Older Renzetti Presentation Vise

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Southsound, Feb 4, 2008.

1. Southsound Steve Cole - Nisqually and Adjacent Environs

South Puget Sound (again!), WA, USA
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    This weekend I came into an early model Renzetti vise. The documentation identifies it as the Presentation Mark II vise. I have been searching for information concerning it's vintage, etc., but have come up with bupkis. I am in touch with Renzetti and Lily herself is baffled. It is definitely an older vise judging from the documentation I would say about 1980s. If there is anyone out there who might be able to shed some light on this mystery, I would love to hear from you.

THanks

Steve Cole
    Oly/Lacey/TumH20
  2. FT Active Member

Burlington, WA
    Ratings: +102 / 0
    The vise you picked up might even be from the '70's. If I remember correctly, the Renzetti Mark II was the precursor of the Presentation 3000 and like the Presentation 3000, it has the screw clamp jaws (they loosen and tighten by turning the knob on the bottom of the jaw. I also seem to remember that the Mark II was the first Renzetti that had an adjustment screw to put tension on the rotary arm so it would stay in one place, but still be able to be moved, which all of them have now.. Back then, Renzetti only made one or at most two vises. This vise would have been made when Renzetti was still located in Pennsylvania (Phoenixville, PA I think is the town they started out in) before they moved to Florida.

Renzetti vises were hard to find when they first started making them (I know they were available in the early '70's) and Dale Clemens Custom Tackle, Allentown, PA (now out of business) was one of the first to carry them. However, most folks just contacted them directly to get a vise after they saw one in use at a fly tying demo during a FFF sponsored show.
  3. Fred Krow Member

Litchfield, CT
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I have an old Renzetti, it was called the 3-Jaw vise when initially offered. I purchased it used and have no idea when it was manufactured.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Regards,
    FK
  4. Southsound Steve Cole - Nisqually and Adjacent Environs

Thanks for that extra information. The odd thing is, it does not have the screw clamp jaw system but something closer to the earlier saltwater traveler... I am going to post some photos of the Presentation Mark II this weekend so folks can get a better look.

Thanks again...

Steve
  5. Fred Krow Member

Litchfield, CT
    Southsound,

I believe your vise is the early version of the Presentation 4000 series, this is the vise with clamp jaws like the Traveler but with brass and stainless construction vs. all aluminum on the Traveler.

I am certain my vise is the first Renzetti model with a clutch in the rotary arm brass lever, and is earlier than your Presentation Mark II.

Your photos will be interesting.

Regards,
    FK
  6. FT Active Member

Burlington, WA
    Fred,

Thanks for refreshing my memory. You are right, the Mark II was the first one with a jaw like the Presentation 4000, Traveler, or Saltwater Traveler. This jaw (the small screw to adjust the parallelness of the jaws when clamped on a hook and the larger screw toward the rear of the jaw to adjust clamping pressure and put the hook in or remove it from the jaw), eliminated the need to have multiple jaws.

I remember when the Renzetti you got was first offered, it sold for something like the then outrageous price of $109.00 complete with the 3 sets of jaws. And as you no doubt know, it is still a very fine vise.
  7. Fred Krow Member

Litchfield, CT
    FT,

I purchased the old 3-Jaw Renzetti because of the very small jaws and additional hand clearance for tying with small trout hooks. The current Renzetti Presentation 3000 has only one jaw. I believe Renzetti has a few optional midge jaws in stock for the early 3-Jaw design.

I also have the Renzetti Master and the DynaKing Barracuda for larger hooks.

Regards,
    FK
  8. FT Active Member

Burlington, WA
    Fred,

I know well what you speak about with the extra clearance provided with the midge jaw of the older Renzetti's like yours. I honestly think that Renzetti has made a mistake not offering the Presentation 3000 with the 3-jaw option because if you are tying small flies, the midge jaw comes into its own.

I have a Dyna King Baracuda, which I got when they first hit the market, and I bought a midge jaw for it from Dyna King because it is far better with hooks #12 and under than the standard jaw, which is great for anything over #12's. The Renzetti Master is the only other vise I consider to be the equal of the Baracuda for versitility and quality of manufacture.

Prior to getting the Baracuda, I went through a lot of vises by wearing them out. This included some highly thought of ones. The first thing that wore out on the others was the jaws and it got old replacing them every few years.
  9. Southsound Steve Cole - Nisqually and Adjacent Environs

Fellas...

Finally got to the photos...

Steve
  10. lily r New Member

titusville, fl
    Hello Steve, this is Lily Renzetti, you do have a Pres. 4000. not a P3000.
    The Presentation 4000 was introduced late in 1980.

The original Pres.3000 looks like what FK posted earlier. Since then we have redesigned that vise to accomodate the new flytying material and hooks and therefore the reason for one jaw. There are still some of the original jaws available for those "vintage" P3000.
    Lily Renzetti
  11. Flyn'dutchman Member

Wenatchee, WA
    Looks identical to my Presentation 4000 minus the nylon screw on the rotary head to lock down the rotation. My 4000 also has blued jaws. I have a set of traveler, cam, midge jaws that screw right on.