Old Fenwick FL842 blank

Discussion in 'Bamboo, Fiberglass & Classic Reels' started by John Vancil, Apr 24, 2014.

1. John Vancil

John Vancil New Member

Hi I have old fly rod I built in 1964 or 1965 that I am trying to line. I thought the numbering on the blank
    would mean 8 foot 4 weight line two piece. But my 5 weight lines cast better then the 4 weight. So the
    question is what do the model number really mean? Thanks for any help you can offer. John

2. Troutcreek

Troutcreek Active Member

Media:
    I'm not a finwick guy so I don't know what the model numbers mean. The marked line weight is a general guideline considered normal by the manufacturer. It's quite common to line a rod with a different weight. A heavier line will slow the action and a lighter line can quicken it. Powell rods would have 3 line weights marked on the rod for this reason. To make things simpler companies just put the average line weight on most rods. Another thing to consider is that your rod was very likely designed for a double taper fly line which can feel a bit heavier. Most rods that like a double taper 4wt. fly line also like a weight foreword 5 weight at least in my hand. I'd try a Cortland 444 Peach Dt 4 wt on yor rod.
    Best to you,

3. rockthief

rockthief Fly fishing = food for my soul

I believe your rod is the blank (sold in a kit) equivalent of the Fenwick FF705 which is a true five weight rod. 84 is 84" = 7' and the 2 means a two piece rod. It's a fine rod you have there.

Paul

4. Roger Nott

Roger Nott Member

As rockthief says the FL designated feralite blanks are in inches (84 = 7'). As far as I know Fenwick Feralites in 7' in that era are 5 wt. I'm not aware of any Feralites lighter than 5 wt actually. So this should be a 7' 5 wt. Later they designated that blank as FL84-5 which I built on decades ago. Fenwick went through a fair amount of alphabet / numerical soup over the decades in their designations.

5. John Vancil

John Vancil New Member

Thanks guys for your replies you have been a great help and that explains why my wf4 line doesn't cast well but
    the wf5 line cast great. Thanks again! John

6. rockthief

My FL84-5 is a 5 wt that will cast a 4 just fine. John is your blank yellow or brown? Just curious. I have an FL yellow and the FL84-5 is brown.

7. John Vancil

John Vancil New Member

Rockthief my rod is yellow and my wf4 line wants to collapse the last five at sixty to seventy feet and the
    wf5 line lays the way out.

8. rockthief

John, I have a yellow FL90-5 blank and it is a true five just as your rod is a true five. Go fish the heck out of it. I love my FL90-5.