*Official 2011 pink salmon thread*

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by CLO, Mar 17, 2011.

1. constructeur Active Member

Seattle, Wa
    Ratings: +410 / 0
    Brad- do you fish that Wiggler off of a sinktip w/ a short bit of tippet or?
  2. Brad Niemeyer Old School Member

Woodinville, WA
    Ratings: +42 / 0
    I guess I'm the wiggler evangelist now....:ray1:

Best practice is 6 foot leader + small black barrel swivel +18" leader to prevent twisting. The wiggler is generally under-appreciated (and unproven for pinks). Bass smash it. The wiggler dives like a plug fished on a sinking line and can be pulled deep ( 8 feet?) before it slowly rises. In a river, no retrieve is really needed if you swing it. It wiggles! It wobbles! Nice distressed minnow action! It's just fun!

View attachment 41952 View attachment 41953

Any spey anglers out there want to test it for me?
  3. stewart dee Guest

Ratings: +0 / 0
    One of the best flies I have seen in a long time. SRC, Bass, Trout, Salmon etc.
  4. bconrad Member

S Rivers
    Ratings: +11 / 0
    I will test that for ya...killer fly, I wonder if I could skate it for steelhead? I bet that thing would flop around like crazy.
  5. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Ratings: +1,622 / 2
    When I get bored of catching pinks every cast at my favorite river location, I'm determined to try to skate one up on a dry.
  6. bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

m-ville
    Ratings: +676 / 0
    send me one I'll test it for you
  7. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1,747 / 0
    You can do it. I went to the Stillaguamish during the pink run and started using an intermidiate sink tip. Problem was there were so many salmon in the river I could not help but floss some of them. I switched to a floater and fished just as I would if waking for steelhead. I would watch for a pod of fish to come up the river and wake a pink woolly buggar over the top of them. There seemed to be at least a couple of aggressive fish in each group moving up river that would attack my fly. I wore my arms out in a couple of hours.
  8. constructeur Active Member

Seattle, Wa
    Ratings: +410 / 0
    [IMG]

'Tied' this one up for the little miss to fish recently. I may have used it once ot twice too :clown:
  9. Brad Niemeyer Old School Member

Woodinville, WA
    Ratings: +42 / 0
    I guess I'm taking orders now? Already 3 request for free "test" flies. I'll get busy, since I'm sure that would build up my good karma account.

Anyone got a size or hook preference for the pink version of the wiggler?
  10. TheHunt Member

Puyallup
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    That Pink version of the wiggler is fantastic.
  11. Flyfishing Dad displaced Alaskan

Chehalis, WA
    Ratings: +16 / 0
    So I'll dive in and admit I'm a crazy newbie wanting to catch the slimy mushy salmon belittled in this thread, but having fished the pinks in Alaska when living there for many years I know the fun they can still be on a flyrod. If you don't mind, all that being said, where can a newbie with some experience flyfishing humps go to avoid the other 200 treble-hook casting people mentioned? I live near Olympia, so want some suggestions where I might try for the pink runs nearby. Any help is welcome.
  12. Steve Saville Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +312 / 1
    You probably won't see many there. The Nisqually has a small run but other than that, the Puyallup is the furthest south river with a Pink run.