Old Man Forum.

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Old Man, Apr 3, 2012.

1. bakerite

bakerite Active Member

Ebey has the best calibatis hatch I ever saw in Western Washington....what a unique little place, float tubin' through all those trees, with fish rising everywhere. I just looked at my books and saw Roy Patrick's "Tie your own flies" and Northwest Fly patterns, with all the marks I made in them when I was a kid.

I wish Spring would show up. No kidding Old Man, I haven't been fishing yet this year because whenever I could go, the wind has been howling! We had four inches of snow yesterday and a skiff this morning. Then I picked my daughter up at tennis practice tonight and she was crying because her hands were so cold....

2. Olive bugger

Olive bugger Active Member

Those Roy Patrick books bring back some memories. I learned to tie with his TIE YOUR OWN FLIES. I still have the NORTHWEST FLY PATTERNS but I gave my Grandson the TIE YOUR OWN FLIES. He was a very nice man.

3. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

I have a little green book from that shop. It's not mine. It was my Father in law little green book. He passed away a while back and I sort of just ended up with it.

It was in with some fly fishing books I donated to the public library here in Dillon. They now have a section on fly fishing.

4. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

It started raining here last night, so it's a-coming your way, boys!

5. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

I woke up to a white landscape. It's 27 degrees out and that white shit is still coming down. Plus the wind is blowing so it wants to drift. It looks like about 2" so far.

So much for spring time in Montana. It's more like winter. We were fooled by that nice weather we had last week Temps in the low 60's. Warm sun on my face. Not this week. But I couldn't get out if I wanted to. I can't walk, GOUT showed back up. It lays me up for about three days at a time. But it only shows up about twice a year. I can live with that.

6. Olive bugger

Olive bugger Active Member

I am sorry about you ailment, Jim. And the weather change. Looks like I will be taking care of Momma for the next two weeks or so, so the flies will have to wait until she is healed up after her surgery.

7. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

This shit didn't hit me until a few years ago. I'm 77 so look what you other old farts have to look forward to when you get older. Ha,ha,ha.

8. PT

PT Physhicist

I'm all for a new forum if you just stay the hell over there. Or, at least keep your bitching on that side, and your useful fishing reports on this side.

:)

9. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Krusty,

That is awesome!!!!!! I grew up with Stan Boreson. You aren't old enough either, if you don't know who Wunda Wunda is!

10. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

I was old when those shows were on. How about Howdy Doody. I always like to watch Captain Puget.

11. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

This is the only recreation that I can get at the moment. If I was feeling better and the sun would come out to warm my face I might get back out there if only to hobble around.

By next Tuesday it's supposed to be in the 70's according to the weather page. Woo Hoo.

12. apistomaster

apistomaster Member

You know you are a bona fide geezer fly fisherman when you have had three TURP operations and known the joys of having a leg bag strapped on thus buying you many hours of tubing without having to get out to piss. You have a Foley catheter in your bladder plus two liters of bag urine capacity.
    Been there and done that.

And before I moved back to the east side and before they gated the road to Ebey Lake it was the primo spot on the west side for Callibaetis hatches and the lake still only had coastal Cutthroats in it and some of them were big.

Also if you have an autographed copy of Enos Bradner's Northwest Angling.

13. TANGLES

TANGLES Richh

Still have old bamboo salmon rods. I remember how excited we were to get those newfangled glass rods. Don't know what the rods are we have in my avatar picture. Of course, that's when they were just poles.

14. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

I think I met him one time. It was in another life time I'm sure. It was about 40 some years ago. We were fishing off Camano Island, We had a drunken weekend with about 20 other people. I was fishing with gear. I caught a white king. 27 lbs. He took my picture with the fish. I should of got a picture of it but in them days I didn't give a shit if I got a picture or not.

Now nobody will believe you if you say you caught a fish without a picture. Well I still have that fight and what it looked like in my head. And it tasted very good also.

15. apistomaster

apistomaster Member

It would have been cool to meet Enos Bradner. He was already old when we were young.
    I believe old geezer fly fishers.
    They taught me most everything that is important of what i have learned.
    The worst thing that ever happened to fly fishing was the movie, "A River Runs Through It."
    I still tube in my ancient Insuldri Float Tube. I've been through many sets of stocking foot waders, Red Balls through Neoprenes and I am still using my original inner tube in my float tube.
    There are the pre- and post- "A River Runs Through It" fly fishermen. The latter descended like locusts upon our waters and forever changed the nature of the sport. Bobber fishers for Christs sake.

16. bakerite

bakerite Active Member

Hey apistomaster! I just bought a license today. The weather tomorrow calls for moderate winds and 55 degrees. They dumped a bunch of planters in the pond the other day so I think it's finally time to break out the tube. I still hae my insul-dry too, but have moved up to one you don't have to step into. I think I will tie on a "dandy green nymph for Enos and exercise some troutskis. Jeff

17. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

After all day yesterday of snow fall. Got up this morning to a temp of 13. Typical Montana spring day. Got about 5" overall. Should be gone by this afternoon. Maybe.

It's almost noon and it is still 20 degrees out. It is supposed to get to 46 today but I think the weather man is smoking something.

18. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

You could be classed as an old man if when lying on the bank resting your back a youngster made a mistake and tried to administer CPR.

19. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

You better watch out Bill, as I'll tell everybody that I have met you also. We didn't fish that day but it was a good time had by all.

20. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

I collect social security so I'm in the general age bracket