old bamboo rod info

Discussion in 'Bamboo, Fiberglass & Classic Reels' started by Itchy Dog, Mar 30, 2006.

1. Itchy Dog

Itchy Dog Some call me Kirk Werner

Media:
    Home Page:
    My brother just dug out an old bamboo rod that was passed on to us from my grandfather probably 30 years ago. I have no idea of it's manufacture date, but I'm going to guess that it's from the 40's or 50's. It's a nine foot, 3-piece rod called the "Challenger", made by the Old Faithful Rod Company out of Denver. There's nothing else stamped on the rod or tube. It's in amazingly nice shape, and very flexible. I did a Google search but nothing came up.

Anyone ever heard of this company or know where to turn to find out more about it?

Thanks.

2. lx-88

lx-88 Member

Media:
  3. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Media:
    Old Faithful rods were marketed as seconds from the Wright & McGill Granger factory in the late 1940s and early 1950s. If yours is in good shape, take care of it as it could be worth several hundred bucks or more. PM me for care pointers if you're interested.

The snippet below is from http://www.flyanglersonline.com/features/bamboo/part99.html mentioned in an earlier post

K

Fly fishers and collectors looking for a bargain should keep an eye out for rods marketed under the name of the Old Faithful Rod Company. I first learned about their rods when I found one in a group of three rods that I bought from a person I met at a collector’s market. The only marking on the rod was Challenger. The address on the original tube that came with the rod was 4th & Grant, Denver, Colorado. The cane had a vaguely familiar rich brown hue that was reminiscent of the Granger rods. I figured that with the address, I might be able to find out more about the company. After spending a short amount of time at the library, I was able to obtain an excellent book by Dick Spurr and Michael Sinclair titled Colorado Classic Cane*. From this reference, I discovered my rod was actually made by Wright and McGill. These rods were made from sections that had not passed the stringent quality control used with their regular line. They were usually fitted with the same high quality nickel-silver ferrules, but less expensive anodized aluminum down-locking reel seats were used along with cheaper cork grips. The wraps used on these rods were also plain with no tipping. Three different models were sold in this line with the names Challenger, True Action (fig. 4) and Thoroughbred. Although they were not of the same high quality as the name brand Granger rods, they are still excellent fishing sticks.

4. Itchy Dog

Itchy Dog Some call me Kirk Werner

Media:
    Home Page:
    Thanks for the link, fellas. That's an interesting bit of info. Luckily this rod has two tip sections- one of which the end guide is broken off. I think it's going to go up on a fireplace mantle for decoration- I guess my brother and me have to arm wrestle to see who's fireplace it's going to adorn.

5. Mike Danahy

Mike Danahy @#)$%# river otters!

Media:
    Is that a good place to look for info on old bamboo rods. I have two that were my grandfathers I found in my folks place when they moved and am curious to learn what I can about them.