olive willy or red olive willy

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by luv2fly2, May 12, 2009.

1. Coach Duff

Coach Duff Banned or Parked

Media:
    Everyone has a "special method" but in lakes William and me liked a 15-18 foot flouro leader in 5x or 6X. William used a hand over hand retrieve with two kicks and and the subsequent drift. Fish often hit on the fall of the fly. Sometimes we anchored up and worked it with slow 3-4 strips and then gave it a nice tug or "pop" imitating the dragon fly nymph taking off. Fish often hit that on the drop also just as they do with all dragon imitations. My favorite way of all was in Elle Lake during it's good days years ago. I would kick up to the top of the lake with a type 5 sink and long flouro leader and just wind drift down to the bottom. The Willie would barely touch the tops of the weed beds under me, snagging every blue moon. It was mindless, lazy day trolling and just as I was ready to take a nap my rod would get slammed and wake me into laughter. I would do this all day. One day William and I landed over 30 trout over 18 inches doing this. Each of us landed over 15 pigs. We drove back to Seattle in silence which is something neither William or I ever seemed to be able to do for long. Completely satisfied, happy, silly, "things really went our way today" silence. It was a drive and mood I'll always remember for it's perfection. Hope that helps. Coach

2. scottflycst

scottflycst Active Member

A strip and pause retrieve on a clear intermediate line works well for me. You'll have to fish different depths to find the fish, but when you do fish of all education levels will take the Olive Willy.

3. bighugetrout

bighugetrout New Member

Long live the Olive Willy! I'm not surprised certain individuals have taken credit for William's fly. He's a generous man to a fault. I'll pass this post along to him.

[​IMG]

4. Reelucky

Reelucky New Member

You keep talking like William is dead. What gives? I am new to this forum and like many others became friends with William at Swede's, fished with him and learned to enjoy getting through that crusty exterior.

I haven't spoke to him in years. He is still alive and well...?

5. bighugetrout

bighugetrout New Member

He's alive and well up north on Whidbey Island.

6. Reelucky

Reelucky New Member

Wonderful. Good to here. Whidbey huh? Thought he would have moved near his favorite lake on Bainbridge.

7. bighugetrout

bighugetrout New Member

He looked for homes at Lone Lake but they were out of his price range. If you'd like to contact him, send me a pm and I'll reply with his info. He would love to hear from his old friends.

8. Reelucky

Reelucky New Member

TY I know the red headed UPS child would want talk to him as well.