*Official 2011 pink salmon thread*

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by CLO, Mar 17, 2011.

1. TD

TD Active Member

I like to catch 3 - 5 lbs saltwater fish. It is fun to go out while the weather is warm and catch fish.

2. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

I've been fishing the Pink runs for a number of years. Yes, it brings out a lot of newbies and poachers but it also brings out a lot of people who are serious flyfishers and gear chuckers. If you don't like Pink salmon, so be it. Fish somewhere for trout or bass or steelhead. For myself, I enjoy the outdoors and the solitude, yes solitude, of flyfishing for Pink Salmon. There will always be people fishing, no matter where you go. Just walk a way farther down the beach. There are plenty of fish for anyone and everyone who wants to try their luck. And...they aren't quite as easy to catch and land as everyone says. That tells me that someone is just blowin' smoke. They are wiley, have soft mouths, and give up a good fight, especially on a light rod in salt water. They can tear up equipment easily and frustrate the heck out of you if they stay farther away from the beach and just jump around. Maybe it's different by the time they get to the rivers but I've never fished for them there. Don't knock the pinks. It's a fun fishery and quite frankly a lot better than the silver, chum, and king fishery in recent years.

3. Plecoptera

Plecoptera Active Member

I'll admit they are fun to fish for, but the whole scene is a little much for me. When I do go after them I pick my spots wisely which usually involves a long boat ride or early weekday mornings. I really despise combat fishing though, so to each their own.

The wal mart influenced invasion is largely made up of people who have little to no regard for natural resources, fishing regulations, or etiquette. A side effect is that the wild trout and char populations get hit pretty hard with all the 1/0 barbed hooks and poaching. I think its ironic that the last healthy population of salmon in Washington is treated like its a limitless resource. This same mindset was used with all the other species long ago.

As much as I badmouth the whole thing i really do look forward to the slimey bastards. Just not fond of everything thats associated with it.

4. papafsh

papafsh Piscatorial predilection

Media:
    Home Page:
    I will never forget the fun a bunch of us had fishing for them at PNP several years ago. We had to go around the fence or climb over it to get out there before daylight, the park didn't open until 7AM, and if you waited till then you were SOL! What a blast!, we could see them coming in pods and as they approached we'd cast to them and start stripping....then wham! one after another hook up after hook up all along the beach....so much fun. If you were there before sunrise and casting blind in the dark, it was amazing how many hook ups took place right at your feet in mere inches of water...man those were the days.
    Because we had to park outside the lot, on the road, it wasn't long before john-law, started giving out tickets and after the 2nd year it just never was the same, at least for me.
    All of you guys who were there can vouch for what I'm saying....it was wayyyyy cool.
    Now I live further north and look for them in the MS Stilly, and in the salt right off the mouth, I'm looking forward to 'em this year.
    A pink caught in the salt and properly bled and handled is very good eating, but I won't eat any after they get into fresh water.

LB

BTW: That pink in the picture is the state record and was caught in the Skykomish.

5. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    +1

I just wish there was better enforcement... Or any enforcement for that matter during the pink runs. Never once have I seen any enforcement show up to any of the combat zones (not that I'm at those spots often). I've found a few spots to get away from the crowds and get fish in the salt and rivers. It's nice not standing nut to butt with the "wal mart" crowd.

6. Daryle Holmstrom

Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

Media:
    Hey, I retired from fishing pinks, it feeds the world and Alaska fish and game unlike WA has a handle on the resourse

7. Bob Jones

Bob Jones Still truckless now farther away

Media:
    Last seen in Portland Or. via Tacoma,Puyallup, Wa.
    We sure got alot of laughs watching the battle lines in the dirty brown Puyallup and no one could see the lures, flies, or fish let alone the pockets or sand bars and logs, people dragging rods and nets bigger than they were.It' was quite the sight . I was surprized that I didn't see a lot of fishermen snagged or clubed.

8. Jim Riggins

Jim Riggins Member

I've been tying Steve's pink secret fly for a month now and a few of my own and can't wait for the pinks in August at the Saville House! It's my practice for the Kenai in September

9. stewart dee

stewart dee Guest

I will be out with my new bright pink bead!

10. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

I have actually changed to a copper bead in hopes that the flies will last a little longer. I hate the down time of changing flies when the fish are biting. You'll find me at the beach if you're looking.

11. TD

TD Active Member

I will never forget my partner asking me if I was sure what we were doing was ok as we were ducking through a hole cut in the fence and slipping behind the sign that read, "Trespassers will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law". I didn't know what to say.

Some days we caught fish till our arms got sore and other days we couldn't buy a hook up. This is where I caught my first resident coho. I thought I hook a real fiesty Pink. Boy was I surprised to find a rather small coho when I brought it close and the dim light of my headlamp penetrated the tide water and glittered off its' silvery side.

One morning I caught cutthroat after cutthroat for the first 30 minutes or so. Then all went quiet for a short while until the Pinks came in and surrounded us. I was standing in less than knee deep water and had pinks rolling behind me, to the side, and right off my rod tip. Pretty fun.

I admit to leaving beaches with a little steam coming from my ears when the crowds showed up later in the run. Still those first 2 weeks before the masses caught on were some of the best days fishing I've had. It was great to sit on a log, crack open the thermos, and enjoy a hot cup of java in the early morning sun rays. We'd sit back and watch the park guys do their walk along the beach and the morning dog walkers would come strolling along. They always pretended to be amazed that we already had caught all the fish we wanted for the day.

12. Loren Jensen

Loren Jensen Active Member

sounds like a great time to me. i love going fishing or hunting and being done by an hour or two after daylight. go back into town and it's still dead. go get some breakfast and go on with your day, even returning in the evening for more fun. i love the outdoors. i'm addicted.

13. Bob Balder

Bob Balder Willing to learn anything...

THat is one "Ugly ass fish". Frankly, I don't think much of them in the smoker either. As far as adding to the conservation effort, I don't think so. Sanagging with treble hooks, elbowing you out of the way, leaving garbage behind etc.
    Been there , seen that, no thanks.

14. Go Fish

Go Fish Language, its a virus

Media:
    That has been my
    stinky pinky experience.
    Hoards of mutant law
    breakers with no respect
    for anything. Yuck!

15. Jonathan Tachell

Jonathan Tachell Active Member

Media:
    It's a pretty enjoyable experience fly fishing for pinks in the salt from a boat.

16. constructeur

constructeur Active Member

Media:
    Agreed here, I didn't realize till I went to the dick nite website that it's a world record though! 14 something or other pounds.

Yeah, it's not a piece of badass BBQ silver or killer smoked king, but I think that starting off with something that's not so great and turning it into something awesome is a testament to ones abilities in the kitchen. It's also a great way to try a new smoke, brine, or other recipe, cause' if it doesn't work out it's just a pink.

Personally I dig the foraging thing a bit too, and also think back to years of yore' when we as a society didn't look down our noses at a free piece of protein and that puts it into perspective enough for me.

17. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    I've had no problem turning pinks in to a good meal. I'm especially proud of my famous pink tacos.

18. Jonathan Tachell

Jonathan Tachell Active Member

Media:
    Ha Ha pink tacos! Thats awesome.

19. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    I really made them... a few times. I found it much more humorous than my wife.

20. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Media:
    I'll trade you a pink salmon for one of your beers anyday, and, I haven't even tasted one of your famous brews!