Older 1981 Orvis graphite

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by UptheCreek, Mar 10, 2010.

1. UptheCreek Member

Spokane, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I just purchased an older Orvis rod made back in '81. It is an 8 foot 6wt. and in great condition. Just wondering if any of you have seen a rod like it or have any idea what it might be worth.
  2. dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Near the Fjord
    Ratings: +563 / 0
    I have one that is that old or older. Weighs 1-7/8 ounce. Slower action. Probably feels almost like a 4 wt. of today's standards. Nice rod. Use it.
  3. UptheCreek Member

Spokane, WA
    I just found out that it is one of their superfine trout series rods that they use to make back then. It is like you said, a slower action, full flex rod and I think I will use it!!
  4. dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Near the Fjord
    It's a dandy!
  5. Tim Cottage Formerly tbc1415

Outer Duvall
    Ratings: +244 / 1
    These are fine rods. I have a couple of early graphite from Orvis. The early Orvis unsanded blanks were made by Fisher. Mine are not the Superfine model but great rods none the less. The Superfine moniker goes pretty far back in Orvis' history.
    I have not cast a newer Orvis rod (made in the last twenty years) but the stated line weight on older versions were typically overstated. A 6wt was really a 5wt. A 7wt really a 6wt, etc. This is particularly true if you use modern lines which are typically tapered to load modern rods.
    Within the stated weight, line weight distribution has more to do with loading characteristics than actual weight.

Like almost all graphite rods its not worth much used.

TC
  6. UptheCreek Member

Spokane, WA
    I have had the opportunity to fish with a few times now and it is like butter!! It is a 6wt but I use my 5wt line and reel on it and it works great. Very smooth and fun to catch fish on!
  7. dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Near the Fjord
    You gave me inspiration to "string mine up". It does have a nice bend when fighting a nice trout. I do have one of the earlier models, but I don't think it was called a Superfine then, but I'm not sure.
  8. UptheCreek Member

Spokane, WA
    I have been fishing with quite a bit lately and I sure do love that rod!!
  9. creekx spent spinner

Rancho Deluxe
    Ratings: +15 / 0
    I have a similar vintage Orvis graphite, the 8'-6" #6. As I recall your 8' model was called the "8' Trout." They are very sweet casting rods, and very light even by today's standards. The "Seven-Eleven" (7'-11" #4) and the "Far-and-Fine" (7'-9" #5) were two of the gems of the early full-flex designs.

After reading this thread yesterday, I was looking forward to going home and digging out an old mid-80's Orvis catalog. Bummed I could not find it! If I find it I'll scan and post the page with the description of those rods - its interesting to look back.
  10. UptheCreek Member

Spokane, WA
    I will have to keep my eyes open for some more of those rods, very fun to fish with!
  11. ukntcme GI-Joe

Kittanning, PA
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    I just picked up a Henry's Fork 8'6" 5wt a few weeks ago from 1983. Have not fished it yet but it lawn casts very nicely.

Wally
  12. ukntcme GI-Joe

Kittanning, PA
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    As to the value of the rod I paid $110 for mine and think I got a good deal. It came with original sock and tube and is in decent well used condition. I have watched on ebay to see what they go for. Most of the old full flex rods go around $150 or so. I really doe not matter to me I will never sell it. I bought an old Orvis 5/6 Battenkill reel (made in England) to use with it. They stock the local streams in 10 days so I will get a chance to pull it out. Enjoy.