Octobr Caddis Wet Fly

Discussion in 'Patterns' started by Ron Eagle Elk, Feb 18, 2009.

1. Ron Eagle Elk Active Member

Yelm, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +108 / 0
    Last fall I was about a week early for the major October Caddis hatch on the Selway and Lochsa rivers in Idaho. I decided to tie up a wet that maybe stood a chance of getting some action. These worked very well in I daho and here at home.

[IMG]

Hook is TMC 200 size 8, black thread, burnt orange squirrel and SLF dubbing for the abdomen, black squirrel and SLF dubbing for the thorax and a black hen hackle semi-palmered through the thorax. Quick easy tie that works well.

REE
  2. Cougar97 Member

Spokane Washington
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    Swing that baby on the Clearwater or Ronde in October when the Great Pumpkin hatch is on. That will get the attention of those summer run Steelies.

Tight Lines.
    :beer2:
  3. Preston Active Member

Ratings: +422 / 0
    Nice pupa pattern Ron, here's my similar pattern which has proven to be effective for sea-run cutthroat and Yakima rainbows. Ralph Cutter says that the October caddis pupa will crawl and swim about for as much as couple of days after leaving its case and before crawling ashore to molt into the adult form.
  4. Ron Eagle Elk Active Member

Yelm, WA, USA.
    Preston, Thanks for the comments and sharing your pattern. Are the antennae on yours partridge hackle fibers? Nicely barred.

REE
  5. cabezon Sculpin Enterprises

Olympia, WA
    Ratings: +237 / 0
  6. Ron Eagle Elk Active Member

Yelm, WA, USA.
    Cabezon,

Nice pattern and really nice fish.
  7. Richard Olmstead BigDog

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +782 / 0
    Nice fly, Ron. I've tied them more like Steve's in the past, but I think I'll tie up some of yours this year.

Preston and Steve, why the bead chain eyes on these patterns. I've never thought of caddis pupae having prominent eyes. Is it just to help get these down adn provide a little sparkle?

Dick
  8. Norme DM is a D bag

Zen's Mom's House
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I prefer to fish bead head October cadis
  9. scottflycst Active Member

Ozark Mtn springwater
    Ratings: +24 / 0
    Killer fly Ron.
    Great work!
  10. cabezon Sculpin Enterprises

Olympia, WA
    Ratings: +237 / 0
    Hi Richard,

I don't remember why I have tied my October caddis with bead-chain eyes. I may have been copying someone else's pattern or just based it off pictures. The adults do have distinct dark eyes and they should be visible in the pupae as well. While the bead-chain eyes add mass, I also wrap lead through the thorax too. It may be that I lacked black bead heads when I wanted to first try the fly, but I had some black bead chain. The pattern works so well now that I'm reluctant to change it. I imagine that alot of classic steelhead and salmon flies had a similar genesis.

Steve
  11. Preston Active Member

Ratings: +422 / 0
    Ron,
    The antennae are golden pheasant tail fibers, two each.

Richard,
    The October caddis pupa does have rather prominent dark eyes and, of course, the bead chain eyes do add a bit of weight and give the fly just a little bit of a jigging motion on the retrieve.