Ocean Shores surf perch on gear

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by CovingtonFly, Mar 22, 2007.

1. CovingtonFly B.O.H.I.C.A. bend over here it comes again

Covington, Wa
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I'm headed over to Ocean Shores and I thought I might try my hand at the ole surf perch. I'll be using gear due to time restraints, other people, and cold ass water! I was gonna dig some clams up and use the necks, but I guess it's closed so I'm in need of another bait (feels funny saying that). You can PM me with suggestions if you want so nobody on here knows that you fish with gear or know anythig about it :eek:
    Thanks, Cov
  2. Anyfish Fishing with the kids

Olympia, WA
    Sandshrimp work, they just will not stay on as long........or so I have heard.
  3. Dick Warnke was Pram-Man

Federal Way Wa
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    Attach sandshrimp tails with an egg loop. Also mud worms are good and years ago I used to catch them by sliding half a night crawler up a worm hook. Good Luck and good eating!! :thumb:
  4. Philster New Member

Ratings: +3 / 0
    Screw bait. In the surf they are visual hunters. slip on an egg sinker, swivel, 18 inches of leader a bait holder hook, and thread a "motor oil" colored rubber "grub" on. If the fish are in the vicinity, you'll catch 'em. Don't blind cast. holes, troughs and in the breakers. In that order.
  5. Phil Fravel Friendly

Bonney Lake
    Ratings: +87 / 0
    Years ago my friends and I did great at the mouth of the lyre river using 1 to 1.5 inch white rubber crappie jigs
  6. CovingtonFly B.O.H.I.C.A. bend over here it comes again

Covington, Wa
    Thanks for the info. I heard that the sandshrimp fall off easily so I got some powerbait sandshrimp "the fish hold on 5 million times longer!" so hopefully they will stay on longer.
    I gotta tell ya it was weird staring at all that gear. I had to call a guy over to help me out, I was just staring at this wall of 10 different kinds of everything. It seems like every product had a picture of a bass on it too. Anyhow, thanks for the input
  7. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Ratings: +532 / 0
    One more thing. Philster was right. Surf perch are visual hunters, cruise around in schools, are opportunistic feeders and pick up anything that resembles food, but are quick to spit out anything that is not. You have to be quick with artificials. But they take them readily.
    You might not get a second chance to set the hook.

But if you are using bait, and they didn't steal your sandshrimp or bait on the first bite, they, or another competing hungry school mate, will be back on the bait in no time. They are quick to steal your sandshrimp. If you use two leaders and hooks, you can often get double hookups.
  8. Phil Fravel Friendly

Bonney Lake
    Ratings: +87 / 0
    Id be willing to bet a small white Bunny leach on an sinking tip line would work also
  9. Philster New Member

Yeah, but a normal length shank size 6 hook, with a brass bead, short orange thread "neck", motor oil cactus chenille, and a short tail of some kind of bright shit works better. Notice I keep saying "motor oil"? Hopefully he's listening... shad flies in silver and red work great too...
  10. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Digging or tubing sandshrimp can be alot of work and hard on the back. Since I will only use a sandshrimp for bait that I have personally caught, I am leaning more toward flies. I'm going to soak my old moldy summer (4mm torso, 3mm legs & arms) surfin wetsuit in bleach and hang it in the sun inside out (so I don't give my entire body "athlete's foot" or some other fungi-imperfecti scourge), and go after them this spring and summer. A wetsuit is safer than waders for wading in the surf. You can just let the waves break on you, no problem.
  11. salt dog card shark

Edmonds WA / Mazama
    Type III sink tip and chartreuse / white clousers striped behind the breakers works, but Jim is right about the wet suit vs. the waders. If you're wading, bring along a change of clothes and your sense of humor.
  12. hbstriker Member

Port Orchard, WA
    Try Berkley Gulp! sand worms in the Camo color. they work wonders.
  13. Banzai FFing and VWs...Bugs & Bugs

Bremerton, WA
    Even a dozen or so 60-70 count white shrimp will work well. You can cut them into chunks so that it lasts longer, and it stays on the hook better. Try a two-hook Crappie rig. Fun when you get a double.
  14. Jeremy Floyd fly fishing my way through life

Quesnel, BC
    Ratings: +301 / 0
    During High School I lived in Reedsport, OR. I was a surf perch fishing machine.

I always freeze the tip of the clam necks (the part you snip off with a pair of scissors) and stock them up for surf perch. Stays on for multiple fish quite often and works great. Small pieces of prawns (I usually get 4 pcs from each 2" prawn) work really good too hooked with an egg loop.

You can easily toss the peanut sized chunks of clam necks w/ a 6wt fly rod too (incoming flames I am sure). I still do this around the pilings in puget sound for perch because you get such a nice slow natural looking sinking action. Crab Butter mashed into a scent vent works awesome too in front of a pearly pink bead.
  15. Canoe Rider Member

Seattle, WA
    Surf perch at Hobuck Beach near Neah Bay, are there any? I assume there are but have no idea.

I'll be camping there at the end of April so wanted to know if anyone has insight. It's a famous surfing break so conditions are right, I would assume.
  16. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Ha Ha..."famous surfing break." :rofl: Hobuck Beach campground is more known for the primitive nature of their outhouses, but it is still a great place to camp. Don't know about the surfperch fishing there, but you might check to see if you need a tribal fishing permit to fish off the beach. I know you need one to fish in the Sooes River, which empties into Mukkaw Bay there. Looks like it would be good, though.

I used to ride my longboard there in the smaller summer waves, on occasion. Sometimes a good sandbar would develop off the rivermouth...producing a fun little left in front of the rocks. In the winter, the beach break there sometimes gets good enough to rip on shortboards, especially when the swell is "just right"--(don't ask, as I won't go as far as to divulge the swell size and direction) and the winds are blowing offshore, but it is a "default, last chance" surfing destination we checked out when the better, formerly "secret" spots on the Cape were blown out or too big and gnarly.

Have fun. Go out on the Cape Loop and take the boardwalk to the Tatoosh Lookout. Cool little walk. Also, I don't know if the Makahs have settled with the O.N.P. yet on the trail access issue, but we used to pay to park in a tribal members yard and hike in to Shi Shi Beach, which is a nice wild beach to visit.
  17. Canoe Rider Member

Seattle, WA
    Thanks for the input. I don't surf but have been there before and saw a lot of surfers seeming to have a great time. It is a beautiful spot although yes, it is rustic. I like to stay there when fishing Neah Bay as it is nicer than any of the hotels in town.
  18. koolminx Member

Gorst, Washington
    I'm going to the ocean at the Aberdeen area, I guess it's near ocean shores.

I have a big old rod I'll be using and I don't mind getting wet. I can cast the darn thing a friggin mile if necessary.... :) :)

I've not fished in the last 26 years here in Washington, all I've done is bass fishing back east and Fly trout fishing in England, and I've never Surf fished.

Who's going to walk me through it so I can print it out and take it on the trip and catch some darned dinner? I have no clue what you all were talking about when you said Egg Loop etcettera...

Thanks!

Gary
  19. koolminx Member

Gorst, Washington
    I reckon that this post is so old that nobody frequents it? Well, I'm leaving in an hour or so.
  20. salt dog card shark

Edmonds WA / Mazama
    I've only fly cast to red tailed surf perch at the Ocean, but my buddy sets his rod up with a 3-way swivel, ties off a fairly hefty pyramid sinker off of the swivel with about 15 test, and uses clam necks for bait on about 3 feet of 20 lb test line off of the remaining swivel.

Chuck it out as far as you can. Try to look for areas where the waves don't seem to be breaking as much, which usually signifies a dip in the bottom that fish use to go in and out of the breaking waves. Ocean Shores is tough because of the long shallow slope of the beach. I would look for something with a drop off a little closer to the beach. Happy hunting.