Oar rites

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Evan Burck, Oct 31, 2010.

1. jcalderon Member

A JUNGLE NEAR YOU
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Evan, if you wanna "try before you buy" come by the house, You can borrow my Cataracts, oar locks, and oar rights....

Just let me know.
  2. Ray Pelland Member

Port Ludlow, WA
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    Oar rights make solo drift fishing easier - especially if you're in a kick boat or by yourself in a larger cataraft. Think about tossing a dry or a nymph w/ indicator to a likely bank as you drift. The oar rights allow you to keep your eye on your fly while grabbing for an oar with your free hand to use for keeping the boat at a comfortable casting angle to the shore. That one oar can very effectively rotate your boat with just a little effort but if it the blade's at an angle you'll need take your eye off your fly to correct it - and that's usually when the fish hits it of course. In a bigger cataraft you can stand as you drift with the oar in one hand and your fly rod with a short amt of floating line out (say 30 - 40 ft w/leader) in the other making multiple one-handed casts as needed. Makes it pretty easy to cover that water well until the water speeds up or it pulls you too close to the shore and you have to drive the boat again.
  3. Rick Todd Active Member

Ferndale/Winthrop
    Ratings: +237 / 0
    sounds like a lot more work than simply using your fins and having both hands free to manage the line, mend, double haul etc. I'm always amazed at how few use this deadly technique on rivers! I've been using fins in rivers for at least 20 years and they work great as long as your quads are in good shape! Rick
  4. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Ratings: +1,700 / 2
    Fins wouldn't really work for me most places I fish. I'm typically (always) steelhead fishing, and on rivers that require constant rowing/rock dodging. Besides, getting out and putting the boots on at every stop sounds like a pain in the ass.
  5. Ray Pelland Member

Port Ludlow, WA
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    Yeah, the fins vs oars question is a matter of personal preference. I use either or both at different times and conditions. But the Oar-rights or no Oar-rights question is different. I'm just saying when you need oars and you're fishing - the rights can make life easier and they let you pay more attention to your drifting fly and what's happening on the water surface around you. You no longer have to pay much, if any, attention to your oar blades. I wouldn't launch my cataraft without them.
  6. Rick Todd Active Member

Ferndale/Winthrop
    Ratings: +237 / 0
    I use Force adjustable fins that fit over my wading boots. Takes about 10 seconds to put on take off. They work great on the Klickatat, Skagit or Sauk-haven't used them on any other steelhead rivers, but I use them all the time on trout rivers. In fact, I really don't see much if any need for oars on the Yakima most days. Rick
  7. Blue Active Member

Salt Lake City, UT
    Ratings: +111 / 0
    Nice things about the Force Fins, one you can actually walk forward in them because of the scoop shape. Two, the adjustable is Neoprene tp and heel, they don't wear on wading shoes. This is really important to me. I have had to replace boot foot Hippers in the past because the fins cut into them.
    So far, the flip up Omegas don't seem to be wearing on my boots either.
  8. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Ratings: +1,700 / 2
    I have fins, but they're not really relevant to this conversation (while I do appreciate the advice). I'm looking to improve my ability to keep the oars in the correct position, with or without oar rites.

I think I'm going to try the tape on the handle method.