Oh say can you spey?

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Ed Call, Jul 31, 2008.

1. C-hawk

C-hawk New Member

Help! (Off topic.)

I am visiting the P-Sound area for three more weeks. I have registered on this website and would like to post. I can't seem to figure out how to make a new post. FAQ page said to click the "New Posts" button. Problem is I can't see that button on the forum screens.

C-hawk

2. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    NEW QUESTION: To get started using this 8/9 spey I need a line. How can I get a very basic line for learning at a very entry level price? I do have a single handed line in 8, 9, and 10 with interchangable tips. Could I modify that by adding a level running line behind that fly line to add some extra length? I don't intend for this to be the way I fish it, but just to get me started. I do have a level running line that I took off an old 8wt bass taper line that had damage to the tip end. I have an 10/11 reel that my local fly shop said would do to get started. I just did not want to buy a spey head system with a level line right out of the shop until I had a chance to get more information. If anyone has the TFO Deer Creek 8/9 13'6" or something pretty similar, what are you running, and would my idea of using the shorter single handed setup with the added running line benefit me to get up and rolling? Thanks.

3. Abel1

Abel1 New Member

Yes mumbles, you are on the right track. Keep it simple, Or spend lots and lots of money to put yourself picture perfect. Just pm me when you are ready to sell!

Good luck.

4. Ed Call

Media:
    Simple I hope it will be. Pretty it will not be. I've heard there is something mystical about two handed casting. I've been told it can be extremely relaxing just to cast. I live a block from the beach and will likely go there just to put some line in the air and try not to knock myself out or run a hook through me to see how this works.

If it does not suit me, I'll use that long ass pole as a new fangled version of an old fangled cane pole and teach them how to fish for crappie or sunfish or something.

5. miyawaki

miyawaki Active Member

Hey Mumbles,

If you come to the shop this Saturday (see Events threads or your shrimp thread), we can also introduce you to the Rio AFS heads, Orvis .029 running line and Rio Versileaders. I use this setup for both winter and summer. Come check it out.

Leland.

6. Ed Call

Media:
    Thanks for the info and invite in both thread locations Leland. I'll see what I can do about blocking off some time to get there. I hope to see you soon.

7. Abel1

Abel1 New Member

mumbles, there is nothing mystical or relaxing in fishing with a spey rod! It is a tool to catch fish... pm me when you are ready to sell.

Good luck.

8. Ed Call

Media:
    Will do. Don't hold your breath though. You won't asphyxiate, you'll just pass out and start breathing normally again. You've got me excited though...I may have to go practice my night casting in the yard right now. Thanks for the energy boost and direction!:thumb:

9. Abel1

Abel1 New Member

mumbles? just breath! inhale? and now exhale!... see dont you feel just better....

10. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

Media:
    Come on, dude. :rolleyes:

Certainly more mystical and relaxing than fishing for steelhead on 9.5ft 8wt all day.

11. Abel1

Abel1 New Member

Pan, Fishing is fishing? One hand or two! It's all about fishing man. Keep it real. that is all I'm saying...

12. Abel1

Abel1 New Member

If all I need is a 9.5ft. 8wt. yah maybe I should pull out the old girl. She's a 896sp!
    I bet she has'nt foregottin how to fish? I better practice and maybe talk with the local shop, so as I know what to do....

13. Ed Call

Media:
    Abel1, or is it Mabel? You still talking? All I'm trying to do is pass the time and keep on learning. A little relaxation is always good. You should try it.

Just casted a glow ball out in the yard for about an hour. Very relaxing! No fish, but still relaxing.

14. SPEYBUM

SPEYBUM Member

Home Page:
    Mumbles,
    I have a lot of lines on the TryRack.
    I try to keep the most popular lines reel up so all you have to do is come out and try them.
    Or Take Leland up on his offer.
    Strike now before things get hot on these rivers.
    Come see me on Saturday on the River I will give you some pointers.
    :cool:

15. Kevin Giusti

Kevin Giusti New Member

Hey Mumbles. There are MANY types of spey lines now available. Scandi, skagit, short,mid and long bellies. A number of manufacturers now make lots of great spey lines in each type of category. I havent cast your rod but you will notice a grain window written on it. I believe yours is 550-800 grains. This will give you a ballpark of what you should be looking at, but again it depends on the individual. If you do a search in the spey section on this site or one on speypages for "deer creek" it should bring up a lot of info for you. Bob Meiser recently had a post "so what is a grain window" or something to that effect on speypages that is a must read.
    And as everyone has already said. take a weekend and make a point to go to the gathering that Mike Kinney attends weekly. After all he helped design the rod and Im sure he can steer you in the right direction on lines! Or better yet drop the coin on some one on one instruction with him. Not only is getting a proper rod/line combo that YOU are happy with important when beginning but getting proper instruction on how to use it correctly(especially from Mike Kinney!) is a wise investment that will save you alot of frustration,greatly acclerate your learning curve and in the long run will also save you LOTS OF MONEY ON LINES,RODS REELS MORE LINES MORE RODS ETC>>>>......
    Best of luck Mumbles . Oh yeah and that last part about MORE RODS MORE LINES ETC> well thats probably gonna happen anyway! Dont say I didnt warn you! Kevin

16. Ed Call

Media:
    I'm just overwhelmed at all the great tips, suggestions, links, info and overall responses. Time to find that perfect camp site for the family that lets me hit Carnation on Saturday and Monroe on Sunday. Once I have the spey rod in hand I'll do just that so I can try to get started. No offense if as I'm learning that I move WAY AWAY from any other anglers so as not to make their first impression of Mubles one of a hook point or embeded barb. I'm not looking to do any damage, just trying to expand my knowledge base. Thanks to all again!

17. Bert Kinghorn

Bert Kinghorn Formerly "nextcast"

Media:
    I strongly recomend that while you learn you just use a small piece of yarn instead of a fly, even with if the hook is broken off. Also, get in the habit of wearing eye protection from the very start, including when you are using yarn.

18. Sloan Craven

Sloan Craven Active Member

Media:
    Shaquille O'Neal, Terrell Owens, Karl Malone, Geraldo Rivera, Charles de Gaulle, and Disco Stu would agree.

Seriously though, Mike Kinney will have you fishing with a spey rod in three days.

19. Kirk Singleton

Kirk Singleton Capt Kirk

Home Page:
    If Sat works better - Aarons group is a lot of fun.

20. FT

FT Active Member

Mumbles,

To answer your new question in the most succinct manner possible, you should not take a single hand line and try to modify it for use as a 2-handed spey line. Spey lines weigh a lot more than single-hand lines is the short reason why.

For example, an 8 wt single-hand line weighs about 210 grs at the AFTMA (American Fly Tackle Manufacturers Association, forerunner to the AAFTA) standard at the standard's 30' measuring point. However, according to the AFFTA (American Fly Fishing Tackle Association) a short-belly (55' belly) 8 wt spey line weighs 530 grs. Obviously this is a lot more grains of weight than an 8 wt single-hand line. And a mid-belly (65' belly) 8 wt spey line has a weight standard of 570 grs.

Like I said, the short answer to your question about modifying a single-hand line for use on a spey rod is don't do it unless you want to be very frustrated because it won't load the rod.

If you are fairly experienced in modifying lines and building custom tapers, you could use a single-hand line that is 3 to 5 line sizes higher than the 2-hander is rated for as a starting point and then modify it by adding line to it (i.e. an 11, 12, or 13 wt for the starting point); but since you don't know the kind of casting load you prefer and don't know how to spey cast yet, it could prove to be very expensive before you have a line that works for you through modifying single-hand lines. So, unless you have done a fair amount of line modification or custom line building, you are much better off simply biting the bullet and getting a spey line. It will save you countless headaches and frustration.