Oars Revisited....

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by BirdyinBOI, Mar 17, 2012.

1. BirdyinBOI

BirdyinBOI Member

That makes complete sense. I want the oar to feel good and hold up but on rivers I know they won't be doing all that much work.

2. PT

PT Physhicist

Birdy, I've looked for those clamps off and on for years and haven't found them yet. If you find some, let me know where. I'll post a pic of what I ended up doing. It may take a while.

3. Silvertone

Silvertone New Member

I dont know for sure but those clamps look like chainlink fence fittings.

4. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Ahhhhhhhh, the illusive clamps. What I heard from Bill Day himself was that he had them machined/made directly for him. I've seen something that looked "sorta" similar at West Marine years ago, but wasn't quite the same. I myself have looked EVERYWHERE for them. Not sure if Steelheader still has rights to them (if they did design them) or if you could take one off and have it copied. Isn't much to them really. Wonder if a few of the marine shops may carry them?

5. BirdyinBOI

BirdyinBOI Member

I'll call Steelheader and report back.

6. PT

PT Physhicist

Jerry, I got the same answer from Bill. When I picked up my Osprey a few years ago he only had a couple on hand. He wouldn't sell them to me and wouldn't tell me when he was getting more. He did say they were made just for him. I looked everywhere and couldn't find 'em. Other stuff will work but those are perfect for the application.

7. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Bill kept that stuff pretty guarded after a bit. I couldn't ever get his insight on where he had them made. They are cast, so assuming probably overseas at one of the big production plants there. Just added his own hardware here. I have several, I guard them with my life. Bill would toss me a set free, but I bought one of his first Steelheaders from him years ago, and was something I considered a "friend". Just wouldn't talk shop that often, more fishing and rowing whitewater.