Ocean Acidification Report in Seattle Times (with PNW linkage)

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Thomas Mitchell, Oct 10, 2013.

1. Cliff is right, Times is wrong. Again.

Evan Burck likes this.
  2. Yet another great example of drawing a conclusion then begin piecing together the data to support it. Now having the blinds pulled up on the temperature angle, time to double down on CO2.

3. Indeed. It is definitely something to be concerned about. But using unsubstantiated "data" to support your narrative doesn't help anybody.

4. The original article has gotten some updates since the Seattle Times ran it. They can be found by clicking the link "Updates," that can be found in the menu running across the top of the article. One of the updates is a very convincing rebuttal of Cliff Mass's criticism. After reading it, I now believe that Cliff Mass is wrong.

5. I had my doubts about Mass's criticism when I initially read them as I had had colleagues who do research on these issues describe the same conclusions as summarized in the Seattle Times. The rebuttal, with links to actual biological scientific research, blows Mass's conjunctures out of the water. Just like I wouldn't rely on my larval biology friends to tell me the weather, I wouldn't have Cliff Mass tell me how to grow oyster larvae.

Steve

6. Any so called "science reporter" who calls ocean water dropping in pH from 8.2 (slightly basic) "more corrosive" is an idiot. Why can't the ST hire someone with a science degree to write this stuff? Too busy chasing Pulitzers I guess.

7. ST can't hire real reporters because they are a newspaper and like all other newspapers in this country their business model is being disrupted by the internet. They have been cutting operations for a decade.

8. It seems like the term "ocean acidification" is originally what some researchers and the media chose to call a drop in the pH of ocean water, and everyone else adapted it since it was already being used. I can see beyond the confusing terminology here. (Perhaps some folks find that sloppy use of terminology confusing). It all seems relative. A lowering of pH can be called "decreasing alkalinity" or "increasing acidity."

As far as ocean water varying from a pH of 8.2 to 7.6 in 2009 off the Oregon coast, there was actually more upwelling of lower pH (contains more dissolved CO2) water happening off the OR coast in the prior 4 years. They weren't able to accurately measure the pH changes those years, since instruments weren't in place, and they were still working on figuring out the source of the oyster larva deaths that occurred 4 years in a row (2005 thru 2008). I would guess that the pH of the OR coastal water probably dropped below 7.6 a few times during those prior 4 years that experience greater upwelling.

The lower pH water prevents the oyster larva from growing shells. Perhaps that is why it is being called "more corrosive."
    Personally I'm not going to nitpick on the terminology.