Occupy Skagit - 2014

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by _WW_, Feb 9, 2014.

1. You had me at "clavish" ;)

2. Is a discouvery pass required At the steelhead park?

3. It's not a State Park (like Raser), so no Discovery Pass needed.

4. I'll be out of the country or I would come by. My sign would say "the rug really tied the room together."

Clavey?

miyawaki likes this.
  5. Clavey, better word.

6. The tug is the drug!

I will bring at least two rods up to work with.. Lee and I may be able to bring up a few of the new Orvis sticks too.

Clavey! I like it!

7. Great to see everyone getting ready. I've had connection issues with the forum lately but they are now resolved. (Thanks Chris!!!)

Last year after the get together, a crowd of us stopped at Annie's Pizza in Concrete - best pizza on the Skagit! They opened up the banquet room for us and were very kind in accommodating us on absolutely zero notice. This demonstrated two things, their hospitality, and the willingness of fishermen to infuse some dollars into the local economy. I am expecting some of us to do the same thing this year so I'll give them a heads up this time. But if I do, then some of us need to show up there so I don't turn into a liar.

Last Saturday Curt was on The Outdoor Line radio show discussing Occupy Skagit. Here is a link to the podcast:

http://theoutdoorline.com/podcasts/

During the event at the park I have reserved the open shelter that we used last year. As I recall it has some or one BBQ facility in case anyone is interested. There are others spread around the park also.

As I've mentioned before, the event at the park is a great time, tons of fun, and a perfect time to catch up with old friends while trying to garner some public and media attention. But the serious work of Occupy Skagit gets done in Olympia. The commissioners meeting is the one place where your voice gets heard, noticed and recorded. You get to look the movers and shakers of WDFW right in the eye and tell them what you want. These are the guys that decide and direct what gets priority in the department.

As you might guess there is an enormous amount of attention directed toward harvest opportunities statewide that keeps these commissioners occupied full time. A little ole C&R fishery up north that is shut down for no logical reason is not even on the back burner. And as far as the feds go, it is probably safe to say that it is not even in the kitchen. We can change that.

The format at the meeting is that you arrive early, fill out a quick form to be allowed to speak to them. All very formal and timed. You are allowed three minutes to say your piece. You don't have to speak for three minutes – you can give them as brief of a statement, or question, as you like.

I would also point out that speaking is NOT required. As I recall there are about 30-40 chairs in the room and lots of standing room. When I speak I am going to ask the crowd to raise a hand if their attendance is Skagit related. If you can show up and do that, it will means just as much, if not more as any statement you might make.

flybill, bennysbuddy, bhudda and 2 others like this.
  8. Less then two weeks away...

9. Bring some Tenkara rods,some of those new ones Orvis is pimpin

10. I'll bring up my 12' Iwana! It's the only one we sell at Orvis. Might be able to get a few of the bigger ones too, we'll see.

11. cool,This could be the birth of a two handed Tenkara Spey clave

flybill and KerryS like this.
  12. We have a week....lets hope for good weather. Last year we had basic steelheading weather; cold, overcast with drizzle and a ton of people showed up. Only steelheaders show up for a protest in a cold northwest drizzle. Maybe this year some better weather and even more will come. See you in a week.

13. Kerry -
    the 10 day forecast has Saturday with temperatures in the 40s with light rain/drizzle - in other words a typically spring day on the upper Skagit.

If those of us that were there last year could bring along some new we should have a great crowd.

See you there.

curt

flybill likes this.
  14. Curt,
    How long have you been trusting a 10 day forecast for NW Washington?

Jeff Sawyer, Ed Call and Jason Rolfe like this.
  15. Kerry -
    Excellent point!!!!

16. Nearly 54years with disapointing results, in my case.

17. This may only be of interest to the locals, but the Clear Lake Fire Department is have a Pancake Feed beginning at 6am. The mailer advertises ham, sausage, coffee, and juice...and one would assume, pancakes.
    And there is a shotgun raffle - tickets are $10 or 3 for $20

Clear Lake Fire Hall 23624 Jackson St. Clear Lake
    I'm thinking I'll be there when it opens, have some breakfast and then head for Rockport.

Looking forward to seeing everyone at Howard Miller Steelhead Park!

flybill likes this.
  18. And I was wondering where I might stop for breakfast. Clear Lake might just work. 6 is a scoosh early, but 7:00 AM should be about right to make it to Rockport by 9:00.

19. If I head that way late tonight, where might I car camp or hang my hammock between a pair of trees?

20. Brian Lencho and I are meeting at the Old Mill in Lyman at 8AM

Leland.

flybill likes this.