"OK, was a Bonus" Skagit / Sauk River Report....now would like to hear a response

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by JohnnyCoho, Feb 19, 2004.

1. I know its been awhile here for ya guys, but here's another report for ya. Been busier than snot the past month or so but will try and shoot some more reports to ya here soon.

Skagit River:
    River Conditions:
    Skagit above the Sauk has unlimited visibility right now. Skagit below the Sauk down to Concrete has 4-6 feet of visibility. Skagit below Concrete; Depends on dam releases from the Baker.

UP-RIVER RAMP UPDATE:
    - Fabers Ferry Landing: repared now and in great shape for all boats.
    - Rockport Ramps: South Side is still un-usable. North Side ramp at Howard Miller Steelhead Park is usable and your best bet for a sled.
    - Swift Creek Ramp: A drift boat only show here! Now a drop off into the river where a sled trailer would bottom out bad.
    - Marblemount Ramp: Ramp is once again usable and by far the best up-river launch for a drift boat...Is launchable for smaller sleds but not really a larger sled friendly launch due to the shallowness of the water in front of the ramp.

Fishing:
    These recent little freshets of rain the past few days has brought some fish into the river; a mix of Wild and recycled hatchery steelhead right now along with some really nice sized Dollie Varden.

Sauk River:
    River Conditions:
    Sauk above the Suiattle has 2-4 feet of visibility; Sauk below the Suiattle has 1-2 feet of visibility.
    SAUK RIVER CONDITIONS SINCE THE WINTER FLOODS:
    - Upper Stretch from Darrington to Suiattle; a whole new river, most of the once good holes are now silted in,
    river braids all over the place, leaving a few boat drag situations. A few sweeper situations if ya choose the wrong braid
    - Middle Stretch from Suiattle to Govt Bridge; Not a ton of change here, still a lot more silt than normal though with plenty of new exposed gravel bars. A few tricky spots when the water is lower.
    - Lower Stretch from Govt Bridge to mouth; Major changes here!! Gauge hole is pretty much no more, but east side of the river actually looks a lot better. Tons of silt down on lower stretch; boils up from bottom all over the place. Lots of new exposed boulder gardens here and a few braids that can be really nasty if ya chose the wrong one. Lots of wood too.
    Fishing:
    The occasional Wild Steelhead along with a few Dollie Varden.

John's Guide Service
    http://www.johns-guide-service.com

2. Skagit / Sauk River Report

OK,...Bonus report here for you guys!! (I'm in a good mood)
    Want to catch a Steelie on a fly up here on the Skagit system,.. here are yer 3 best bets right now for hooking up from the bank; (actually yer best bet is to book a good guide. I personally am booked solid through the end of March but I can certainly point any interested parties in the right direction of a few other guides that I'd personally highly recomend)
    1.Skagit off the mouth of Grandy Creek in Birdsview. Ya have to watch flow release from the Baker right now though and hit it when flows are shut off. Also, closes March 1st down here so Ya only have one more week to fish it.
    2.Skagit off the mouth of Jackman Creek above Concrete. Just make sure yer not tresspassing getting in there.
    3. Skagit South Side Fabers Ferry Landing boat launch. Killer fly bar just above the ramp.

Lots of luck guys!! Have a good one

John's Guide Service

3. Skagit / Sauk River Report

Thank you, oh, thank you, Johnny. I can't express how helpful it is to have a fresh report/evaluation like this ahead of my next dash up Hwy. 20.:p

4. Skagit / Sauk River Report

Todays clients couldn't make their trip due to the flu, so it gives me a day here at home to do some catching up; which brings me to the following;

I've received two rather discouraging e-mails since last nights report I posted here for you guys, and now am going to post on them and look forward to hearing some honest responses.

Both e-mails generally stated that I was a bait and gear guide ruining certain spots for guys that have already done their homework, finding the spots I've mentioned above on their own & that I was just posting reports to book trips. Ect, Ect.

OK,..here's my response;
    First I may not post to much in here but really enjoy the site's informative nature and sometimes humor. As a guide I do like to stay in touch with whats going on and what anglers think; Thanks Chris for the great site.
    Second I was asked by a few to post in here when I can, reports on the Sauk and Skagit as I do fish them just about every day. Doin' this for you guys not me.
    Third the Gear and bait issue, true a good 80 + % of my trips are gear fishing trips, but that also gives me a huge advantage as it does other guides that fish both fly and gear. A fish will take more aggressively to bait than a fly so we do know where they are holding and at what depth they will generally be holding the next day we go out with a fly. General aggressiveness at the time towards bait will also dictate what flies I use on a certain day. I am not saying the guides that fly fish only dont have an advantage over us in that thats all they do, many of them do (especially in ther latest gear and techiniques dept) and I'd highly recomend most.
    Fourth, the just tryng to book trips thing. Sorry guys, Business is good, like I said in the post I made last night I am already booked pretty solid here through the end of March, and like I also stated I would be more than willing to recomend a guide for anyone interested in a trip and do so quite often. For those that know me and for those that have fished with me or around me, I'm sure they'd back me on this.
    Lastly, (sorry so long winded on this guys) The giving good bank access spots away for guys not doing their homework and learning them on their own, hehehe The way I look at it, guys in here are doin' their homework just by reading the posts. Good luck to all!!!

Interested in hearing some repsonses to this and if I should continue reports for you guys when I can or not.

Thanks Guys!

PS, Thanks for the post Nooksack Mac

John's Guide Service

5. Skagit / Sauk River Report

Good reports John. Those spots you mention are in most any magazine or book about the Skagit. Anyone who thinks they are secret is kidding themselves. Looks like C&R season will be a go on the Skag this year?

6. Skagit / Sauk River Report

Keep the reports coming in when time allows you to. Number 1 and 3 of the places do not look like they would be any type of secrete spot that anyone with a good map could not find looking a little on their own, from their descriptions. Boat launches and river outlets are easy to find on a map and at least for me, are always easy places to start a search on any river that I do not know. Number 2 might be to someone a secrete spot but what do I know. I dot fish those rivers much myself. I always figure if its not at least a 15 minute hike in to. Its most likely not that secrete of a place. The only exeption might be some of the true mountain forest road places.
    As for guiding gear Steelhead fishermen there is nothing wrong with that at all. I do not know you other then from this board but I hope since you are on this board you are the type of guide who works with your customers on proper release and other good ethics no matter if they are using gear or fly. You are in a great possition to help train people new to the sport of fishing with its many forms much more often then most of us do. Most of us on this board only work with new fishermen once in a while. As a guide I am sure you work with new fishermen quite a bit more. Your working with those that you are guiding teaching them to respect the fish and the rivers they are in would help in all of our battle to save the fish which we all enjoy and a few lucky ones such as yourself make a living from.

7. Skagit / Sauk River Report

John,
    Keep em coming. As Nailknot stated, those are hardly secret spots, they were even listed on ESPN.com a couple years back. I check your webpage at least a couple of times a week...doesn't matter whether you're fishing gear or not, if you are hooking 5 steelhead a day, I know it's a good time to get down on the river. As hikepat said, hope you are teaching anglers good C&R methods and I hope you are releasing all those beautiful bull trout/ dollies.

BTW...I was sorry to hear about your father, glad to see you're back out on the water.

Pete

8. Skagit / Sauk River Report

John,

Thanks for your reports. It says something when a gear guy will give away more info than some of the fly guys here. Those are not zipper lips by any stretch of the imagination anyway. I think when a guy finds his secret spot and then has it published on an open forum, it is an incredible blow to their ego and the first thing they do is lash out at Joe Snuffy nice guy. Never mind the fact that the trail they went down was stomped on by thousands of fishermen over the years. If you want a zipper lip, you better buy the land and fence it off otherwise most of us here on this site have already bought the T-shirt and the frickin' charm bracelet for your secret hole. Gear guy or not, I'd Spey cast off your drift boat anytime. If you have the nads to post about what you do on a fly site, then you have the nads to fish with me.

Matt Burke

9. Skagit / Sauk River Report

:beer2

Too many whiners out there :bawling

If it were my 'secret spot', I may send a note to the poster, and explain why I feel the spot is special and hope that person gives my thoughts some respect and maybe doesn't post about that spot going forward. But maybe not. But the "FU" attitude will backfire EVERY TIME. The last thing you want to do is get a post like this going on and on about about your "secret" spot.

"Heck, must be worth checking out if some guy is going to make such a fuss over it..."

Way more 'damage' than if you just kept quiet and hoped for the best, or just send a friendly note....

10. Skagit / Sauk River Report

Thanks guys!! Good to hear so far. Glad the reports are appreciated. Yes, I do practice and teach C&R principals and only use a C&R net when landing fish. If ya notice the fish pics I post you'll usually see the handle of the C&R net alwasy in view on most pics. Fish stays in the net till pic is ready to be snapped, then I will hold it up for the quick photo, then back into the water it goes. Certainly gonna be dif come April 1st, but I'll adjust and am all for it. Its actually the same rule on the river I guide in AK. As for Dollies, I love em' as most that know me can tell ya, they're the Skagit systems saving grace and can turn any slow mediocre day of fishing into a trip of a lifetime.

NailKnot, yer boat is gettin awefully lonely sittin in my yard. Think ya need to take me out in it!!! hehehe

John's Guide Service

11. Skagit / Sauk River Report

Thanks guys!! Good to hear so far. Glad the reports are appreciated. Yes, I do practice and teach C&R principals and only use a C&R net when landing fish. If ya notice the fish pics I post you'll usually see the handle of the C&R net alwasy in view on most pics. Fish stays in the net till pic is ready to be snapped, then I will hold it up for the quick photo, then back into the water it goes. Certainly gonna be dif come April 1st, but I'll adjust and am all for it. Its actually the same rule on the river I guide in AK. As for Dollies, I love em' as most that know me can tell ya, they're the Skagit systems saving grace and can turn any slow mediocre day of fishing into a trip of a lifetime.

Nailknot, yer boat is gettin awefully lonely sittin in
    my yard. Think ya need to take me out in it!!! hehehe

Pete, thanks about my Dad

PS. Two Recylced Hatchery Steelhead were caught and released a few days ago off the Howard Miller Steelhead Park bar there on the fly. Congrats to the guy who caught them! I know they were his first two ever steelhead on the fly from talking to him.

John's Guide Service

12. Skagit / Sauk River Report

>Nailknot, yer boat is gettin awefully lonely sittin in
    my yard. Think ya need to take me out in it!!! hehehe

Don't rub it in! I figured you would have sold it off by now ;) I'll shoot you an email.

13. Skagit / Sauk River Report

Most of the whining comes from people who have not been fishing long. Let it go in one ear and out the other. Fishing is fishing. Who cares if your using bait/fly. In the end the fish gets tired out from a hook in its mouth. Anyone thinking that by flyfishing they are doing the fish a favor, needs a reality check. Its the pursuit of the fish that matters.(As long as its legal of course)
    Whatever floats your boat! One man may throw a spoon, one may throw an egg sucking leach. Both have their challenges.

As for posting spots those particular spots, again new fisherman. There have been so many articles on the Skagit and places to fish on the Skagit. Your post is nothing in comparison. Besides, the Skagit is a pretty stinkin large river. Lots of places to go.

Keep up the good reports! Dont let the BS get to you.

T

14. Skagit / Sauk River Report

I enjoy your reports and if You don't post because you are busy I just go to your web site and look for info there. And another thing I don't think there is any secret water on the Skagit as it is one well fished river. Besides I just love to beat people as to giving a way fishing sites. And I know of a few.

Jim

15. Skagit / Sauk River Report

Keep the reports coming. I will read them everytime.

Kevin

16. Skagit / Sauk River Report

Hey Jim,

If I remember right didn't you catch a little grief about a year and a half back for talking about a spot or two? I think I do recall that.

Anyway as far as anyone who is able to make a living on the water I salute that person. Making a living is what John is doing. Gear guys help pay the bills for him.

Plus if we are ever going to educate beyond our own little community C&R, we need guides like John here educating new fishermen, both gear slingers and fly types how to release fish. Sounds like you are doing a great job of it and I say way to go.

I worked over a nice stretch of extemely low and clear water with a gear guy today. I was upset to see him way up river but we got along fine. I thought I was doing a better job of presenting color to fish than he was. Oh well neither of us hooked anything.

Mark

17. Skagit / Sauk River Report

John is 100% real deal and we could only wish we had more people like him both as fishermen and in the community. Earlier post hit the nail on the head about newbies- those spots are known and should be fished. The Skagit is the 3rd largest river on the west coast! Plenty of other spots for those who spend the time to seek them out. Those newbies will be happy to see John when he hauls their drowning butt out of the water as Skagit S&R. And he's no slouch on the bug rod despite his modesty (I know for a fact he even has secret flies :) Thanks Johnny and keep em comin man.

--------
    Be the ball Danny
    http://www.carlspackler.com/sounds/012.wav

18. Skagit / Sauk River Report

Yeah I caught hell when I mentioned Canyon creek. I don't understand some people. That creek has two public fishing sites on it so how could it be a secret place as I have been fishing the place for over 40 years. And have never ran into the same person twice. But now I won't mention which Canyon Creek unless you ply me with drink.LOL.

Jim