Occupy Skagit - 2014

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by _WW_, Feb 9, 2014.

1. Tool Fly Member

seattle, wa
    Ratings: +22 / 0
    This is a pretty easy going bunch (unless you want to talk about wolves--I suggest you don't) and I think that if your interest in our sport of Fly Fishing is genuine you'll find that your sense of humor will fit right in. In the meantime, I would suggest you lose the bait casting rod as your avatar--it's a bit of a hint that maybe you are just messin' around. If not, welcome!
  2. Stevign New Member

Mt. Vernon, WA
    Ratings: +2 / 0
  3. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,358 / 9
    Use that as your avatar. You will fit in, or you won't. Welcome, if you are interested in sticking around and contributing to the community.
  4. Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

Bellingham Wa.
    Ratings: +316 / 1
    What's wrong with smoking dope?
    Salmo_g and Stonefish like this.
  5. Stevign New Member

Mt. Vernon, WA
    How's that avatar? Does anyone here Spey cast? I fished all the time growing up in the Mid-West. After leaving home I didn't really fish a lot until 2 years ago when I finally decided to try out river fishing, although I don't have a boat. I bought a good salmon/steelhead rod, a Shimano Calcutta reel and then spent many hours researching.

My past fishing knowledge and success wasn't enough, I needed to learn knots, techniques, fish species and gear, which I did. After leaning all I could online, talking to old-timers and practicing 3 to 5 times a week on the Skagit, I became very good at drift-fishing.

That leads me to my next challenge; and that's learning how to Spey cast. Because it's another big investment, I'm reduced to saving up for a good reel and Spey rod, or perhaps a Switch rod. Plus, I can only assume I will need to invest in some lessons.

So what brought me here? In searching for some other fishing sites I ran into this one and figured I might check it out in hopes of learning more about Spey casting, I assume some of you do. I'm not asking for anyone here to change the topic, but if it comes up maybe I'll learn something.

So....that's my story and I'm sticking to it. :)
  6. Stevign New Member

Mt. Vernon, WA
    LOLOL.........
  7. Stevign New Member

Mt. Vernon, WA
    This is kind of confusing, where's the button that carries a member's quote when I want to reply to them? When I hover over the Reply button it does say [reply, quoting this message] but it hasn't worked for me yet. What am I doing wrong?
  8. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,358 / 9
    Probably using a PC. There has been an ongoing glitch with quotes. I use my apple product for quotey goodness.
  9. _WW_ Fishes with Wolves

Skagit River
    Ratings: +648 / 0
    The very idea of Occupy Skagit basically started out as a joke between two good friends grousing about not being able to fish. Something like, "We ought to occupy that sumbitch!"

That was a few years ago when 'occupying' was all the rage.
    As for pooping on the sidewalk - that's why I live in Clear Lake - we don't have any sidewalks!
    flybill likes this.
  10. Stevign New Member

Mt. Vernon, WA
    Ed:

Thanks for the heads up. I'm pretty computer savvy, so it's nice to know that I'm not totally blind. Obviously the problem hasn't been fixed yet and I assume more than a few of us have notified the host?
  11. Stevign New Member

Mt. Vernon, WA
    re: "The very idea of Occupy Skagit basically started out as a joke between two good friends grousing about not being able to fish. Something like, "We ought to occupy that sumbitch!"
    That was a few years ago when 'occupying' was all the rage."

lolol.....Ok, now I get it. Good one.

re: "As for pooping on the sidewalk - that's why I live in Clear Lake - we don't have any sidewalks!"

Shrewd.
  12. Stevign New Member

Mt. Vernon, WA
    Here's a video that you all might enjoy, plus it's in high-def.

Davy likes this.
  13. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1,754 / 0
    I use a variety of devices to post to the board. Everything from a Win7 system, Win8 system, Win8 Tablet and an iphone. I have no problems using the reply with quote feature on any of these devices. Try again Ed.

Occupy Skagit is a group of concerned anglers that seek to change the current all is one management plan for Salish Sea steelhead to a basin by basin management plan and to re-establish the Skagit River Catch and Release spring steelhead season. It has nothing to do with shitting on the sidewalk, smoking dope, and little to nothing to do with capitalism.
    bennysbuddy, Davy and Steve Knapp like this.