OB vs OB Short on the Beach

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by chrome/22, Aug 2, 2013.

1. chrome/22 For him there whould always be the riddle of steel

Hurricane Ridge, WA.
    Ratings: +13 / 0
    Give Anil a ring down @ Puget Fly Company, he is dialed in on Sage rods & NW beach lines.

c/22
  2. David Loy Senior Moment

Wolf Bay
    Ratings: +318 / 1
    Didn't care for the regular OB, floater or intermediate. Tried a 6wt OB Short floater a few months ago, and ran straight back to the fly shop to get an intermediate too! World of difference IMO. As long as your rod is fairly fast action, go for it. I can tell you the OB Short on a 6wt XP is a very good match.
    As an experiment, I took an older 6wt OB intermediate and chopped 7' off (similar to Mingo's post above), to use on an older 5wt Sage (GFL). That worked pretty well but the turnover at the end is very abrupt, as you would guess. Might be alright with a poly tip. So, for a floater on this 5wt rod I broke down and also bought a OBS
  3. Denny Active Member

Seattle, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +45 / 0
    This is an interesting tidbit of info; how do you know this?
  4. Denny Active Member

Seattle, WA, USA.
    SciGuy speaks big medicine. If beach slope isn't a problem behind me, I prefer the regular OB. The little time I've used the Short, it just didn't call out to me. I also prefer the longer length of sinking head the regular has relative to what the Short offers.
  5. golfman44 Coho Queen

Kirkland
    Ratings: +989 / 0
    Rio has stated this multiple times. If you email them directly (as I did) you will/should get the exact same response. They openly admit that it is marketing only and that it actually works.
  6. chrome/22 For him there whould always be the riddle of steel

Hurricane Ridge, WA.
    Ratings: +13 / 0
    Good to know.

I was using my regular OB 6 off a watermaster yesterday while fishing Stillwater, it works fine as a spot & stalk shooting line. Even from the sitting position I was able to get my leader/fly & another 50' of line out to hit the nooks & crannys.

c/22
  7. Denny Active Member

Seattle, WA, USA.
    I did, too. The salt and freshwater lines are the same; the Tropical version, however, has a different core.
  8. golfman44 Coho Queen

Kirkland
    Ratings: +989 / 0
    Interesting. I was told different. Oh well