Old Cortland line

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Kaiserman, Apr 4, 2013.

1. Kaiserman

Kaiserman Phil 4:11-13

Temporarily on earth, longing for home...
    Anyone remember the first Cortland, intermediate line? I needed a 6wt for Thursday's fishing trip, dug around in my "line stash" and found my first intermediate line from back in the late '80's - a Cortland 6wt. I think it was Cortland's first one they made. Bought it back in '89 I think. It's blue in color, and the outer sheathing is practically bomb proof. A little faded, but I think she'll do just fine for now.

I even remember one time on a lake, where the bugs were coming off the top, and I was too lazy to change to a dry line. No worries, I ran it though some Amoral goo I had made up, and that line wouldn't sink to save it's life! Sat right on top better than my dry line did normally!:eek:

Man, they don't make lines like that anymore, and short of setting it on fire, I think it will be just fine for another 20yrs...

2. Jim Darden

Jim Darden Active Member

I felt that way about the peach colored 444s, it was embarrassing how long they lasted....

3. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Media:
    I still use a peach colored 444 bought in 1976.

4. troutpocket

troutpocket Active Member

Media:
    Yes, yes I do. I found a 6wt new old stock "sky blue" cortland intermediate a few years ago. Took it with me on a trip to Henry's Lake and it fished just fine. Sinks as slow as any intermediate I've tried . . .and that's a very good thing! I don't fish it often now just because I prefer 5wts for the lakes I fish but when I travel east to Big Fish Land, I take that line along.

Here's a photo of that line getting a good stretching from a MT stillwater brown . . .fish taped out around 22"
    IMGP0754.JPG

triploidjunkie likes this.
  5. Kaiserman

Kaiserman Phil 4:11-13

Temporarily on earth, longing for home...
    I just used mine again today, after 23 yrs of sitting in storage. That outer coating is absolutely bomb proof! It cast like a new line...

That's a cool pic ^

6. chief

chief Active Member

I have a couple of them that I picked up in the 90's sometime. They still cast just fine but I find they tend to have a hard time breaking the surface tension. I've tried rubbing zink and/or mud on them and they still float more than they sink. I use a rio aqualux now, but I still have those Cortland's for loaners.

7. Brian White

Brian White Recovering Bugmeister

Further from MT than I'd like (B-vue, WA)
    i have a 444 6 wt floating - still use it sometimes and it still performs!