Old Bamboo Double Rod

Discussion in 'Bamboo, Fiberglass & Classic Reels' started by Nick Riggs, Apr 19, 2006.

1. Nick Riggs

Nick Riggs I've been known to fish from time to time...

Media:
    I just remembered, literally 20 minutes ago, about an old bamboo fly rod that my dad had in the attic. It is the G.D. wierdest thing I have ever seen:confused:. The handle is one piece, and it has a hole for the rest of the rod, on each side; that way, you can use it as a gear rod, or a fly rod. Then, the actual rod portion has a total of six pieces. (3 gear rod pieces, and 3 fly rod pieces) But, you can only together two at a time, because two of the 3 rod pieces for each type of rod are tip sections. I'm assuming that is because the old bamboo rods break easily? I don't know, but was wondering if the rod could be fished safely, without breaking it? Or if I should not even attempt to because it is such a unique rod?

2. Tom Bowden

Tom Bowden Active Member

Media:
    Absolutehog,

Is the maker and model written on the rod? This will help you determine whether it's a "collectors item" or a plain old fishing rod. Let us know.

Bamboo rods have two tips because the stress you put on the tip section will eventually (after years of normal use) weaken the fibers. By alternating tips you delay this wear and make the rod last longer. Graphite and fiberglass rods are actually much more breakable than bamboo.

Tom

3. Nick Riggs

Media:
    I looked all over it and it is just blank. I think that it might actually be a custom built rod, but I'll ask my dad when he gets home. (I doubt he knows) but Thanks for the info and the little bit of trivia about the rod tips. I'll post more when I know more.

4. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    It's not a unique rod at all. I was actually given a few of these. The only one I kept was the one my Grandpa had used. The rest were "junk" ones he had bought as parts rods. I have it sitting on my desk in fact with the casting reel on it. But they were conversion rods. So you could easily switch out what style fishing you wanted to do. Most bamboo rods, I do believed, came with two tips. I do have a similar rod to the one you're talking about. May have to take a picture of it. Think it's a 6 piece rod, two sections for the gear and 4 for the fly.

5. Tim Lockhart

Tim Lockhart Working late at The Office

Media:
    My father-in-law has one very similar as well. Handle flip-flops for either fly or spin. Spin uses two sections and goes to 6 ft. Fly uses same first section then two others w/ more gradual taper out to 9 ft.

If you use it and don't have a fly line yet, I'd recommend something like Cortland's 444 Sylk so the rod will cast like it should. I’m currently using same on an old cane rod and it works quite well. Runs about 50 bucks. Fly shop can recommend the proper line weight if the rod does not specify.

6. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

Thousands of these inexpensive rod 'systems' were imported into the US in the 1950's (give or take a couple of years). Even came in a wooden box for storrage.

7. speyfisher

speyfisher Active Member

Exactly. I also have one. Wooden box, leaders, flies and all. Was a gift from ex mother in law. She said someone had given it to her husband back in the 50's or 60's. Her and her circle of friends used to travel abroad a lot. It's a wall hanger/conversation piece.

8. Nick Riggs

Media:
    Yep, comes in a little wooden box, with flies. Maybe now I can convince my dad to let me fish with it. Thanks for the info.:beer2:

9. rockymountain_brown

rockymountain_brown Senore Member

Media:
    Yup. Tens of thousands of thousands of these combos came to the US in the 40s and 50s. they generally were the spin/fly combos in the wooden boxes with names like Grampus or Angelfish. The bamboo used in these rods is quite inferior to chinese "tonkin" cane rods. It is almost always a lite blonde color and is very very noodely. Price range-$25-50.
    RMB