Old el Pasco

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Seth Tyson, Feb 21, 2014.

1. Seth Tyson Active Member

Spokane
    Ratings: +75 / 0
    I was offered a new position and a descent pay bump today. However, it would require me to move from Spokane to Pasco.

What's the area like? I would imagine one could locate some salmon and steel when season permits....
  2. David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Walla Walla, WA
    Ratings: +737 / 0
    You'd be closer to both than you are now. Draw a "two hour drive" circle from Pasco, and you'll find plenty of options. Trout, Ditch Pickles, Carp, Salmon of several varieties and Steelfaces. And if you're like many other Spokompton residents, the waters you probably steelhead now will only be about 30 minutes longer drive away.

Sell you yet?

:D
    aplTyler and constructeur like this.
  3. IveofIone Active Member

Ratings: +1,064 / 0
    It's hotter in summer but warmer in winter. I doubt you would have the frequency of snow and black ice events that are common in Spokane in the winter. More sunny days for sure. As for fishing, there is such an abundance within an hour or two that you would be real busy sampling it all. You could spend several years just learning the Seeps Lakes alone. Lots of Tri Cities guys fish the Columbia for smallmouth and Walleye in addition to the salmonids.
    Even the Deschutes isn't that far away and would make a great overnighter.

Authentic Mexican food can be found in the area as well. I'm not sure what the traffic is like nowadays but could it really be worse than Division or Sprague? Probably not a bad move if the Spokane winters are starting to wear on you.

Ive
  4. Kaiserman content

Ratings: +401 / 0
    You couldn't pay me enough to live in the Tri Shi.. Cities. Go look up their average temps in the summertime.

If that doesn't bother you, I'm sure it's not really much different than Spokane... other than it's mostly flat and arid.

My best fishing buddy lives down there. He'd move back to Spokane if he could.
    Don Freeman likes this.
  5. troutpocket Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +326 / 0
    Hot sagebrush. Windy and dusty. Not much shade. But otherwise, others have described the fishing options.

I lived in Spokane for a couple years and always thought it was beautiful. The TriCities doesn't fit that description, for me.
    fredaevans likes this.
  6. Seth Tyson Active Member

Spokane
    Thanks guys. It would only be for a few years . I wouldn't mind being closer to the klickitat...
  7. Old406Kid Active Member

Spokane, WA
    Ratings: +84 / 0
    Seth,
    Not sure what you do for work but for me family would be first, fishing second or whatever.
    If I remember right you're 26 or so with a young family. I would go down there with your wife,
    do some snooping around and make your decision mutually.
    Re: Fishing... From what I have gathered from your posts you're an explorer type so will definitely
    find opportunities wherever you go. Also some good forum members from the area that would probably be willing
    to show you the ropes.
    Best of luck with your decision.
    Oh yeah, forgot to mention I heard they have humongous browns down there!:)
    Seth Tyson likes this.
  8. fredaevans Active Member

White City, Oregon, USA.
    Ratings: +118 / 0
    Agree with take the wife down and do a good look around. A very dated comment but that was one of the few places I've ever been that I'd refuse the move.
    Don Freeman and Kent Lufkin like this.
  9. Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

Columbia Basin
    Ratings: +630 / 0
    Lots of fishing, mild winters, lots of sunny days, not a whole lot of rain. Windy in the spring, can get dusty, good schools & shopping. If you like mountains & forests or fishing skinny water, you'll have to drive a ways to find them. I moved here 34 years ago from a mile high in the Montana Rockies; I call it home & Montana is not all that far away when I go on sabbatical. I'm content fishing for the plethora of Bass & other warm-water fish, plus Salmon & Steelhead in-season. The Basin Seep Lakes are reasonably close, great waterfowl hunting, fair upland hunting, close local hiking trails & nice parks along the Columbia. I'd recommend coming down & checking it out, as advised. Oh, and you don't have to shovel sunshine. Good luck with your decision.
  10. jessejames Flyslinger

Show Low, Arizona
    Ratings: +345 / 3
    I spent a lot of time working in the Tri-Cities. Even considered a move there several times.
    There are really three communities there each with a different style. Pasco itself may be the least appealing but living in either of the other areas: Kennewick or Richland doesn't make for a big commute.
    There are some great schools there also.
    You are a young guy it sounds like a good career move WTH give it a go.
    jesse
  11. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,616 / 0
    Lived on the wet west side all my life, so my impression of Tri-Cities is hot, windy, dusty, desert, unfit for most life forms. I would consider moving there if blue ribbon fishing was no more than a 15 minute drive and I were offered a 300% increase in pay. The only interesting thing I know about Pasco is that a young hooker needing help knocked on my car window as I was about to drive out of my hotel parking lot.

Sg
  12. Jeremy Floyd fly fishing my way through life

Quesnel, BC
    Ratings: +319 / 0
    live a few minutes north (15-20) would be my advice..
  13. David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Walla Walla, WA
    Ratings: +737 / 0
    Keep in mind, there is an old and new side to Pasco. The old school side is where you can get legit Mexican food. The new side you can get cookie cutter housing and panda express :D

Hot, Windy, flat.
  14. Chad Lewis NEVER wonder what to do with your free time

TriCities, WA
    Ratings: +152 / 0
    I lived in Pasco for three years and recently moved back to the west side. It's the desert so be ready for hot,dry, dusty, windy conditions in the summer. Cools down dramatically in the evenings most days which makes for some awesome BBQ and lounging at the winery weather. In my opinion the tri-cities don't offer much in the way of entertainment. If you and yours like going out your options will be limited compared to Spokane, but there's stuff there. Nothing's in your face, but if you look there's some there. But you'll fill your time in other ways. If there's wine involved in your life you'll be going to heaven. When I left there were seven local breweries too. So, not a bad place if the summer heat's not a deal breaker for you. It just suffers from a distinct lack of "culture", which I've always found perplexing considering how much money lives in the place. Mountains are there too, you just have to drive a bit. The Blues are easily done in a day trip and the Cascades are easy too. Rainier is three hours.

Here's some really good news. There's more good fishing than you'll be able to fish unless you work three days a week and even then it'll take you years to make a dent. Knowing what fishing is like on the west side because I lived there before tri-cities I actually found myself seriously bummed out about my change in fishing fortunes. Unless you need steelhead in coastal rivers to make your life complete or have saltwater in your blood, Eastern Washington is the place to be for trout in moving water. And smallies. And largemouth. And all their spiny ray kin. And chinook in the Columbia. And steelhead in numbers that'll make your jaw drop compared to the west side. And delicious walleye. And huge spooky carp 'cause it's like catching a freight train. 'Nuff said aobut that.
  15. John O'Leary Member

Tri-Cities, WA.
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    We moved here after 30 years spent in Seattle, Portland, Bay Area, and some smaller towns in between. We love it, and have no intentions of ever moving. This is a very family oriented, kid friendly place. There are many things about the TCs that are much better than other places I've lived - fishing, hunting, jogging, dog ownership, birding, gardening, the weather, etc. Bottom line, If you are a big city person it's probably not for you, but if you're outdoor and family oriented, you'll like it. If you have any questions about the area, feel free to send me a pm.
  16. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    Ratings: +2,561 / 0
    Once you get over the fact that everyone who lives near Hanford glows green at night, it's not a bad place :D

(both my older and younger brother worked at Hanford for a number of years and they stopped glowing green when they found jobs elsewhere in the country :) )

...just kidding...
  17. David Loy Senior Moment

Wolf Bay
    Ratings: +318 / 2
    A cousin lives in Tri Cities and only comes to Seattle "to see if the windshield wipers still work". He FFs some, mostly for SMB in the river I think. I was involved with the Horn Rapids development and GC, but didn't spend much time there.

Dave, what is a "Ditch Pickle"? I can imagine but that's a dangerous thing. Never heard the term but it's a gud1.
    Edit: Belay that, got it. It's (either a snowmobile, or) a SMB. Funny term.
  18. Seth Tyson Active Member

Spokane

Gene- You're assuming everyone thinks glowing at night is a negative thing.:D

Thanks for everyones help. I will be spending sometime down there before we make a definite decision. Hopefully some of you will have some free time to throw out a few lines.

Im leaning towards it being a good career opportunity . Would rather do it now while the kids are young and my wife is still in school.
  19. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    Ratings: +2,561 / 0
    Good point... cuts down on the need for street lights! :rolleyes:
    Old406Kid likes this.
  20. Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

Columbia Basin
    Ratings: +630 / 0
    I don't glow much anymore; I reserve it for holidays & night fishing. But . . . I can light a gas grill from 20' away just by pointing at it . . .
    Seth Tyson, GAT and troutpocket like this.