Occupy Skagit View from the Water

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by miyawaki, Apr 6, 2013.

1. miyawaki Active Member

Kent, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +879 / 1
    Ain't no fishin' here!
    Leland.

photo: Sozinho Imagery
    Occupy_Skagit-002.jpg
    Andrew Lawrence likes this.
  2. miyawaki Active Member

Kent, Washington, USA.
    Washington, Oregon, Utah and British Columbia represented.

Leland.
  3. Jonathan Tachell Active Member

Gig Harbor, Washington
    Ratings: +187 / 0
  4. Dorylf Oregon Member

Salem, OR
    Ratings: +61 / 0
    Cops? T.V.? Newspapers?

Anyone have their fishing license checked?

Just curious.
  5. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,471 / 9
    Fantastic. Wish I could have been there.
  6. Patrick Allen Active Member

Bothell,WA
    Ratings: +177 / 0
    Good work to all who participated

SCARBOO
  7. papafsh Piscatorial predilection

Camano Island, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +63 / 0
    I was unable to attend because I was working :mad:
    Good show by those who did make it.

LB
  8. miyawaki Active Member

Kent, Washington, USA.
    Just a couple WDFW officers and a park ranger who were there to make sure we didn't toss trash cans through windowd, set busses on fire or loot the stores.

Leland.
    freestoneangler likes this.
  9. _WW_ Fishes with Wolves

Skagit River
    Ratings: +667 / 0
  10. Andrew Lawrence Active Member

Renton, WA.
    Ratings: +100 / 0
    I was glad to see so many people present; some of whom traveled more than quite some distance to be there.
  11. Richard Torres Active Member

Mill Creek
    Ratings: +76 / 0
    A quote from the GoSkagit article.

Wayne Cline, one of the event’s organizers, remembers the Skagit River as a premiere steelhead fishing destination.
    "Saturday’s showing was “twice as many as I dreamed,” Cline said.

Very nice to see a larger than expected turnout and it looks like the weather cooperated too.
  12. Dorylf Oregon Member

Salem, OR
    Ratings: +61 / 0
    Thanks. I hadn't seen anything on the news but, then, I'm also 300 miles south so maybe that's not a surprise.

My curiosity comes twofold: there are a lot of rivers seeing similar closures so implications of the wade-in are potentially far reaching, and I've always wanted to fish the Skagit (It's the best river I've actually seen without at least the pleasure of sampling--you know, one of those nose-pasted-to-the-window-oh-crap!-I'm-supposed-to-be-driving experiences).

Anyway, thanks to everyone for their efforts.

13. Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

Olympic Peninsula
    Ratings: +685 / 0
    No fishing licenses required- we weren't fishing. Fishing is closed. That's the whole problem. Budgetary issues still make law enforcement a real problem too. None of this will get better overnight. All in all an inspiring day.
    doublespey likes this.
  14. doublespey Steelhead-a-holic

Bothell, WA
    Ratings: +22 / 0
    It was good to see so many concerned Skagit anglers gathered @ Howard Miller. Thanks to all who participated - it was a great event and encouraging to see anglers leading the way when DFW policies need changing. No guarantees, but a step in the right direction IMO.
  15. freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Edgewood, WA
    Ratings: +786 / 1
    And for that we are all grateful. In spite of my personal difference of opinion as to whether C&R is the right thing to do for the Skagit, at this particular time, my hats off to the groups effort to respectfully make their feelings known.
    Jonathan Stumpf likes this.
  16. FT Active Member

Burlington, WA
    Ratings: +102 / 0
    I was pleasantly surprised when I open my copy of the "Skagit Valley Herald" this morning and found on page 3 the article that can be found at the goskagit site that was cited above. It was very nice seeing the newspaper fairly accurately reporting what it was all about. Too bad the enforcement officer from WDFW didn't tell the truth about the Skagit/Sauk steelhead being included with all the other rivers in Puget Sound, Hood Canal, and the Staight of Juan d' Fuca when he explained the closure. But he did say that he'd like to see the Skagit and Sauk opened for C & R fishing because it makes it harder for poachers. Overall, I thought it was a good, ballanced report that took up more than 1/2 of a page.
  17. porterHause Just call me Jon

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +177 / 0
    Definitely one of the cooler things I've done in fishing. Great to meet those of you I did.
    KerryS, _WW_ and miyawaki like this.
  18. Achilles Member

Washington
    Ratings: +24 / 0
    Well done. Shows folks there are passionate people who love the rivers and the fish which is maybe the most important point. Great that so many showed up. Hopefully this can become a trend and we can do it again sometime.
  19. Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Haus Alpenrosa, Lederhosenland
    Ratings: +895 / 0
    Would have loved to be there, but I'm afraid her Ladyship "gifted" me with some bug she brought home from the hospital. Still kinda queasy!