*Official 2011 pink salmon thread*

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by CLO, Mar 17, 2011.

1. constructeur Active Member

Seattle, Wa
    Ratings: +410 / 0
    jwg-

Still getting answers all over the place aren't you? That's because everyone is right..at one time or another. Use the google, read gear guide pages, or gear sites, and you'll find that people catch fish on everything all over the place. When the fish are heading into the sound I've noticed that gear guys will catch fish on these monster 12" long hoochie sucking a buzzbomb trolled behind a flasher set ups, sometimes as deep as 60.' On the other hand you see the fly I posted above, that looks like any 3/4" long pink Euphasid you'd find in Les' book, and that's going to slay too. The key is to have a bit of everything, meaning, weighted/unweighted, small/medium/large, flashy/subdued, and be willing to change up your approach if what you're doing isn't successful. After a couple of trips you'll find something that you personally are confident in, and you'll be able to dial in what you tie from there, and offer up your own line of bullshit when someone posts a question in the future. :0
  2. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Ratings: +1,621 / 2
    I find that pinks, even with their huge numbers, can be some of the most frustratingly picky fish we have. You can and will catch them on just about anything, but being dialed in is the difference between a 3 fish day, and a 30 fish day.... the difference between one breaking away from the pack and the entire pack turning, and piling over each other trying to get at your fly.

It's all in what you want out of the day. I found a way that works great for me, and once I got it dialed in, anything less than 20 was a slow day. Prior to having that figured out, I was bringing in a half dozen or so. Neither is anything to be upset about.
  3. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,357 / 9
    Nice, and vary this by adding some bead chain eyes and some solid barbell eyes. Now your one pattern covers down to 4", down to 12" and down to 24". Vary the line from a floater to a hover intermediate, fast intermediate or faster sinking line and you should find the right combo for where they are. I like the search.
  4. Bob Jones Still truckless now farther away

I went to two places to get epoxey and they were both out I'll have to try another time. I'll just tie somthing else for now, in pink of course. These pictures are from two years ago when my sister and I got such agood laugh at these guys. in one pic you can see the only clear water on the far side what a kick we got. This is the lower Puyallup below the Green bridge on levee.
  5. Jazen New Member

Seattle WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    What time frame should I figure for fishing pinks in the rivers on the Olympic Peninsula?
  6. Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

Olympic Peninsula
    Ratings: +647 / 0
    Generally the Olympic Peninsula rivers do not host runs of Pink Salmon.
  7. Mark Mandell New Member

Port Townsend, WA
    I fish for pinks from a drifting boat along the Whidbey shoreline, sometimes well off the beach. Had much better success after I started using the heaviest nickel-plated brass coneheads (7/16), spray painting them pink, and tying a 2-inch body of hackle-wrapped, pink marabou and flash tail on a tube. I cast this fly with a 9-weight. It gets down quickly and the heavy head gives it a nice nose drop/tail wag on the slack pulse of the retrieve. It catches fish when blindcast. Also works when you see lone jumpers working their way tight along a shoreline. If you see one jumping there are probably 15 more swimming deeper under it. The heavy fly gets down to their level as they sweep by.
  8. Dig Dug New Member

washington
    Is it worth my time to target links south of the narrows? Im in oly and have a boat but would like to avoid running all the way to pt defiance if I can. Does the nisqually or any other deep south cricks see many pinks? Thanks!
  9. Steve Saville Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +312 / 1
    There are no significant Pink runs south of the Narrows. The farthest south river with a run of any size is the Puyallup in Commencement Bay. Don't waste your time. You might pick up a straggler or one that got lost but it is doubtful at best.
  10. Dig Dug New Member

washington
  11. Roger Stephens Active Member

Ratings: +303 / 0
    Dig Dug:

There use to be a small run of pink salmon up the Nisqually River. Don't how many pink salmon have been returning in recent years. However it would probably be pretty futile to fish for them in the Nisqually Delta area.

Pink salmon usually spawn in the lower section of a river. The Nisqually River does have some good pink salmon spawning riffles several miles above tidal influence. The Nisqually and Puyallup Rivers are both glacial feed so maybe the Nisqually River will eventually someday see a rapid increase in pink salmon populations like the Puyallup River has in the recent past.

Roger
  12. Speychucker New Member

Mission B.C. Canada
    Early estimates for the Fraser river in B.C. have the pink run this fall at 30 million fish.
    This is my favorite pattern for pinks once they enter the river.
    [IMG]
  13. Steve Saville Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    That's very close to the fly I fish all the time but I have a maribou tail with the crystal flash and an epoxy body for durability.
  14. dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Near the Fjord
    Ratings: +563 / 0
    Oh heck! Think Coho! Jump on the coho swap. Two to four spots left!
  15. Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

Olympic Peninsula
    Ratings: +647 / 0
    One thing that I love about the Pink Run is that we catch them while we are Sea Run Coastal Cutthroat Trout flyfishing on the beaches. They take just about any trout fly we use here. That is fun on a five or six weight. Quite few people using switch rods now too.
  16. jwg Active Member

West Richland, WA
    Ratings: +104 / 0
    Steve:

In the fly pictures you posted 4/24/2100, and also pictures in the 2009 fly swap, are all the bead head/tapered body/marabou tail flies tied with metal beads? Some are obviously copper, the red and pink beads are not as clear. Painted metal or plastic?

I am wondering if they are all weighted or you fish some weighted and some not.

Bead size?

I have some fluorescent pink thread. do you think fluorescent helps?

thanks for sharing your fly designs and fishing wisdom.

Jay
  17. Steve Saville Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    The fly is in its evolution. I started with a plastic bead and the thread body but the beads had to be drilled out and then filled with epoxy in order to get them around the bend of the hook and then to keep it from splitting once I started the tying process. I started using cooppper and gold beads because I don't have to epoxy them; less mess, quicker tie because I wind up giving a bunch away every summer. Four years ago, I started coating the threads with epoxy because after a hundred or so casts, the threads started to come undone. The fly continues to evolve as I have used maribou and crystal flash as the tail components but have also started using Baitfish Emulator for the tail. It's a synthetic and has the flash built in, hence the quicker tie with the metal bead. I vary the size of the bead from 3/32" to 5/32" and the hook size from 6 to 2. I also vary the hooks depending on what I have at the time but most often use the Gamakatsu SC-15 in size 2 or 4. I've even used Siwash gooks for colder weather so I don't have to fumble around trying to tie it on the tippet. The eye is wider and easier to work with. The fish don't seem to mind. In addition, I've tied it much larger for Alaska fish and in different color combinations. It works for me. The fly is always weighted with the bead and I fish an intermediate sinking line. It's different than you will hear from other guys but everyone has their own way of catching the fish. My smoker is ready to go but it's still two months away before the fish get here unless I want to drive all the way out to Neah Bay and that's unlikely.
  18. ten80 Active Member

Anchorage, AK
    Ratings: +84 / 0
    Try heating the eye of the hook (for straight eye) or bend of the hook (for up/down turn or larger eyed hooks) with a lighter, then the bead will melt/slide over the eye/bend and will stay in place once cooled. Takes 20 seconds and is a lot easier than drilling out the bead.
  19. P.Dieter Just Another Bubba

Seattle.
    Ratings: +141 / 0
    I think I've gone with a different tie every run. I'm more of a fluttery flashy pinkie.
    this year I'm going with tubes for the beach with the thought that I can switch out hooks after banging my backcast on the rocks.
    I put some polar bear on most of my pink flies so that I can pretend they are special fish and warrant special materials.

[IMG]
  20. Brad Niemeyer Old School Member

Woodinville, WA
    Ratings: +42 / 0