Old Man Forum.

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Old Man, Apr 3, 2012.

1. Richard Torres

Richard Torres Active Member

Media:
    Ahh, the good old days of throwing sticks tipped with rock arrows at my quarry.

My grandchildren tell me that their bamboo sticks and gut lines are the rage nowadays....
    HOGWASH!!
    I won't put up with that kind of nonsense, sissys..

2. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Media:
    Jim, won't it get pretty boring replying to your own posts?

3. Richard Torres

Richard Torres Active Member

Media:
    What???!!

You beat a water beaver over the head??!

I think these damn glasses don't fit right...

4. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

They hadn't invented sticks yet when my childhood friend Og & I started fishing . . .

5. surfnsully

surfnsully Active Member

Media:
    Can I join? I like to fart and belch as much as any OLD man, and I am good at it too!

6. GATOR9

GATOR9 Hey you guys

surfnsully---when farting, is that with or w/t waders on? That is one big ass difference.

I do wish though that they would come up with waders with a flap on the back. It would make life a lot easier regardless of our age.:eek:

7. John Bisset

John Bisset retired to fish

You'll know if your old enough; its a state of mind not # of years. And you have to have a medalist reel in the closet somewhere.

8. papafsh

papafsh Piscatorial predilection

Media:
    Home Page:
    Well I fer danged sure qualify!
    OMJ and I fished together a few times way back then.
    Heck,I remember the day when, somehow, I found myself with OMJ on the Sultan River. The path from the parking lot was well defined and actually an easy "Stroll in the Park" as they (old folks) say.Actually it is a park but with OMJ along what was usually a pleasant 15 minutes or so, became a bit of a bitch and moan session, "How the hell far is it to the GD river anyway!" being one of his milder recitations. We did finally get to the first spot, a place that was and and always will be. my personal favorite on any river, anywhere, because it was there that I caught my first Bull trout and Steelhead, on a fly (beadhead olive WB/6wt FL) on the same day, just the previous year. And here I was shareing it with OMJ:eek: .
    I fished up stream at the head of the run and OMJ headed toward the tailout. I guess about 20 minutes or so later I looked around, to see where Jim was, Then I spotted him lying flat on his back, right on the rocks next to the water. Yikes! (see only us old guy's still use expressions like Yikes!) ahhh......, oh yea. There he was flat out not even moving....crap!...is he dead?, has he just passed out?, did he fall and hit his head?.....Yike's!.....Nope, "I'm just restin' my GD back is all" Jim said when I waded over to the spot where he lay. "Fine, I said, thought you were dead or ........*%$%&))(*^^%^&**! NO I'M NOT DEAD! Jim bellowed as he rolled over on all fours to get up ( sight not for the faint-of-heart). All in all a day to remember, I think we mostly caught white fish in large numbers that day, well one of us did. ;)

LB
    Thanks OMJ

9. Krusty

Krusty Krusty Old Effer

Simm's markets their patented 'Simm's Sphincter Valve' chest waders...though they only are made in their custom tailored models.

10. Steve Call

Steve Call Active Member

Whew! I was worried to hell I might qualify for this group. But if voting for JFK is the cut-off, I'm saved!

11. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Media:
    Only just, Esteban, only just:D It's not the years, but the mileage! We might also think about adding two more categories: a "CRS" category, and one on recent surgeries. And if you young kiddies don't know what "CRS" means, you definitely DON"T qualify!

12. Olive bugger

Olive bugger Active Member

Standing in the river, wondering how you got there is also an indicator that perhaps you qualify or else the pills you took this morning were not aspirin.

13. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    Talking about Kennedy. Do some of you remember when he was shot. It tied up TV for four days. We didn't have the 3000 channels we have now. So all the networks we tied up for the duration of that shit.

I didn't go fishing as then I only fished weekends. Being November and off of Daylight savings time, it got dark early.

On CRS. I had to think on this for a minute. There are so many acronyms out there. That I just can't remember them all anymore. I have to go to Google to look them up. I guess having a good memory is starting to fade as you get older.

14. _WW_

_WW_ Fishes with Wolves

Media:
    That's what CRS means old man 'Can't Remember Stuff' :)

15. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    Well that was close. Except the stuff should be Shit.

What Lonnie was referring to is that walking long distances with waders and all the other junk on tires out my back. I lay down on the shore to relax my back.

I haven't done that for a long while. Here in Montana you don't have to walk long distances to find fish. You park you rig next to the river jump, well step out in my case, out of whatever your driving and start fishing. After a few minutes you will start catching fish.

I will admit that I have fished and bullshitted with quite a few fellow fly fishers from this web site. Every time I have met somebody from here it was good times all around. Some like to party hard. Me, when I have enough booze in me I like to go to sleep. I'm a good natured drunk.

16. John Wallace

John Wallace Active Member

How about there were no graphite, neoperne, or anything breathable yet. Most fisherman didn't wear waders.
    And yes, I was O.K. after the pain stopped. But still have a red mark on my upper leg to remember the day by. I did take the waders off and fished to whole day in my shorts. Did get a nice 15in on a dry.
    Best of all what a memory!!!

17. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Dang! This thread makes me want to forget about talkin' fly angling with a bunch of old farts and just go surfing!

Oops, I said "dang." Dang!

And that was a good story there, papafish!

18. Don Freeman

Don Freeman Free Man

As long as you don't post an age, I can fantasize that there's something I'm still too young for.

19. John Wallace

John Wallace Active Member

Hey I got a longboard to go skating with my son last year. I'm hopefully getting another one Friday and having one built in a couple of weeks.
    As to what someone else wrote. I do remember when Kennedy got shot. I was young, but in school and because of what happened they let us out early. That was on Nov 22 because that was my birthday.

20. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Media:
    I remember when fly lines were enameled and the reels were cheap. I just got one of those cheap reels a couple of days ago and it wasn't cheap any more.