Odd catch

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Saltman, Dec 3, 2008.

1. Saltman "Just Fish!"

WA
    Ratings: +5 / 0
    On a recent trip to Baja, among the "normal" gamefish I caught I landed a beautiful pufferfish. It made me think about other fly fishers, and what strange species others have encounters in the salt....

The PNW grand slam for me was Coastal Cutthroat, Silver and Blackmouth. I have heard about Herring, Bullhead and Flounder. Any other thoughts????
  2. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,357 / 9
    I fished the beaches around Pensacola Beach for many years while stationed there. One day running my usual haunts I caught a sheepshead around some pilings of a decrepid dock on a little crab(its mouth was full of molar like teeth on it cheeks, tongue and roof of the mouth), and a pompano on a sand flea. I then headed home and hit an estuary where I caught a speckled trout and a spanish mackerel. I was not a fly fisherman then, but pretty good gear fisherman. The only thing that I would consider odd was that sheepshead and all those molars in its mouth. Freaky fish in those warmer saltwater locations. I only wish I was a fly fisherman, how exciting all the fish I caught there would have been on a fly rod. (I was single, had a cush job, fished before work and after work almost every day and took lots of days off to fish the whole day in multiple spots).

Great question Saltman, now I'm going to be useless at work as I nostalgically recall trips involving barracuda, cobia, king mackerel, bonita and wahoo all caught within easy reach of my humble Pensacola house. I should have never sold that house, I could certainly use it as an escape from the PNW every now and then. I'll have to look up a few friends down there to see if they have a spot for a fly fisher to crash. I'd like to give that a shot with a fly rod.
  3. Don Freeman Freeman

Olympia, WA
    Ratings: +205 / 0

My grand slam was mud shark, rat fish, 3 eyed flounder and a sculpin. But that's Commencement Bay.
  4. SpeySpaz still an authority on nothing

Roy, WA
    Ratings: +13 / 0
    :rofl::rofl::rofl:
  5. Rich Schager You should have been here yesterday...

Harstine Island
    Ratings: +12 / 0
    My odd catch "grand slam" was catching a condom off Bainbridge Island. Didn't fight very much...
  6. Connor H Bobbers n Beadz

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +8 / 0
    O MY GOD!!! That is the greatest catch EVER!!! My dad snagged a bikini top at the yakima last year though!
  7. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,357 / 9
    Personally, I think the condom and the bikini is a good catch, but would have been better if either of the following would have been happening:
    1) Dude was still wearing the condom and you snatched it off him like the pebble from my hand grasshopper.
    2) Filly was taunting and teasing your dad and he showed her one...and she showed both of you a pair.

Rich, how'd you get that body bag off your fly?
  8. Rich Schager You should have been here yesterday...

Harstine Island
    Ratings: +12 / 0
    'Rich, how'd you get that body bag off your fly?'

I was trashing the water to a froth trying to shake it off & the leader snapped. Which was fine with me, because at that point I really didn't care all that much about the fly...
  9. ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Eagle River, Alaska
    Ratings: +112 / 0
    I once caught a huge sea cucumber once, it was discusting, we cut the line
  10. tonemike fish'n glass

Monroe, WA.
    Ratings: +36 / 0
    hey mumbles,
    you're certainly right about florida. i grew up on cape cape canaveral and we used to fish the brackish water (indian river, mosquito lagoon, and hallover canal) all the time with my buddy's dad who was an old florida cracker and top notch commercial fisherman. though we'd usually target something specific, you never knew what you'd catch. i remember one still saturday (the three of us) catching reds (not communists), black drum, speckled trout (which are also drum), snook, and one little sailors choice. it was pretty amazing. as my dad never took me fishing, it really was great that my buddy and his dad would drag me all over the place to fish. we used their gear mostly and fished a lot with bait and lures, but we used his version of seducers and mullet patterns too on heavy fiberglass fly rods. good times.

oh ya, a few months back we were bottom fishing in the sound and my son caught a red irish lord. those sure are weird looking suckers.

-mike

11. Jim Speaker Active Member

Mill Creek, WA
    Ratings: +507 / 0
    Sea cucumbers and sponges... thank for dredging up those memories for me. I'd forgotten about the nastier side of fishing the Sound. Yuckkkkkk!
  12. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,656 / 0
    I once caught a 27 lb white king off Camano Island.
  13. andycarey New Member

Ashford & Olympia, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I caught a 19-lb cabezon off of Port Angeles drift-fishing for blackmouth.
  14. ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Eagle River, Alaska
    Ratings: +112 / 0

holy crap that is weird, a salmon in washington? :thumb::rofl:
  15. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,656 / 0
    It was for Washington as these fish usually end up, up in Canada.
  16. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Ratings: +1,622 / 2
    i guess i'll add more to the "florida" category. on one trip i managed: a shovelhead shark, sting ray, baby goliath grouper, and a catfish along with the normal sea trout, sheepshead, and ladyfish.
  17. Hooker Banned or Parked

WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    what was more amazing is that OMJ was actually out fishing and caught something.

one time up in AK we were fishing halibut and I reeled up and old bicycle. funny thing is, it was just like reeling up a little hali. Same day i did hook a big one, well over 200 that we cut the line on because we didnt want to have to deal with it in the small boat.
  18. rotato Active Member

home,wa
    Ratings: +66 / 0
    caught this bad boy in october

Attached Files:

19. SpeySpaz still an authority on nothing

Roy, WA
    Ratings: +13 / 0
    Commercials make weird catches too-
    we caught parts of a whale skeleton in the trawl once in the Bering Sea, a great white shark, and an 80 lb King. not on the same day...
    The whale vertebrae were the size of ottomans, man. two foot around and probably 18" high.
    Ribs were 18' long. Man that thing stank.
    Lots of weird stuff on the bottom of the ocean.
  20. Thomas Mitchell Active Member

Western, WA
    Ratings: +188 / 2
    Fishing with baited jigs in in southern Japan, I pulled up a sea snake. We cut the line on that one...

Caught all kinds of crazy stuff over there, most of which got eaten. If it was too weird to serve as a dish on it's own, it was invariably chopped into pieces and put into soup, eyeballs and all...