Old School New School Swap

Discussion in 'Fly Swaps' started by ComeOnSounders, Mar 3, 2014.

1. ComeOnSounders Member

Seattle
    Ratings: +17 / 0
    CANCELLED

So I’m getting ready to tie up a few different patterns to fill up some new fly boxes, and I figured I might as well make a swap of it. I’ve been itching to jump on the next swap that pops up but just can’t wait any longer. This is my first swap and I'm fairly new to tying, but I think my skills are up to it. And how hard can it be to run a swap anyways (famous last words of a rookie swapmeister)? For a theme, I was thinking your favorite old classic vs a more modern take (or whatever is new to you) on the same bug.

CANCELED

Sorry, but this one just never got enough interest. I'll throw a new one out later this summer when I've got some time.
  2. PhilR New Member

Beaverton
    Ratings: +8 / 0
    Being a fairly new to tying, and my first swap, I think I'll jump in here too. I'm assuming trout, and you're not restricting to a type of fly. I might do something like a classic prince nymph, and a purple prince, or something similar with a soft hackle.
  3. ComeOnSounders Member

Seattle
    Trout is what I was thinking, but anything will work. I've got a couple books with classic patterns from the 40s that I love referencing. Looking through these and searching the web for different ideas/takes on the same patterns is what gave me the idea. Glad someone is on board!
  4. Whip-LASH MEOW

SEA-TOWN
    Ratings: +14 / 0
    Sounders,
    I am down to tie some classic/old school trout flies, but need some clarification on this swap? Do you want to us to use traditional materials on these classic/old school flies or keep to the original pattern and use any materials? Whatever you decide, I'm looking forward to this fly swap.
  5. ComeOnSounders Member

Seattle
    Yeah...traditional patter & traditional materials is what I was thinking. Then a contemporary version of that same pattern with contemporary/unconventional/outside the (old school) box materials. I guess I wasn't really clear, cause I'm not going to be picky about what people tie. It just sounded like a fun idea to me. Glad we've got another one!
  6. ComeOnSounders Member

Seattle
    Maybe I should tie up a couple bugs this weekend to give people an idea of what I was thinking. I'll post the pics when I'm done.
  7. PhilR New Member

Beaverton
    Ratings: +8 / 0
    Hi COS:
    Is this what you were thinking? Here's my take on prince and psycho prince.

[IMG]
  8. ComeOnSounders Member

Seattle
    Sorry for the delayed response. Busy week last week. Nice PhilR! Psycho, but I like em. Here's a couple extended body mayflies I tied up. So instead of the classic dubbed body, I used foam and furry foam. I've never used either materials for an extended body so these first bugs aren't too pretty but I'll get them there.
    For the swap I'd like to tie a classic dubbed body and then one of the two newer styles. I think I'll also try out some synthetic threads for the tails instead of the moose hair I'll use on the classic. Anyways...hope there's more interest. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
  9. ComeOnSounders Member

Seattle
    Whoops. Sorry for the double pic post. Those are the same two flys. And sorry about the poor pic quality. Still working on the easiest/best way to take fly pics.
  10. ComeOnSounders Member

Seattle
    Hope my ugly flies didn't scare everyone away. I'll give it a while longer before we scrap the swap though.
  11. Eric Denny It's summer time I'm fishing!!

Spokane, WA.
    Ratings: +112 / 0
    I'm in sorry I didn't see this earlier I would have joined. And I have seen your work it was good by me!
  12. ComeOnSounders Member

Seattle
    Thanks Eric! I don't think I've got time for this swap right now. Busy as all get out. So this one I'll have to cancel, but I'll start a new one up this summer and see if I can get a few more interested.
    Eric Denny likes this.
  13. Eric Denny It's summer time I'm fishing!!

Spokane, WA.
    Ratings: +112 / 0
    Just let me know when u do. I will be starting some up again come fall but I understand being busy!