october caddis

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by jditto, Oct 7, 2002.

1. jditto New Member

Ratings: +0 / 0
    i hear i need to get some october caddis imitations. the one i found in a book looks great but it is huge! its on a 9672 # 8 and uses alot of moose hair. also it is more of a burnt orange than the ginger body that i thought an october caddis should be. a friend of mine on the east coast gave me his version of an october caddis but it was just an elk-hair caddis and smaller as well. what do you guys and girls use? thanks jer
  2. ceviche Active Member

Shoreline, Washington, U.S.A.
    Ratings: +42 / 0
    How about a Stimulator tied in the appropriate colors? Or even a elk or deer hair caddis?
  3. Michael Thore Member

woodinville, wa
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    Tie those up, ceviche. I was trout fishing last weekend on a local river, trying to match the tiny duns that were in the air, (and mosquitos) but wasn't successful until I tied on an october caddis. There were only 1/2 dozen in the valley as I looked up but a couple were down laying eggs on the surface. I pulled a Caddis out of my steelhead fly box (the smallest oct caddis i had was an 8) and on the 2nd cast nailed a nice 15-16" rainbow. They will hit them very aggressively!!!
  4. jditto New Member

was your pattern a stimulator or something else?
  5. Michael Thore Member

woodinville, wa
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    nope..it was a true caddis pattern. orange dubbed body with tan elk/deer hair wings. I've seen others that use a turkey quill as wings.
  6. Preston Active Member

Ratings: +474 / 0
    The eastern October caddis is an entirely different genus than the several members of the Dicosmoecus genus common to western rivers. The eastern October caddis is both smaller and lacks the bright orange color of the western bug. Another common name for the western October caddis is the Giant Orange Sedge and it lives up to the name, being up to an inch-and-a-quarter in length, imitated with flies tied on hooks ranging from size 4 to 8. One of my favorite October caddis patterns is a simplified version of Cutter's Perfect Caddis (I omit the palmered body hackle) with a spun and clipped orange deer hair body, brown deer hair wing and dun hackle.
  7. flyfishnm Member

Helena, MT
    I love it fishing caddis patterns. There is a multitude of techniques you can use to fish them, depending on what the conditions are, and I've tried most of them(i think :BIGSMILE ). One of the most interesting was putting a split on and dredging it subsurface. It worked quite well.

~Ryan :pROFESSOR
  8. jditto New Member

thanks fellas for the great info. i tied a few up last night and i might need to buy a few bigger fly boxes for these huge things! jer