Oh say can you spey?

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Ed Call, Jul 31, 2008.

1. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    FT, Thanks for that advice. I tried my 9/10 single handed line in the backyard and found it unable to load the rod just like you said. I figured I'd try that for simplicity first to see if what I have in hand works, you've said it and yesterday I tested it and it did not. I could get out line, but no more than with a short single. I'll be testing some of the spey lines, hopefully this saturday and/or sunday and trying to find one that seems to feel good to me. I'm not into line modification, so getting one that is already made would be best. Thanks again FT, and to everyone else who has been most helpful shining some light on a subject that I know nearly nothing about. This could prove fun in the overall process, even if I find I'm a terrible caster (like with my single handers) but fun regardless

2. Abel1

Abel1 New Member

Name calling, come on now!.. If you mumbles, would rather hear somethng else, than by all means go for it. Nothing that I have posted in this thread is bullshit. Do you want to catch fish? or do you want to practice casting? If you want to cast mystically? then I have know idea what it is you are talking about.

Good luck.

3. constructeur

constructeur Active Member

Media:
    :)

4. Ed Call

Media:
    Just returning some ribbing, don't be so sensitive. After your challenge to just get out it was late and the best I could do was go cast outside. I'm trying to learn two handed just to improve my overall line management skills. Fishing is great, but I've been known to take a lunch break in a park and practice tossing yarn delicately to each tree within reach...Sorry if I hurt your feelings, but the mystical sensation is in many things. Ever hit a golf ball in the sweetspot only to watch it fly perfectly 300+ yards? Every hit a home run so sweet that you didn't even feel the impact of the bat and ball? I've stumbled across a few fly casts that just felt great, and they are few and far between. There is more to fishing than catching fish, catching fish is just a nice benefit.

5. Eric Tarcha

Eric Tarcha gear whore

Media:
    dude, you are full of smart ass comments on every thread you post on, whether it be about steelhead or speycasting. instead of insulting, try providing something worth while to the conversation. cheers.

Mumbles, speycasting is fun. you will like it, and it can be a bit mystical when you get it just right. get a proper line setup (try a Rio AFS or maybe even a Skagit head), some instructions and have at it.

6. Ed Call

Media:
    Thanks Eric, I went to see Leland today and got the Rio AFS and Orvis running line setup he personally uses. That will get me up and running and to a point I can learn enough to be able to cast some other lines at one of River Run or All About the Fly river sessions to see what works best for me. Thanks again.

7. Nooksack Mac

Nooksack Mac Active Member

Mumbles,

I was about to suggest that I sell you a new but economy-grade WF11F that I have around for a few bucks. Such a line will get you in the door, and is the line that spey casting was based on for most of the last two centuries. They still work well for moderate distances.

However, the line Leland sold you will probably work fine. As you've noticed, there are a bewildering variety of spey lines available, and getting a good fit for one's rod can be trickier than buying shoes for seven-toed feet. (The most common discussion topic on the great Spey Pages forum is: what line(s) works best on what rod.) Attending the (mostly free) spey gatherings, getting coaching from experienced amateur or pro, trying a variety of spey lines (ask politely; most spey anglers there will let you try theirs) are the way to learn what works. I'd suggest a short-belly or medium-belly line would work best. Long belly lines are for long rods. (That doesn't invalidate double taper lines; if of a suitable weight, they work well on all spey rods, just as they do on single-hand rods.)

If you get through the early stages, get a workable line or two, and GET COMPETENT INSTRUCTION, you're in for a fascinating extention of the fly fishing experience.

8. Ed Call

Media:
    Nooksack Mac (I love saying Nooksack out loud and love the area that river runs through), thanks for the advice. I have been a bit overwhelmed by the "window" and myriad of line options. I'm excited about getting something going. I don't plan to go two handed for real or full time, but I think it may be a great addition to this wonderful passtime. I absolutely plan on getting some time in with veterans on the water and after getting some low skill level then finding the time and funds to get some professional instruction. Thanks!

9. Ian Broadie

Ian Broadie Flyfishing is so "Metal"

Media:
    Home Page:
    You'll love the AFS it's about the easiest line you can learn to cast with. It will definitely tell you when you have too much top hand push instead of bottom hand pull. When (not if but when) you decide to try a different line your rod casts very nicely with the Airflo Delta Multi Tip.

Remember the entire cast starts with the lift of the rod make a mistake there and it will translate through the entire cast.

10. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

Media:
    Fishing is not fishing; it's far more complicated than that, nor is fishing a single hander equal to using a two hander when applicable. Quit trying to be cool and be straight up. Why do you use a two hander if all things are equal?.... because it's cool? :confused:

11. HauntedByWaters

HauntedByWaters Active Member

hhhrrrmmmmmm

12. Steven Green

Steven Green Hood Canal Pirate

Media:
    :rofl: That picture is great. . .

13. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

Media:
    Jason, back to the closet.

14. SpeySpaz

SpeySpaz still an authority on nothing

Media:
    all pissing matches aside, Mumbles, take Aaron's advice and go play by the Snoqualmie some morning. That's an opportunity not to be missed in more ways than one...try rack, coaching, and casting greats all gathered together by a river.
    Damn, now I'm thinking I better get back up there for some polishing and line shopping!
    Bob