Okanogan grouse opener...sad but true...

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by Roper, Sep 6, 2011.

1. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

Media:
    In fact I couldn't buy a grouse for two solid days of hunting. We had a long, cold, rainy spring in Eastern Washington that went well into June and July. It had a definite affect on grouse.

Heading up the mountain behind my property and into the old grown over logging spurs I noticed three strange things. First was the almost waist high grass, unheard of in years past. Next was the total lack of range cattle and the associated cow pies, not that was a bad thing. But lastly was the total lack of any grouse, not a single bird anywhere. I walked every covert I ever found birds in and no luck at all.

Driving back onto association roads I finally spotted three blues, momma and two of this years hatchlings. Problem was they were sitting on a neighbors patio looking down into the valley. The neighbor wasn't home, but I still have a few scruples left, not many, just enough not to shoot them. :clown:

I'm hoping they show up soon or I'll be fishing until quail and pheasant opens up.

Anticipation and expectation can really mess you up when the birds don't co-operate...dang. :hmmm:

2. andrew

andrew Active Member

Media:
    Roper,

I wish I could have at least gotten out! I had the car fueled, packed albeit the guns and dog. All I needed to do was go to sleep, wake up, and drive over to the dryside Thursday. Well somewhere in the midst of sleeping I was poisoned. I woke up Thursday morning with the worst stomach bug that lasted until noon on Sunday. Not only did I miss my two day kitchen pass, but the good weather to pour my concrete deck over a long weekend. SUCKED!

Now I have to do some serious pleaing to get out in the next few weeks before upland opener.

BTW - my buddy that hunts around Wauconda said they got 7 in two days. I had asked if it seemed to be fair, average, or good with regard to any other season...he said 'fairage'

3. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

Media:
    Jeez Andrew, that sucks!

I first started hunting grouse around Wauconda about 30 years ago. It wasn't uncommon to limit out and have to go home or start eating lots of grouse in camp. As they say "those were the good ol' days..."

4. Scott Salzer

Scott Salzer previously micro brew

Roper:

What a disappointment. With no grouses arounds, you could hone your archery skills.

Let me know you plans for your B-day.

MB

5. Brookie_Hunter

Brookie_Hunter aka Dave Hoover

Media:
    I'm not a hunter but now that you mention it, I haven't seen any grouse around our place in the Aeneas Valley this Spring/Summer. A few years ago, I couldn't walk across our field and not flush several out along the way.

6. Vladimir Steblina

Vladimir Steblina Retired Forester...now fishing instead of working

Media:
    Home Page:
    Plenty of grouse around my place. More than most years. The county has posted the entire meadow a no shooting zone. So the dog just gets frustrated pointing the grouse without result.

So I would probably head south of Highway 2 to find grouse.

7. alpinetrout

alpinetrout Banned or Parked

Media:
    I went up to BC and unsuccessfully chased some ptarmigan up a mountain with my dad and brother. Only saw a handful of birds and made a few long misses, but my brother picked up a spruce grouse below treeline on the way back down.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Media:
    Beautiful scenery! Unfortunately, lack of grouse is happening here as well.

9. Brookie_Hunter

Brookie_Hunter aka Dave Hoover

Media:
    Maybe ours move to Wenatchee for the Summer.

10. Vladimir Steblina

Media:
    Home Page:
  11. Flyn'dutchman

Flyn'dutchman Member

Vlad,
    How the heck did the county make the medows a no shooting zone? Progress just sucks. I remember riding my trail 90 all over there when I was a kid growing up down in the head of Brender Canyon. Lots of good times in that area. Used to chase grouse on all the roads around the medows then. Haven't been back for many years.
    Steve

12. Vladimir Steblina

Media:
    Home Page:
    Our neighbor took a 7mm round into the front of his house. That's how you get a no shooting zone.

With the designation of the Natural Area Preserve most of the meadow is now in state ownership. Not sure how compatible hunting is with a Natural Area Preserve. With the pressure these days the meadow area just cannot handle the shooting.

The good news is that some folks in Leavenworth tried a no shooting zone around the Icicle Creek area and that failed. So I am sure we will have the only no shooting zone in Chelan County. I just wish more hunters would act responsibly when hunting. It has been an eye opener. Some hunters have been great understanding the situation while others just have buck fever.

Most of the roads are now closed to motorized access. The Brender Canyon-Camas Creek county road and FS 7200 roads are still open.

You live in Wenatchee and haven't been back to the meadow?? Check it out in May when the flowers are blooming. It is a pretty special spot.

13. ganglyangler

ganglyangler Bird Dogs and Fly Rods

Media:
    Nice scenery there Alpine! I only hunted one afternoon last weekend north of Spokane due to the heat. My lab doesn't seem to notice and I have to be careful she doesn't overheat. I drove into some new area and hunted the shaded side of the mountain. Only hunted about three hours and was dripping sweat. We moved 9 ruffs and got one young bird. Bird was stuffed with salmonberries and all the others were in areas with berries and water as well. I was pretty surprised and pleased to see a few birds in a short time but it may have just been a pocket of them. I really enjoy the first hunt of the year and nothing is as challenging as a ruffed grouse in thick cover (for me at least). I hope the reports of bird numbers improve as it seems from the reports in other areas that it may be tough this year.

14. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Media:
    Isn't it a "no firearms" zone? I could still hunt with the bow? The Icicle crowd probably was led by "dame Harriet"-and I use that as a pejorative. She'd really like to turn the Icicle into her own private fiefdom.

15. Vladimir Steblina

Media:
    Home Page:
    Don't get me started on Harriet. I just call her the "wicked witch from the west".

The rich are different from you and me. Nobody ever tells them that they are full of it. So they always assume they are "special". AND if you don't realize your billions are due to government subsidies.......well, you just might think your "special".

16. Islander

Islander Steve

I didn't see any birds in the Mt. Baker area on the opener either. Even if I don't get a shot I have always seen or flushed several birds from the same area. Maybe it was the long wet winter.

Rick, Let me know when you head east to fish. My schedule is a little up in the air at this point but I plan on getting some eastside lake fishing in before the end of Oct.