple of gals, so I yell out "Hey buddy, can you lend me one of you 'oars!" ....he stands up in his boat, flips me the bird, and yells back " These ain't no 'oars......Thet's my wife and sister, you A-hole!" :rofl:

Sorry, guys couldn't help it, I heard that old joke on a Red Foxx album when I was 13 years old....kinda weird how you mind....ah....works sometimes...LOL!

I need to get out and catch me a steelhead real soon!

LB
  7. YAKIMA AKA: Gregory Mine

Las Vegas
    Ratings: +24 / 0
    Jerry, your right in all accounts. There are times where they would be a blessing, as in your examples. My water never comes close to that, and being as tired and as distracted as I was while typing this I probably should have covered all my bases better. The guy who referred to them as training wheels does know his stuff, and has no bias as he works for a boat manufacturer, and could have easily sold them to me by just saying so, yet me being green at that time, I put a lot of blind faith in what he said. And in my world of tamer, less tactical intense water, I never saw a reason to get them.

In my case, I can't see them. But in a bigger world, where more experience, knowledge, and security is needed, they would, and could keep you from swimming.

Experience is knowledge, and I'm still learning... But if you remember a while back me asking about counter balanced oars, and I think it was you suggested to go with them, thanks, they are great...
  8. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +660 / 5
    It probably was me. I prefer not to use counterbalanced. Mostly because I don't get arm fatigue rowing long or long/heavy oars all day. But they are great for those who don't use their upper bodies much. I have a set of counterbalanced sawyer oars, but prefer the non CB's most of the time. LOL.

Well, also would have to know the boat salesman too. Oarrights aren't that big of a sale anyways. Some base their opinions off what they've purely heard, not used. Never had a problem one using mine. But I mount mine correctly. But like I said, I rarely use the oarrights. Most of mine just have the rings on them. But if I'm running heavy water, out come the oarrights.