October is for Sea-run cutts

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Chester Allen, Oct 17, 2012.

1. Chester Allen Fishing addict and scribbler

Olympia, WA
    Ratings: +32 / 0
    October is the best month of the year for big, fat healthy sea-run cutts in Puget Sound, and this is why I just can't stay away....

I hooked this fish in South Sound a couple of weeks ago, and the fishing just keeps getting better and better. Sand lance on the falling tide....

Attached Files:

2. Steve Saville Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +289 / 1
    Oh ya! That's it. I was out Saturday on a blustery, rainy day at Narrows Park and managed one small fish on the incoming tide. I'll be out many more days this month, if possible. It's getting tough to choose the poison as I'm heading for Coho and Steelhead Friday and Chums in the near future with our club. NIce work, Chester.
  3. mtskibum16 Active Member

Puget Sound Beaches
    Ratings: +191 / 0
    Nice fish! October is the month for lots of fish....almost too many options to decide!
  4. Coug84 Go Cougs!!!

Seattle, Washington
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    How great is that rod? I have a 9' 5wt and love it. I Love your book, Fly Fishing for Sea-Run Cutthroat also!!!
    Shawn
  5. Mark Mercer Member

port orchard, wa
    Ratings: +466 / 0
    Nice looking Cutt, you just got to love this time of year, so many options.
  6. Jason Rolfe Wanderer

the beach
    Ratings: +371 / 0
    Went out looking for some end of season coho this morning. Ended up hooking into about 5 nice sized cutts at my favorite beach spot. Didn't land any of them on the 8 wt--I think it wasn't forgiving enough. I'm going to string up the 5 wt. and take it to the beach with me in the morning, and if I start finding those cutts again, gonna have me some fun!

Jason
  7. Chester Allen Fishing addict and scribbler

Olympia, WA
    Coug84:
    I love that rod a lot! It does a lot of things really well. This past year it has tossed hopper flies on the Madison, Yellowstone and Slough Creek, big salmonfly flies on the Deschutes, streamers on the Columbia and, of course, lots of sea-run cutt flies.

The rod has a nice mix of backbone and touch. It's not a gun, but I think 80-foot casts are overrated for most fishing situations.

Thanks for your nice words about my book!

Chester
  8. Chester Allen Fishing addict and scribbler

Olympia, WA
    Steve,
    This is the month when we're all rich out on the water, and I resent any day that my waders stay dry. Let's fish soon!
  9. Steve Saville Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +289 / 1
    I am free most days as retirement is sweet. I was just getting ready to head out this morning when I got a call from school to sub. I hope to hit the beach tomorrow morning as long as I don't get blown off the water and then the Kalama on Friday with two friends from Battleground. Most any day is a fishing day.
  10. Puget Sound Pimp Banned or Parked

Ratings: +9 / 0
    Nice fish! I was fishing near fox island today and hooked into 3 SRC that ranged from 14-18 inches. October is a great time to hit the SRC, especially before the chum start showing up.
  11. Bradley Miller Dances with fish

Tacoma
    Ratings: +102 / 0
    Gah! That's (almost) my neighborhood......
    A little help???
    :)
  12. High Flyin Member

Gig Harbor, WA
    Ratings: +26 / 0
    Had the best SRC day ever SRC3.JPG yesterday. These fish are addicting. Most were 12"-13" range and the one above and a few others pushed the 17"-18" mark.
    Dehlan G and DimeBrite like this.
  13. Stonefish Triploid and Humpy Hater

Pipers Creek
    Ratings: +1,163 / 1
    Nice work on the cutts Chester and Chris.
  14. miyawaki Active Member

Kent, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +733 / 1
    It's been a fabulous fall on the beaches guys!

Leland.
  15. DimeBrite MA-9 Beach Stalker

Marine Area 9
    Ratings: +258 / 0
    The cutt in that photo is a slab, nice catch!

My best cutthroat in terms of fighting strength and girth was landed at a south Sound beach on a stormy day in mid-October. I couldn't take a photo, but I'll never forget how tense and long the struggle was to land that football cutt.

16. Steve Knapp Beach Bum

Maple Valley
    Ratings: +205 / 3
    Sick fish , all of them!
  17. Jason Rolfe Wanderer

the beach
    Ratings: +371 / 0
    I'll tell you what, taking the 5 wt. out this morning after casting the 8 wt for 1.5 months was quite the experience.

Thing felt like a straw, and it was very weird not having a heavy, barbell-eyed clouser on the end. I was fishing a popper, which basically felt like having nothing on the end of my line.

Getting excited to spend some time on the cutts though. The last two mornings have been great for them.

J
  18. mud sculpin New Member

university place , wa.
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    A quick pic of this guy before he swam off to fight another day... I fished 3 mornings last week in the rocky bay area on Case inlet and landed about 25 fat cutt's over the 3 mornings... very few small fish, most were in the 16-17 inch range with a couple maybe 18".
    olive over white clouser was the ticket... Great fish'n !!! 033.JPG
    wadin' boot and Bradley Miller like this.
  19. Chester Allen Fishing addict and scribbler

Olympia, WA
    I've been fishing Puget Sound like a maniac since 1993, and this has been the best fall fishing yet. I think mandatory catch and release makes this fishery better every year, and I suspect -- and hope -- that things will continue to improve. I think about that state record cutt caught in South Sound decades ago, and I wonder how much bigger our fish can get.... In any case, nothing beats walking a beach with a light rod and a box of streamers and poppers. CIMG0864.jpg
    Bradley Miller likes this.
  20. Chester Allen Fishing addict and scribbler

Olympia, WA
    All I can say is: Wow!