Offer up a tip-

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by tahuyamg, Jun 23, 2008.

1. David Loy Senior Moment

Wolf Bay
    Ratings: +318 / 2
    Never trust a fart in waders.
    One here comes to mind.
  2. Mingo the Menehune stole my beer

Happy Hour, WA
    Ratings: +373 / 1
    If your buddy offers to drive once, you offer to drive the next time. Trade off each trip. Don't expect a free shuttle service every time, don't use lame ass excuses like "your car is better than mine so you drive" or "I just washed my car and I don't want it to get dirty".

If you are invited out to fish on a friend's boat, bring some gas money and good beer or you might not get invited back. Charm only gets you so far.

If you show up with your gear completely unassembled, don't expect me to stand there and entertain you for 30 minutes while you uncork your rod tubes, look for your reel, curse your leaky waders and mumble about not having any tippet ;)

Don't bark at me to bring you a fly when I'm 300 yards downstream. If you want one of mine, you're welcome to it, so come and get it. I'm not your fucking personal fly sherpa ;)

Don't tag along with a bunch of people for a post-fishing beer and pizza feed, then eat and drink like you're going to the electric chair and try to scoot out without paying. Don't say you "forgot your wallet" ;)

Don't borrow one of my rods, smack the rod tip against a rock so it breaks off 4 inches from the top, leave the rod strung up then quietly reel in and set it aside for me to discover two weeks later on a searun cutt trip. Not cool. If you break my shit, tell me about it ;)

A thin girl with big boobs is far more entertaining than a fat girl with small boobs, and will have a much better disposition.
  3. flybill Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!

:rofl: Jimbo, flyfishing only costs as much as you want it too! You know that! Buy what you can afford and get the hell out there! Then buy some more!

Shocking!

I don't know, a few get reeled in once in a while.. right Jason B! :clown:

Flyfishing, the most fun you can have with your clothes on!

iagree Words to live by here! Add four more and call it the 10 commandments of fishing with your buddy!

I've got the cigars and will bring the beer and scotch! Let's fish Mingo! I'll be be back in town after the 4th.. more like the 10th or so and need to chase some steel once I recover! :beer1:
  4. Smooth Guest

Ratings: +0 / 0
    I think the tip Mingo is trying to tell us is:

Don't go fishing with anyone who is lame (figuratively speaking, not literally).

Jeez Mingo...can you tell us who the lame-o is? or is this more than one person's work?
    Public humiliation sometimes works.
    It sounds like you have been fishing with every skater in the phonebook...bummer.

One more:
    Don't get your buddy to take some days of work off, for a fishing trip, and then cancel with a lame ass excuse like "I'll make big points with my wife if I paint the bathroom instead"
  5. Coach Duff Banned or Parked

Kailua Hawaii
    Ratings: +6 / 0
    "Where ever you go, there you are."

1. As tempting as it is, don't fall into the large club of characters who lie their ass off about how many steelhead they catch on the fly. Nobody has ever walked into a club and walked out with the rock star girl because they can hook and land steelhead on a fly. You will be found out, even if you think you're fooling everyone.
    2. With that, never take yourself or this sport too serious. (Especially if you think floating a worm (chronomid) below a bobber ("strike indicator"- hell I've used them, but they're damn bobbers) all day constitutes some sort of technical aspect of our sport.)
    3. Believe in soft hackles!
    4. Men who walk around all day saying "(Well-Known flyfisherman) is my personal friend" to whoever will listen to give themselves some sort of twisted credibility are really the creepiest groupies in the groupie world.
    5. As soon as you confidently feel that you have "figured things out" in any type of flyfishing, you really just set yourself up to have your ass kicked, skunked and perplexed your next time out!:D
    6. As convincing as they can be, full time fly shop employees are salesman. Much like car salesman, boat salesman and vacuum salesmen. The "secret" spot they give you is the secret spot of the week and if you are lucky you just may run into the 77 other guys and gals they gave the secret spot to on the same day. Hopefully there is still room to backcast!
    7. Some of the best guides in the world are average flyfisherman. But teaching, coaching and doing can be different things, and don't always go hand in hand. And it goes the other way around. Some of the greatest fly-people in the world are shitty teachers and guides.
    8. Nobody makes a crummy rod anymore. There IS a good flyrod for every price range, casting style and species known to man nowadays. You just have to take the time to find that rod!
    9. If you are willing to walk a half a mile or more you will catch far more fish.
    10. Don't ever be ignorant and pompous enough to sneer and roll your eyes when you say the words "gear chucker", "bait slinger" and "plug puller" What that really says is that you believe that you are somehow superior to another human being and really you are a prick. Remember in every gear fisherman is a flyfisherman - conservationist - gentleman/woman screaming to get out. It's our job to help them get there.
    10. Catch and release is not a mandatory pre-requisite for every body of water known to man. It is a viable conservation tool but not a higher conscious or a mark of superiority. And it also has turned certain big fish waters from 6 weight waters to 3 and 4 weight waters in a couple of years. With that, it has also made average fisheries good and great ones.
    11. You can still catch steelhead on a one-hander. I know, it's hard to believe, but we used to do it all the time.
    12. Lastly, most flies that look incredible from your point of view look fake as hell to our beloved fish from their point of view. They are flies made to catch fisherman, not fish. The Wooley bugger, Carey's Special, Elk Hair Caddis, Clouser, Crease Fly, Bonefish Charlie (the list is endless) have worked like magic for a million species for a million years for a reason. Notice the genius in the simplicity of these patters. Always tie, buy and look at the fly as the fish does.
    13. Big bonefish (over 10 pounds) are worth the headaches and frustration.
    14. Length and girth formulas are never 100% correct, especially for steelhead. Hundreds maybe even thousands of "20 pounders" were really 17-19.
    15. Mingo has got this shit figured out.
    16. Learn more knots than the blood and clinch. Learn how to tie a nail knot without the tool.
    17. Fish never actually run as far as we think they did.
    18. Big fish like big flies and eat big things when it is presented to them. (Even though every one of us constantly refers back to the time that the 23 inch brown under the bridge took a size 22 something or other.)
    19. You can spend a whole lifetime fishing only a floating line and catch just about anything. (Even though I am a confessed sink tip junkie.)
    20. When in a state of confusion ask yourself "What would Lefty do?" He's our sport's ambassador for a reason.
    21. Unless you are somewhat proficient Fly-tying does not save as much money as you think it will. (Or not half as much as you told your wife it will save!:D) But please learn how to tie your own flies. It's is full of rewards and good times!
    22. Salmo is the best poster on this site.
    23. Very few people can actually tell you what soft, medium and fast (ultra fast also) mean, even though they are "fast action" or love only "ultra fast" rods.
    24. Guys that write fly-fishing books bullshit us also sometimes.
    25. Try to make as few mends as possible and fish the fly.
    26. Fly rods don't cast fly-lines, people do. With that remember that alot of the "must have" technology in fly rods needs a strong, proficient fly caster to be "awakened" and or utilized.
    27. The more seams on waders, the more places they can leak. (Even though they look trick.)
    28. Wearing stream cleats can make your day much more enjoyable in some drainages.
    29. Alot of those "small rainbows" are steelhead smolts.
    30. Mike Kinney is a true master of this thing we call steelheading. Grumpy as hell, but a true master.:D

Lastly, hatchery steelhead were dumped into the river for you to smoke in your Little Chief or to feed your cat, not to destroy the wild steelhead gene pool.

Tight lines Coach Duff
  6. Jim Speaker Active Member

Mill Creek, WA
    Ratings: +507 / 0
    I like to squint a bit after I've tied a fly to get a blurry view of it as if I'm a fish several feet from the fly. How's the silhouette/proportions? Does it really look like a bug? Do I want to eat it? Did I take thinking like a fish a little too far with that last question? :hmmm:
  7. Coach Duff Banned or Parked

Kailua Hawaii
    Ratings: +6 / 0
    That is just the mark of a good, smart fly-fisherman. Tight lines Coach Duff
  8. Todd Ripley New Member

Seattle, Washington
    True that, Kerry...but those are definitely not the kind of fish you want to put on the BBQ!
  9. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,615 / 0
    Ron,

In your case fishing is the one best thing on earth. Apparently you don't need to complicate your life any more than that. Those of us with two best things suffer because we so often have to make choices, unless combined as Pan advises.

Sg
  10. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,355 / 9
    Mingo - funny as hell, but I can feel the accuracy
    Coach - good set of rules even though they went on long after "lastly" and I like reading SalmoG's posts too.

I can tie a nail knot with my fingertips, with my fingertips, with my fingertips (and I just bought a nail knot tool the other day...and it is pretty slick too!)
  11. Big Tuna Member

Wenatchee, Washington
    Ratings: +39 / 0
    Lots of fly fishermen read John Gierach and become wannabe homespun philosophers:clown:
  12. snarlac Member

Sacramento, CA
    Ratings: +5 / 0
    1. adding a 1/32 oz. conical sliding worm weight to the line above a fly that isn't sinking fast enough will make it sink faster and will turn over easier than pinched lead.

2. make a list 4 weeks before a major fishing trip. then make a blank list called "things I forgot to put on my fishing trip list, and keep that and a pencil with you for the next 2 weeks at all times. As you remember things you forgot, add them to the list.
  13. Denny Active Member

Seattle, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +45 / 0
    Damn, dude, how many brews did it take to get this list put together! You can tell it took a while (you started #12 with "Lastly", then had 18 more points after that! Attaboy!). Holy mackerel, truly a great list and some tremendous insight.

I really like #7 and #10. #15 is bullshit, though (I'm kidding!). :thumb:
  14. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Coach, there are two #10's in your list. I like them both.
  15. flybill Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!

No kidding! Nice list Coach! #30 is the truth.. and the rest are spot on! I think we can close this thread now.. game over! Coach 30.. WFF 14! :thumb:
  16. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    I like both of these, but I'm already behind for my upcoming MT trip. It is really not a fishing trip but a wedding trip...but I'm fishing! T-6 days to departure...I better get cracking on that list.
  17. Denny Active Member

Seattle, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +45 / 0
    Here's a dirty dozen (baker's dozen) that are hopefully little different than what has already been shared.

1) Clean your fly lines! The line will float higher, will be less clingy (if that's a word), will cast further, and will last longer. In short, it will just perform better all-around. A clean fly line is a happy fly line, which makes for a happy angler.

2) Sharp hooks, sharp hooks, sharp hooks! Keep a hook sharpener, particularly for larger freshwater and saltwater, handy at all times. I actually have two on my fishing lanyard.

3) When tying, use the best hooks you can afford. It's your point (pun intended) connection to the fish. I have a lot of cheap hooks that I don't use and won't likely use since I've learned the value of using good hooks. Sure, that box of 100 Tiemco or Daiichi hooks might cost twice that of a lesser quaiity hook, but that 100 hooks are going to last a long time. Gamakatsu (for salt) rocks!

4) Take casting lessons, they're relatively cheap and well worth the money, but don't take them from just anyone. As Coach noted, some great fly fishers are crummy coaches. The Federation of Fly Fishers has a fairly rigorous program for certifying casting instructors with the emphasis on knowledge and ability to teach and share that knowledge. When reading 'how to' articles on bonefishing or tarpon fishing or something similar, note how many advice getting your casting down before going on your trip.

5) To add to 4), learn at least how to single haul. Double hauling will take you to another level, but if you can get your stroke down and are awesome at single hauling, you'll do quite well and better than many folks who are 'kinda' doublehauling.

6) As Coach noted, learn how to tie. Even if you just get a beginner kit, try it. Naw, it ain't about saving money. What it does, though, it teaches you to be more observant about the details of flies and the 'why' of their construction and use materials. It, in turn, will help you be more observant about the 'whys' of that which you are imitating, whether it be a #20 blue wing olive or a 2/0 sardine pattern.

7) Treat yourself to a guided trip once in a while on new waters and split the cost with a buddy. You'll likely learn some new techniques and gain some knowledge about products, how-to, and the water itself, and you'll get to spend some quality time with your friend doing what you love to do.

8) If you're serious about this sport, buy the best equipment you can, and get the crying over with once. Buy it right, buy it once. For example, when I first planned to start tying, my wife bought me a Regal Bronze Pedestal, and I had her return it because I felt I didn't deserve it (beginner), it was expensive for our budget then, and I thought I could get by with a Thompson vise. Within a year I bought the Regal. Her lesson ("I told you so"): the difference in price between the two was maybe $125, and she wisely noted that it was not that much money to get exactly what I wanted and not to compromise as I would have that vise for a lot of years and run a lot of hooks through it. Summarizing, if you plan to be doing this for a while and are serious about it, buy the best you can. Stretch.

9) Let your family members help you acquire 'stuff'. My wife puts a new line cleaner in my stocking every year. When my mother-in-law asks for tips for gifts for me for Christmas, I make sure the list has a new line, a net, jacket, or some other goodies on it, ranging from big to small. A couple fishing buddies have been extremely generous, with one recently giving me a $50 gift certificate to Kaufmann's for my birthday. Thanks, Brian!

10) Cultivate relationships with a local shop. Buy stuff there, be a friend, and you'll be rewarded with information, instruction, and insight on which it is tough to put a value. Those guys eke out a living. For some reason people think they make some good dinero; naw, being the son of a father who had a similar store for years I can attest it's a labor of love, and they're doing it because it's an excuse to pay for their passion (and hopefully the mortage with a little left over to buy that rusted out 1987 Toyota pickup with 350,000 miles).

11) Try something new! One of my best friends, when I met him, only fished the Yakima, Silver Creek, and Big Wood and only used floating lines. He now fishes lakes, the Sound, went to Andros this year, his fished for baby tarpon in the Yucatan, fished Sekiu with me for coho and rockfish, and rarely gets to those waters he used to solely fish. Heck, I think the line he uses 80% of the time now, at least, is an intermediate line. He's been open-minded to trying new things, and his skill set, knowledge, and his universe of fly fishing friends has grown tremendously.

12) Read, read, read! It's a journey, not a destination, and reading can help us create a road map to where we want to go. I just picked up a copy of Les Johnson's new book, and it was exciting to see much of what I have observed and learned all put together in one document as well as some other new perspectives and insights to try. Magazines, books, the net can all provide some valuable (and sometimes worthless, kind of like my list here, right?) information.

13) Don't forget the standby flies, the old tried and true patterns. In our search for the holy grail new hot dog fly, we all tend to forget about certain patterns that just work. Parachute adams, standard adams, elk hair caddis, hare's ear, muddler, clouser, hot orange GP, woolly bugger, pheasant tail, stimulator (basic), renegade, green butted skunk, deceiver, emerging caddis, skykomish sunrise - these patterns are money. The versatile angler should have a good selection of them.

Thanks for letting me ramble! What's that Jim Birkholm says: "Keep your backcast up"!
  18. David Loy Senior Moment

Wolf Bay
    Ratings: +318 / 2
    Excellent list Richard. Every one a valuable nugget.
  19. Tom Johnston Been around a while

Lala land!
    Very good thread, thank Mark Graham who started it. Really good tips.
  20. jcnewbie Member

Kent, Washington
    :thumb:

Yes, well done and thank ya'll.......'cept now I'm afraid to ask anyone to go fishin' wif' me (or me wif' dem)!!bawling:

Oh, even "fools" can get lucky........:rolleyes:

jcnewbie